PPL split question

Options
_xsrs_84
_xsrs_84 Posts: 16 Member
For those of you doing a push/pull/legs split, can you give me an idea of what each day looks like in terms of number of exercises/time invested? For example, what does a push day look like? Are you doing 2-3 exercises per muscle, 3-4 sets for each, totaling 6-9 exercises on that day?

I know it’s ideal to follow an established program, but I have to work with the equipment I have at home plus my own limitations, so trying to tailor it to my needs.. and also seeing quite a few programs that only involve 5-6 exercises per day, which doesn’t seem like enough (??). Any insight is appreciated!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I would follow an established program in terms of overall structure, but switch out the specific exercises for the equipment you have. For example if you don't have a barbell but do have dumbbells, I would swap those, or do pushups at whatever level you're at.
    See the thread Which Lifting Program is Best for you in the sticky posts. Someone will probably post a link but I can't do that at the moment.
    Can you clarify why you feel the programs you're seeing that involved 5-6 exercises per day are not enough? Just follow one of those programs and add a set to each exercise if you feel you must. Better yet, add enough weight so that 5-6 exercises feels like a workout to you!
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    _xsrs_84 wrote: »
    also seeing quite a few programs that only involve 5-6 exercises per day, which doesn’t seem like enough (??). Any insight is appreciated!

Most programs only involve 5-6 "exercises" (lifts) per day because they focus on compound (multi-muscle) lifts, as opposed to isolated lifts. You want to focus on compound lifts before moving to isolations, which are really meant to either fine-tune a certain muscle/body section (bicep curls, for example) or correct imbalances (only doing left arm bicep curls because your right bicep is larger). Programs like SL 5x5 and AllPros focus on 5-6 core compound lifts and are popular and have stood the test of time because they work. The core lifts are barbell lifts, but you can adapt dumbbells or even resistance bands if you are limited.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    OP have you seen this site? It breaks down PPL, and the recommendation is 3-4 compound exercises followed by 2-3 isolation exercises. It also lists what those movements are, so you can build a routine suited to the equipment you have.

https://transparentlabs.com/blogs/all/push-pull-legs-routine-guide-to-ppl?gclid=Cj0KCQjwytOEBhD5ARIsANnRjVjf8FCx63eH7SvVQGsQX2WMDwQwfi6JsT8oDkLGxQNSxG2n-lBKxKgaAusrEALw_wcB

_xsrs_84 wrote: »
    also seeing quite a few programs that only involve 5-6 exercises per day, which doesn’t seem like enough (??). Any insight is appreciated!

Most programs only involve 5-6 "exercises" (lifts) per day because they focus on compound (multi-muscle) lifts, as opposed to isolated lifts. You want to focus on compound lifts before moving to isolations, which are really meant to either fine-tune a certain muscle/body section (bicep curls, for example) or correct imbalances (only doing left arm bicep curls because your right bicep is larger). Programs like SL 5x5 and AllPros focus on 5-6 core compound lifts and are popular and have stood the test of time because they work. The core lifts are barbell lifts, but you can adapt dumbbells or even resistance bands if you are limited.

OP is specifically asking about PPL splits. SL 5x5 and AllPro are not that sort of program...