Weight loss without exercise

I was wondering if anyone has not done exercise but counted calories and lost weight

Replies

• calebwilsonRD
    calebwilsonRD Posts: 2 Member
    Hi Sarahozigi,

First, You should know that without knowing your exact situation I can only provide general information. If you don't mind sharing more about your situation and your goals I would be more than glad to provide individualized recommendations for you.

Second, what you eat and how much eat has the most impact on weight. Your body needs a certain amount of energy from food, called calories, to maintain and perform basic living functions. You would require this base level amount even if you laid in bed all day and did nothing. Consuming your base level amount of calories needed would have your break even with calorie needed thus leading to maintaining your current weight.

On the other hand, when you consume less than the base level amount needed to maintain and perform basic living functions you will be in a calorie deficit. Over a period of time this would eventually lead to weight loss because you consumed less calories than your body needs. Your body will begin to break down fat stores in the body and in some cases break down muscle for energy resulting in weight loss.

What I would recommend in general is:

1) Finding out what amount of calories you need to maintain your current weight.
    2) Start with making small adjustments like reducing your overall calories per day by 200-300 calories a day
    3) Track your calories in a food tracker like MyFitnessPal
    4) Add foods high in fiber, protein, and make sure you drink plenty of water
    5) This is not a one week wonder type of solution. This takes time and consistency most of all

I hope this helps and feel free to reach out with any questions! I am a nutrition coach and my passion is empowering people to reach their goals!

-Caleb Wilson, RD
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    when i lost my first 50 pounds, i didn't exercise - just consumed less calories.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    @sarahozigi - yes. Absolutely. My first 4 months tracking on MFP I did not engage in any intentional exercise. I lost 49 pounds during that time. (Starting weight was 286.5). After 4 months I decided that I needed to add strength training to the equation because I was losing muscle along with the fat and I wanted to try to slow the muscle loss. Dropping 50 pounds gave me a lot more energy and lifting weights gave me a new-found confidence in my body. I began adding more intentional exercise, taking longer walks and eventually took up long distance running and rowing. But it was a slow and gradual process from couch potato to athlete. You don't have to become an athlete to lose or maintain weight - it was just something I wanted to do as more weight came off.

When you first start eating at a deficit and tracking every thing you eat, it can be hard. Tracking can be mentally taxing and eating at a deficit is certainly physically and mentally taxing. It can sap your energy at first. So, if you aren't up to exercise right now, that's okay. You can spend your first month or two just getting the food part down. As your confidence in being able to manage eating at a deficit goes up, then think about adding additional exercise, especially strength training. Or not. That's okay too.
  • Back_4_more
    Back_4_more Posts: 92 Member
    When I need to lose weigh I stop working out and just focus on a calorie deficit
  • Cococookies82
    Cococookies82 Posts: 9 Member
    How much did you loose and how long
  • cazzcampbell
    cazzcampbell Posts: 22 Member
    Exercise isn’t really about weight loss, it won’t ever contribute that much. It’s about health and fitness. So yes, you can lose weight without exercise.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    I have damage to my feet and so lost my first 50 lbs without exercise. But that has given me enough pain relief to begin to move more, and I am starting to do some strength training.
  • Velvetpixels
    Velvetpixels Posts: 51 Member
    Is there a reason you can’t/won’t exercise? Yes you can lose weight through ‘dieting’ alone but if you’re interested in your health you’ll want to eat well and exercise.
  • Cococookies82
    I have depression find it hard to get out of bed plus bad knees
  • Velvetpixels
    Velvetpixels Posts: 51 Member
    sarahozigi wrote: »

Been there girl . Depression is a civil war inside your own self . Thinking oh I don’t feel like it ... isn’t good enough . You have to set your alarm, get up, get out and go. And I KNOW how good you’ll feel after. With depression. never think... just do
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    sarahozigi wrote: »

I walk outside for depression, not weight loss. I need the sunshine, fresh air, change of scenery.

• Cococookies82
    I am trying to do 10000 steps a day