How to deal with a mom that wants me to get fat?

Options
I have a mom who constantly tells me to stop counting calories and eat. She makes a ton of baked gods and cookies; they're always the one's I specifically like. She forces me to eat them and enjoys watching me get fat. Today I decided to take one day off from counting to please my mom and binged on home-made muffins. She said "good, I'm glad you ate them all". She didn't dare take one. She just watched me eat muffin after muffin. I guess it's also my fault for not having any control, but how do I get over this guilt caused by over eating and deal with my mom's constant nagging? I'm not a child any more. I'm at a healthy weight and maintaining it in a healthy matter (exercising and eating at maintenance). My mom makes me feel guilty for trying to maintain a healthy weight. Any suggestions?

Replies

• CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just say your not hungry now and you will eat it later. When she is not looking, just throw the stuff out (where she wont see it). Tell her you eat them and they are very good. She is happy you are happy and sugar and flour is cheep. Even if it did cost a lot how could you put a price tag on your health.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law used to do that. After I asked her politely to stop it and she continued, I started to throw away anything she brought over as soon as she brought it in the door. Only took her twice before she got the message.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Just say your not hungry now and you will eat it later. When she is not looking, just throw the stuff out (where she wont see it). Tell her you eat them and they are very good. She is happy you are happy and sugar and flour is cheep. Even if it did cost a lot how could you put a price tag on your health.

I would say that you're not hungry but not that you'll eat it later, that just encourages her to continue, refuse to eat it and letting it go to waste would probably be more effective.
    Personally I also wouldn't be allowing my son to up his junk food intake purely because you are staying with your mum, junk food (donuts, cookies, fast food etc) should be the occassional treat not an every day occurance, without making a big deal about it start him on a healthy diet (I'm saying don't make a big deal out of it because of an article I read yesterday about 6 year old wanting to do the Juice Cleanse Diet because they see their parents doing them)!!
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If I may ask, is your mom fat?

Just a thought that she probably wants a company. Just maybe.
  • amyfullbrook
    amyfullbrook Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have the same sort of issue with my mother in law. She works in a deli and likes to buy chocolates, cakes and jams to us when she comes over even though she knows I have changed my lifestyle and would prefer not to eat them. I just always say no thank you when she cracks them open, and continue to eat my dried fruit or whatever it is I'm munching on. If I'm not eating with them, I get up and do something else until they're done :) Then I'm not tempted to throw in the towel and join them.
  • justhost
    justhost Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Food is tied to a lot more than nutrition. Notice how it's always mothers in these stories? A lot of moms get pleasure out of watching their children eat and if nutrition isn't a priority for them then I think they worry about losing that positive feedback.

For my mom it was gift giving. Once I got old enough that I didn't need her to buy me things anymore she would continue getting me stuff all the time anyway. Probably doesn't sound too bad but she'd insist, even if I didn't need the item, or didn't have room for it, and just wasn't interested in it. If I didn't want it she'd get upset because it was one of the only ways she knew how to show affection. She sucks at showing real interest in me. Was rarely that supportive of my endeavors. Could never remember any of my friends, accomplishments, classes, etc. But where she felt comfortable was buying us junk.

One thing you could try doing with the food is give them recipes that you can enjoy or tell them things they can buy you that you would still like. Maybe instead of muffins you can start getting fruit baskets or homemade protein bars, etc.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    This is abuse. OP, you are being abused. Others who have shared similar stories in this thread, I am so sorry that you also experienced this kind of abuse. Please do what you need to do to keep yourself safe, but put plans in motion ASAP to get away from this person.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I come from a meat eating family and they aren’t super happy I’m vegetarian now. My mom takes a lot things personally with her food. 1. Ignore them, they’ll get used to the new you. 2. Politely walk away when those things are offered. Just say no. She will get over it. 3. Start making and cooking your own food. This is your journey and you have to decide that being healthy and happy is more important than what your mom thinks. Sorry if it’s harsh what I said but be strong and stand up for yourself. You won’t regret it. Much luck!!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You do realize that this thread is from 2014 and the OP is no longer around? Carry on---I think.