i keep having heart palpitations. are energy drinks to blame?

Replies

• trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Always worth having palpitations checked out by a doctor rather than speculating as to possible causes.

I’ve only suffered them once in my life, thankfully, and it turned out to be due to an untreated strep throat infection that had migrated to the tissue of my heart. Potentially serious but very easily fixed with a course of antibiotics.

Get it looked at!

what if i phone the doctors and they’re like well obviously monsters are to blame and then look at me like i’m dumb. it’s not all the time it happens for example it was at night about 8-10 hours after drinking the monster and today it happened pretty much as soon as i started drinking it

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Do you mean up to 5 energy drinks a week, or should it have said per day? If it's really per week then you're drinking less than 1 per day, I highly doubt it's that.

Question not asked how much other caffeine is the OP consuming while drinking the energy drinks. If I had to bet, I'd say it's not the only source and the total intake may be causing the issues.

the only caffeine i consume is monster u less there’s caffeine in other things i don’t know about. is there caffeine in zero calorie fizzy drinks?

Could be, depends on the drink.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited May 2021
    Most La Croix flavors do not have caffeine but some drinks like Sparkling Ice do. Normally, it says so on the front of the can under the branding. Almost every brand of sparkling waters has at least one or two with caffeine now.
    58986twaru0w.png
    rw0acd8tyim6.png
    8cfasazhs1q4.png
    Walmart brands
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Do you mean up to 5 energy drinks a week, or should it have said per day? If it's really per week then you're drinking less than 1 per day, I highly doubt it's that.

Question not asked how much other caffeine is the OP consuming while drinking the energy drinks. If I had to bet, I'd say it's not the only source and the total intake may be causing the issues.

She did write she doesn't drink coffee and is not consuming lots of caffeine.
  • sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    I had a spell where my resting heart rate became abnormally low (even though I exercise and am quite fit) and I also had heart palpitations. I rarely drink coffee, but drink around 4 cups of tea a day (something I've always done).

I went to the doctor and had an ECG which didn't pick up anything, but had my bloods done and turned out I was anaemic and had a prescription of iron tablets for a month. I'm no longer on prescription medication but take an over the counter slow-releasing iron tablet (with added Folic Acid and Vitamin B12) every other day and this seems to have done the trick. Also, I increased the amount of iron in my diet.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Always worth having palpitations checked out by a doctor rather than speculating as to possible causes.

I’ve only suffered them once in my life, thankfully, and it turned out to be due to an untreated strep throat infection that had migrated to the tissue of my heart. Potentially serious but very easily fixed with a course of antibiotics.

Get it looked at!

what if i phone the doctors and they’re like well obviously monsters are to blame and then look at me like i’m dumb. it’s not all the time it happens for example it was at night about 8-10 hours after drinking the monster and today it happened pretty much as soon as i started drinking it

Pretty sure it wouldn’t be the dumbest thing your doctor has ever heard, so don’t even worry about that!

Also sure that if you give him/her the timelines of the episodes of palpitations and the times you’ve drunk an energy drink they’d be interested due to the apparent lack of direct correlation of the timings.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @trulyhealy You've told us your backstory and no one in their right mind would think that about you. I've read all of your comments and I've got your back. I care.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member

Get it looked at!

Healy--I know things can make you anxious and you've said that you love these drinks. However, if you think that they're causing these palpitations (which can be scary) why don't you try eliminating them for a whole week? If you have no palpitations, then they are the culprit. At that point you will have to ask your doctor what to do. If the palpitations are dangerous, you may have to find a new drink. Good luck dear. I hope you figure it out.

Yes, this is the right cause of action. Healy, please do try to stay away from those drinks for 1-2 weeks and see what happens. Drinking them and then palpitations occur isn't proof as palpitations can also be caused by expecting them to happen. Thus don't drink them for 1-2 weeks and just see what happens.
    Btw, while really annoying they don't cause any actual problems if you are otherwise healthy. Thus just try to ignore them.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member

the only caffeine i consume is monster u less there’s caffeine in other things i don’t know about. is there caffeine in zero calorie fizzy drinks?

Coffee, tea, and most fizzy drinks have caffeine unless they specifically say they don't. Caffeine has been added to many "energy" preparations. If you are in the USA, the caffeine content is on the nutritional label that is on it. It's good to get in the habit of reading labels.
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

Get it looked at!

My daughter got nothing but concern for a genuine problem and good advice from the Doctor. It's not uncommon and entirely reasonable to discuss with your Doctor. Don't imagine an outcome, just pick up the phone.

If for some reason you distrust your GP then dial the NHS non-emergency number 111 or go via 111.nhs.uk - I've used the service and it's been really good.

Good advice... Op do this ... could be some underlying problem & if not, you can work from there
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Many people get palpitations from energy drinks. If you’re already a stressed person, stay away from them.
  • trulyhealy
    @trulyhealy I have read some of your past posts, but do not recall if you have mentioned a past ED. I may be wrong, but I do believe you have shared some disordered thinking regarding food and/or body image. People with past or current ED’s sometimes have heart damage due to behaviors associated with those ED’s. Also, keep in mind that you are paying doctors for their work; this is part of their job. And like an earlier poster stated, they have heard everything already. Potential momentary embarrassment pales in significance if there is a bigger problem to be treated.

i don’t have an ed i’m just greedy and don’t under eat it starve myself i think the last time i kinda underate was a year ago when i was eating 1,300 cals max and doing 2 hours of exercise bc of lockdown but i can’t do that now it i tried so it’s not that

but then also i think it could just be the sugar. i had a mcflurry the other day and noticed the heart thing happening as it was eating it :0
  • trulyhealy
    i’m not sure if it’s my current high sugar diet or the energy drinks. i know monsters are bad for you but i love them so much and i drink about 5 a week maybe less sometimes

do you think it’s the energy drinks that causing it? i don’t drink coffee so it’s not like i have loads of caffeine (also will 5 lobsters a week reduce my life expectancy?)

High sugar diet and copious amounts of *kitten* monster drinks? Yep, that will be why your heart is complaining. Give it break and treat it better. But I’m guessing you know this already ...

yeah sadly i know this it just sucks bc i love monsters. if i could i would cut out all junk food and fast food but i just can’t do it. i would LOVE to not like chocolate or unhealthy food. i think the main issue is “detoxing” your body from it like i didn’t have take out for 3 weeks and then didnt crave it
  • southkonahi
    southkonahi Posts: 137 Member
    i meant monsters not lobsters

LOL, thanks for the typo laugh. I had been wondering how you not only could obtain lobster every day, but also how it fit into your budget! :)