Ask me anything - nutrition coach

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    dolorsit wrote: »
    I'm not American so I don't understand gallon,ounces,miles etc. so could you tell me how much is 1 gallon in glasses.

I can't find what the definition of a glass is. But a US gallon, just like a US fluid ounce is specific to the US. In metric, one US gallon is approximately 3.8 litres.

I actually did Google 128 ounces and it says 25.6 glasses! 25 glasses of water? Now I am not an expert in nutrition and fitness like a lotta people out here but isn't 25 glasses of water too much?

What size are the glasses? Glass wouldn't work as a measurement here, as they come in many different sizes. For water, 3.8 liters is 3.8 kg. And yeah, I think it's more than many need, less than some need (as PAV illustrated), and would go by color of your pee if concerned you might not be drinking enough.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I’m wondering why people are so concerned with all this. The guy is giving advice, for free, on an Internet forum. He’s not the nutritionist of the Mayo Clinic, nor did he say he was. Take his advice or don’t. Drink 3/4 a gallon of water if a gallon is too much. Drink none, nobody cares. I haven’t seen him giving advice that would have anyone hurting themselves in regard to lifting weight either. Lift to failure or leave a couple in the tank. Or don’t, once again, nobody cares.
    People give advice on apple cider vinegar, cleanses, starvation mode, etc. On an open forum, there will be people who don't engage and MAY take that advice as gospel because they are unknowledgeable on the subject. Having other viewpoints gives that same lurker more information. At least that way they can make a more informed decision. Right?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

They don’t need more information then the one I give them; that’s why I made this thread they everyone is hijacking. trust me. If I don’t know about a topic; I’ll gladly say so. I don’t know everything and I hate bro science so I’ll never spew *kitten* at no one
    1 gallon of water a day as a general rule is broscience my man.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Is a gallon of water a day "broscience"? Yes. Absolutely. Is it applicable to everyone? Of course not. Is it bad advice? Uhhh.... if it gives someone a target to shoot for, maybe not. If it crowd out calorie containing beverages? Yes, imho. I go back to the differences in psychology between people. Some people dont like "rules". They buck them every chance they get. Then there are others that love structure. It's an interesting idea.

**edit** In my line of work, I see a lot of urine. No, I'm not in the adult fetish industry. Well, maybe. Some ladies, and gents, like a man in scrubs. Anyways, many of my patients are chronically dehydrated. Many work in the heat in outside jobs and sweat constantly. I get loads of guys who get "bear caught" during the summer months and require i.v. hydration. I tell almost all of them in my clinic to try and get atleast 1 gallon of water a day or more, especially if they sweat a lot.

Agree, not researching but I would bet more people have health issues to do dehydration as opposed to over-hydration.
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I'm not American so I don't understand gallon,ounces,miles etc. so could you tell me how much is 1 gallon in glasses.

I can't find what the definition of a glass is. But a US gallon, just like a US fluid ounce is specific to the US. In metric, one US gallon is approximately 3.8 litres.

I actually did Google 128 ounces and it says 25.6 glasses! 25 glasses of water? Now I am not an expert in nutrition and fitness like a lotta people out here but isn't 25 glasses of water too much?

What size are the glasses? Glass wouldn't work as a measurement here, as they come in many different sizes. For water, 3.8 liters is 3.8 kg. And yeah, I think it's more than many need, less than some need (as PAV illustrated), and would go by color of your pee if concerned you might not be drinking enough.

Glass size->200 ml. My urine is pale yellow.
  • sandboxfitness
    sandboxfitness Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I’m wondering why people are so concerned with all this. The guy is giving advice, for free, on an Internet forum. He’s not the nutritionist of the Mayo Clinic, nor did he say he was. Take his advice or don’t. Drink 3/4 a gallon of water if a gallon is too much. Drink none, nobody cares. I haven’t seen him giving advice that would have anyone hurting themselves in regard to lifting weight either. Lift to failure or leave a couple in the tank. Or don’t, once again, nobody cares.
    People give advice on apple cider vinegar, cleanses, starvation mode, etc. On an open forum, there will be people who don't engage and MAY take that advice as gospel because they are unknowledgeable on the subject. Having other viewpoints gives that same lurker more information. At least that way they can make a more informed decision. Right?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

They don’t need more information then the one I give them; that’s why I made this thread they everyone is hijacking. trust me. If I don’t know about a topic; I’ll gladly say so. I don’t know everything and I hate bro science so I’ll never spew *kitten* at no one

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

You're basically only spewing "bro science" at this point.

I agree with the arrogance comment. This is a public forum, it's not "your thread", you can't tell people to "stay out of it". People are trying to engage in discussion, clarify things, question assumptions, add context - these are all perfectly valid.

If, as you said above, you really are only reading the first sentence of comments and ignoring the rest because you've decided (without reading it) that it's irrelevant, how is anyone supposed to take your advice seriously?

I really hope any newcomers on this thread see the overwhelming number of disagrees you have received and read all the questions and push back before blindly following your "advice".

It is my thread, it literally said ask ME anything. Lmaooo
  • sandboxfitness
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Is a gallon of water a day "broscience"? Yes. Absolutely. Is it applicable to everyone? Of course not. Is it bad advice? Uhhh.... if it gives someone a target to shoot for, maybe not. If it crowd out calorie containing beverages? Yes, imho. I go back to the differences in psychology between people. Some people dont like "rules". They buck them every chance they get. Then there are others that love structure. It's an interesting idea.
    It's funny when I watch some people in the gym carrying around a gallon jug of water and they make 3 or more visits to the bathroom while they are there (I'm in the gym 3-4 hours working at a time). I get the bros doing it, but when I watch teens and average people doing it, I snicker everytime. Granted, some people need it, but in reality it's done because they likely read it online or listened or watched a gym bro.
    Don't get me started on cable crossovers for amateur starters.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Why are you at the gym for 3-4 hours? if you’re not out in about 1.5 or max 2 hours; you’re doing it wrong
  • sandboxfitness
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Again; it’s something to aim for. I didn’t say it’s the holy grail bro science detective
  • sandboxfitness
    Options
    I read the whole thread with glee then converted a gallon to litres (in the UK we like to dabble in ml, fl oz, pints etc as we feel)

4 AND A HALF LITRES OF WATER?!

I reckon I drink 2-3 litres and I already pee about once an hour.
    I wouldn't have time in the day to pee any more! :D

General advice here is 2 litres.

Then don’t drink a gallon; the hell is wrong with you people. drink whatever you want to drink. it’s a general advice. You guys have your panties up so far
  • sandboxfitness
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@Frompumpkin2cinderella
    Please ignore the advice about everyone needing the same amount of water - it's absolute nonsense.
    Yes for some people it will be too much, it may also be too little for some, on some days, in different climates, doing different amounts of exercise etc. etc.
    Just think of a 200lb person in a hot climate only getting their hydration from water, versus a 100lb person in a temperate clmate who also eats and drinks other foods and beverages that contribute to their hydration levels.

Hope you can see it's really bad advice that everyone needs the same random amount of water?

You made absolutely no sense. “Drinks other beverages” ? WATER? lmao
  • sandboxfitness
    edited May 2021
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I keep reading the bolded sentence and I WANT it to make me laugh because it's too stupid NOT to laugh at but nope!

They don’t, I made this thread to give my own advice; Obviously if they wanted someone else’s advice they would’ve asked your ignorant self, but they didn’t. they didn’t make a separate thread; they wanted help they saw me offering.

All these ppl here offering advice, that’s nice but you understand they’re posting in this thread I made states to “ask me anything”

NOT ask whoever you are. but sure; you’re welcome here.
  • sandboxfitness
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's funny when I watch some people in the gym carrying around a gallon jug of water and they make 3 or more visits to the bathroom while they are there (I'm in the gym 3-4 hours working at a time). I get the bros doing it, but when I watch teens and average people doing it, I snicker everytime. Granted, some people need it, but in reality it's done because they likely read it online or listened or watched a gym bro.
    Don't get me started on cable crossovers for amateur starters.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It’s funny when I watch people not drinking enough water like yourself and missing the benefits of proper hydration.
  • sandboxfitness
    edited May 2021
    Options
    If you get technical The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men. About 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day for women.

And that’s regular people that do not exercise. that’s 0.5+ gallon for males

Call the national academy bro science.
This discussion has been closed.