Identified Exercise logging from a fitbit device

Options
JoDavo66
JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
My steps & calories "earned" from my fitbit log but only as steps not the type of exercise yet they appear in FB app as walk or workout.
I've noticed other people's log on their posts - is this dependent on the make of device or have I missed a setting somewhere when I linked my fitbit?

Replies

• sdailly13
    sdailly13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I tend to ignore extra calories I'm allowed to eat from steps ect on Fitbit. I prefer to stick too how many calories I know is right for my height and weight. It seems to work for me in maintaining my weight. I think if you look at the fact you have walked over say 10,000 steps today then you can add another 3 or 4 hundred calories in to your total for the day guilt free then it's a slippery slope.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    JoDavo66 wrote: »
    My steps & calories "earned" from my fitbit log but only as steps not the type of exercise yet they appear in FB app as walk or workout.
    I've noticed other people's log on their posts - is this dependent on the make of device or have I missed a setting somewhere when I linked my fitbit?

Are you talking about the posts that are like "Suzie_MFP_User burned 1,091 calories doing 102 minutes of cardio exercises, including "Elliptical Trainer""?

If so, those generally happen when someone logs exercise via the MFP database.

If you synch a fitness tracker, some of them just tell MFP how many calories they think you'll burn for the day including your activities, and MFP compares that to how many calories it thinks you'd burn based on your profile settings, and adjusts on that total-calories basis. (It's kind of guessing until the end of the day, in the sense that if you're extra active in the AM, there can be an assumption that you'll be that active all day . . . but if you sit on the couch the rest of the day, it will change the total adjustment before the day ends.)

I'm not sure; some of the device may send over workouts as such (labeled as to type of workout) . . . but I'm pretty sure not all of them do, rather they just do the calorie total adjustments without specifying the workout type.