Chemotherapy has messed up my body. I want it back!

Options
I just finished 6 rounds of RCHOP chemotherapy for a rare form of Hodgkins Lymphoma and my body is hammered. I was in decent shape before the chemo, but now I'm all flab. I had high doses of steroids during treatment so now my body looks like I've aged 20 years. My cardio is crap, muscle tone is crap, I heal like a 90 year old woman. and energy hasn't quite returned, so I need advice on how quickly I can return to getting in shape and what kinds of exercises I can do that will limit injuries. Any help would be great!

Replies

• jhoney8
    jhoney8 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My stepmom went through that. Be patient with your body. Chemo takes so much out of you. From what I remember, she went through a few months of feeling better, then worse until her strength started to come back (as well as her hair). You've been through a lot, just take it easy and concentrate on enjoying what you are doing. Maybe start small with some long walks or swimming or bike riding, low-impact stuff. I hope you have a positive result!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am so glad you are ready to get back on the horse, but I agree with the previous poster. You really need to take your time. Get your strength back. Be patient with your body. It is really important to listen to what it needs. Walking is probably the best way for you to begin. Eat all your calories and what not. Get all your nutrition. You will have a healthy body again before you know it! Best of luck!!! God bless!!!
  • iamrobyn
    Options
    Jake....Slow and steady wins the race. Stay strong in your fight. You will have all the cheerleaders you need here! I just sent you a friend request!
  • BabzillaRR
    Options
    Babysteps darling...

you'll be surprised at how they add up...

Don't expect results... focus on the process do what you love it's easier to be patient that way.
    Spend your energy on living a fabulous life.

Then one day you'll look in the mirror and say "when did I get so Hot?"

I know what it;s like to feel cheated out of your body.
    I know the anger and frustration and not being able to "get back where I was."

It took me a long time to accept my new situation, until I did I couldn't gain any ground.
    Once I accept where I was it was easier to make a map so I could get to where I wanted to be.
  • lesliecaren
    lesliecaren Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    From family experience it takes about six months after treatment for your body to get back to normal, be patient! Let your body heal itself.