Strawberry Peak #15/18

Located in the San Gabriel mountains waaaay down the Angeles Crest highway sits Redbox Canyon and the trail to Strawberry Peak. At 6,165 ft the elevation gain is 1,788 but most of that comes during the last 1.5 miles where you climb steeply up and over two false summits before the peak.7.49 miles out/back. Saw 8 people on a Wednesday so I doubt I will have anymore hikes without people - seems like schools out.

The trailhead starts out taking you gently up to a balcony trail that wraps around the mountains. You can still see significant burn areas from the wildfires over the past year.
3vbva9wf7n0w.jpeg
vavkjxtehq35.jpeg
oatbtsfefbxc.jpeg

At a small saddle you come to the trail marker where the climbing begins. Even by 830am it was getting hot.
d3nu2gmpjzur.jpeg
uwkcwmvowqxs.jpeg

Finally you get to the peak. Views of downtown Los Angeles but it was pretty smoggy.
a1ociu5jn3oe.jpeg
ea7z5ndn8qed.jpeg

Nice little midweek hike. Big peaks of San Jacinto and others coming up.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Beautiful! No Meetup then? :lol:

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Beautiful pictures!
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Beautiful! No Meetup then? :lol:

Haha! NOPE! :D
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    What an opportunity you have, living that close to those mountains! I just registered my husband and myself for a Mt. St. Helens "Volcanic Explosion Anniversary" hike. I have summited a few times in the past 5 years, and done a hike on the North side, where it blew out, but this is supposed to take us into a more restricted area. I was a kid when it blew and watched from my parents' front porch. I had a whole scrapbook about it (which has since been lost). It fascinates me. I love living near the mountains :) Thanks for all of the photos. You have some followers here!
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    What an opportunity you have, living that close to those mountains! I just registered my husband and myself for a Mt. St. Helens "Volcanic Explosion Anniversary" hike. I have summited a few times in the past 5 years, and done a hike on the North side, where it blew out, but this is supposed to take us into a more restricted area. I was a kid when it blew and watched from my parents' front porch. I had a whole scrapbook about it (which has since been lost). It fascinates me. I love living near the mountains :) Thanks for all of the photos. You have some followers here!

That Mt St Helens hike sounds awesome! Please post pictures of it! I remember when it erupted that was quite the explosion and my sister lived in Seattle at the time. I think all the people in Pacific NW have the most scenic hikes I’ve ever seen.