Looking for new friends on this journey to health

Options
PerfectlyImperfect2021
PerfectlyImperfect2021 Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2021 in Introduce Yourself
Hello :) I’ve been on MFP off and on for years, but this is my first post. I am hoping to find some new positive friends here so we can motivate, encourage, and inspire each other! I feel like it’s easier to go through things when people can actually relate to your struggles and what you’re going through. I have a lot of weight to lose, but I also want to work on getting healthier in general beyond the scale.

A little about my struggle:

I’ve been overweight weight since I was a child. I did countless diets, Weight Watchers, took prescription weight loss pills and even contemplated weight loss surgery.

When I was pregnant with my daughter in 2010, I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. They thought it would go away after I delivered her, but it got worse. My levels were dangerously low. I was cold and tired all the time. Kept gaining weight. Mood swings were horrible and the endocrinologist became concerned that I had thyroid cancer. After several inconclusive biopsies, my doctor decided it was best to not take any chances and he removed my entire thyroid. The results came back after surgery and it was not cancer. I’m grateful it wasn’t cancer, but now I’m left without my thyroid and I have to take thyroid medication every day for the rest of my life.

When you can’t get (the gland that controls your metabolism and soooo much more) your thyroid levels in the normal range consistently, it makes every day life that much harder. On the outside looking in, it looks like laziness. Tired all the time, can’t lose weight. No motivation or energy to get up and try to exercise, etc. I’m not lazy. Just tired. But I’m tired of being tired. I want my life back.

If your struggling with this too I would love to connect with you! Even if you don’t have thyroid problems, I would love to meet new positive people to go through this journey to health with!

Replies

• missshwe
    missshwe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am back on MFP after awhile too!
  • karengreenenc
    karengreenenc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I can relate. I have been on MFP for a while. I have Hashimoto's along with other autoimmune issues. The thyroid is a little organ but controls so much. I just got back from my dietician and I was telling her I was so discouraged because I can seem to get my weight down. Anyway, I will keep at it. Welcome!
  • PerfectlyImperfect2021
    PerfectlyImperfect2021 Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @missshwe Hi there! Welcome back :)

@karengreenenc Yes that little organ controls a lot!! It can be very discouraging :/
  • jpwhetsell
    jpwhetsell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi PI. I just joined MFP today after my nutritionist recommended it, so I'm very new here. Your post made me want to reach out. I had my thyroid removed in August 1995 because of Grave's Disease. Fortunately my levels are well controlled with medication, but I remember when it wasn't. I hope you don't beat yourself up about your energy levels and what you can/can't accomplish. Just keep trying.

That's, of course, easier than it sounds. I tell myself the same thing.

I've been struggling with my weight as an adult, and gained quite a bit during the pandemic. Working with a nutritionist has definitely helped with my eating habits (both quantity and quality), so I feel like I'm getting healthier. Still, the weight isn't coming off, and that's discouraging.

I feel like I'm rambling now. I just wanted to say I could relate to some of what you're going through, and if you think I can be a positive influence in your life (and vice versa), then let's see if we can help each other out.
  • PerfectlyImperfect2021
    Options
    @jpwhetsell Hi there! Thank you for sharing! You weren’t rambling at all! I felt like I was rambling with my post! I am so happy to hear your levels are good! I just recently switched Thyroid meds so I’m hoping to get my range stable soon. I think we could absolutely encourage each other!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    You have a long road ahead of you and you are going to have to learn what works for you because everyone is different.
    I had my thyroid out in my 20s - thyroid cancer - it took a while to get my body in motion because you have to get the correct medication dosage - I am not 64 - so that should tell you how long I have been living with this
    I take snythroid - totally refuse to take the generic - some people will tell you that there is nothing wrong with the generic, but I know my body and when I take generic, it just doe snot feel right.

It got so bad that I pay for the medication myself, this way I am not upset with the insurance company or the pharmacy who seem to tell you that all medications are the same - that's bull.
    I ask my Doctor to write on the script that I must be given Synthroid and ensure that the pharmacy place on my file No Generic

Regarding food - there are certain things I do not eat or drink - sodas, soy (I use to eat soy then I realize how it was affecting me and put a stop to it), white flour, white rice, fried foods, cut way back on sugar, sodium
    I eat brown rice, lots of vegetables (stopped eating meat/chicken over 40 years ago), right now found out that legumes give me indigestion, so have to make changes to my diet.

I use to eat cereal daily, now I eat it on Sunday - a large bowl with either milk or carrot juice - that's my fill for the week and it keeps me satisfied and looking forward to that Sunday cereal feast

Love bread - but refused to have sliced bread in the house because I will eat at least 4 slices - I now buy bread rolls and eat one roll once a day and I am happy with that - sometimes I may eat it every couple of days, but just knowing that I have the bread roll within the calories means I am not pinning for it

I am lactose intolerant so have lactose milk or carrot juice with either my smoothies or cereal
    I eat fish, but it have to come from the sea, otherwise I am extremely nauseous - don't eat seafood

One thing you will have to do is exercise EVERY day, whether it just walking for an hour, but you have to keep moving daily, otherwise it will take a long time for the weight to shift
    Once I am moving, the weight comes off, once I stop, it returns or my weight stay static

What you have to realize is that not having a thyroid places a lot of pressure on folks like us and many people do not understand
    Before losing my thyroid, I could eat anything and not put on an ounce of weight, once it went, my life changed drastically, at first I did not make the change and it took me a long time to do so

As I said you can lose weight, but you have to read up on living without your thyroid, how to go about having a healthy live and tackle the weight gain that comes with it.

My diary is open if you want to see what kinds of things I eat - bear in mind that we are all different, but looking might give you an idea

One other thing made sure to have your Vitamin D levels check when you go for your annual appointment - mine was extremely low and I was wondering why am I feeling like crap - well I had to start taking Vitamin D3 2000iu and it was like night and day - the fog was lifted from my brain. I take a plant based Vitamin D 3 - by MegaFood.

Hope this helps
  • PerfectlyImperfect2021
    Options
    @socajam Thank you so much!!! Very good advice! I recently read about vitamin D deficiencies and I am experiencing the symptoms of it for sure! I will have my doctor check those levels. I agree 100% on not taking generic thyroid meds! I know I have to make a lot of changes with my diet. My issue is getting my mind wrapped around doing it :/