newly diagnosed and new to group

Options
Hello, I am new to group newly diagnosed type 2 my doctor has urged me to eat low carb under a 100 each day and watch my sugar intake due to hip/knee problems exercise is hard but i am working on it. biggest struggle is what to eat when your in a hurry to get out the door for work with small kids in tow.

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to open your diary so that members can see what you eat and give you substitutes, that you may not have thought about
    Yes, I know that a lot of people do not like doing this, but if you are really serious and want help, throw caution to the wind and get the help from the experience folks here
    My AC1 was 6.1, I am trying to get it down. Love bread, one substitute I did was to stop buying sliced bread and buy bread rolls instead. I find that having one bread roll a say satisfies my need and I don't have to give up eating bread
    I have brown basmati rice from Trade Joe's - 1/4 cup which also satisfies my need - I have stopped cutting food from my lifestyle, but eat in moderation
    The only things I do not eat - white flour, white rice. I have stopped eating legumes because I find that they give me serious indigestion and it's better to do without that having to take GasX
    Also I love cereal, use to eat it daily, now I make Sunday my cereal day and have a large bowl of cereal with either carrot juice or milk - that's my cereal fix for the week and I find that it really satisfies my graving and cut back on having all those carbs daily
    My diary is open for you to view if you so desire - I have missed some days, you might need to click back a couple of days
  • Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of suggestions:

1) Fiorucci Panino--they have several varieties: Proscuitto/mozzarella, Salami/Jack cheese, hard salami/spicy cheese, pepperoni/mozzarella. Sold in a 2-pack, 6-pack, or large variety pack. The 2-packs are super convenient to grab and go.

2) Prep egg muffins one day a week. Choose whatever fillings you like: I use steamed or roasted broccoli, grilled asparagus, ham, sautéed onions, cheese, garlic, dill, sausage, bacon, etc. in any combination that I have on hand or feel like using.
    Prepare a muffin tin (I use silicone) with cooking spray.
    Place your prepared fillings in the muffin tin.
    Beat 6 eggs with a teaspoon of baking powder and any spices you desire (I use garlic powder, dried dill, salt). Pour beaten egg into each muffin cup about 3/4 full. Depending on your eggs, you may have a bit of egg mixture left over.
    Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
    Check at that time and continue to cook until the eggs are completely set. Cool completely before removing.
    These will keep nicely in an airtight container or a ziptop bag for a week. Put a paper towel in the container or bag to absorb excess moisture. Grab one, throw it in the microwave, heat for 30-45 seconds. Sometimes I dip mine in mayonnaise or sour cream. Enjoy!
    You can also freeze these if you make a big batch ahead. Put them on a cookie sheet to freeze individually, then transfer to a bag.

3) Balanced Breaks snacks from Sargento. You will have to account for the fruit carbs in your count, but still good in a pinch.

4) P3 snacks--the meat/cheese/nut combinations make a great quick meal.

5) Cooked bacon and cooked sausage keeps well in ziptop bags. A 30 second heat makes it nice and crispy again most of the time.

Maybe that will give you a couple of ideas to start with.

Tracy in Tennessee
  • ricomincia
    ricomincia Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Prep is king for quick eats when in a rush. Have something made ready to just warm up quickly and eat. Low carb sauce with some protein etc. I've also used a meal replacement, Huel for a quick nutrition blast (black one has less carbs).

I've been type 2 for around 10 years now.

Read lots of things but the main thing that has worked for me is getting my body fat down and controlling my fat intake. Avoiding heavily processed food. Oh and ensuring I get exercise of course! :)

Its a minefield of information of the disease out there with lots of seemingly conflicting information.

Few interesting reads:-

Mastering Diabetes: The Revolutionary Method to Reversing insulin resistance by Cyrus Khambatta and Robby Barbaro

This focuses on moving to a plant based diet and gives plenty of details of research conducted on T2 diabetes.

Life Without Diabetes - Prof Roy Taylor
    This gives details on how to potentially reverse T2 diabetes using the "Newcastle Diet" approach.

Both will give a good insight into the disease and ideas for food intake that will help. In the end its about eating nutrient rich quality food, getting plenty of exercise and cutting out heavily processed food. Essentially you will have to make a lifestyle change. There is no quick fix.

I journaled my attempt at the Newcastle Diet here if you are interested: https://hueligansjourney.blogspot.com

I needed to shift some more fat after this but unfortunately put a little more weight on which I am now addressing! :)

Good luck with your journey. You may be able to reverse it so don't give up hope! :)