Looking for shoe recommendations

Hello, I'm looking for recommendations for shoes. Pros/cons and your honest opinions. I don't plan on becoming a powerlifter, mainly for lifting weights and further getting Into shape. I was looking at the no bull trainers, metcon 6s, and just old fashion chucks. I don't really care about price and I'm.not looking to get 1 shoe mainly for squats and something else for DL . I'd like something all around good for weight training in the gym and ok for the treadmill but running isn't important

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I love my Metcons. Was considering the No Bull trainers but some reviews said they were quite stiff, which I don't like, and others said the laces fray easily, though apparently they give you an extra pair. The Metcons are just fine for everything as far as I'm concerned, both lifting and boxing and general gym stuff.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    For warmups and conditioning stuff I’ve got a cheap pair of barefoot shoes from Amazon. I use lifting shoes for my oly stuff (actually I deadlift in them too but that’s only because I’m doing sport-specific stuff). For everything else I personally prefer comfy shoes - which for me are barefoot. But I’ve heard a load of people absolutely love their metcons!
  • TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 815 Member
    I had read something about not using running type shoes, so I recently bought a pair of chucks for lifting. I’m far from any kind of power lifter myself, but I’m liking them so far.
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    I recently bought a pair of Asics (everyday comfort), but for my main lifts like squat, bench and deadlifts I switch into vans.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    I've had two pairs of UnderArmour lifting shoes that I've liked quite a bit; hard enough sole, wide toe box. The first pair (UA Charged Ultimate Trainers) I bought in 2016 and retired them from lifting last summer. They're in the same vein as Metcons but I fundamentally have a problem with the Nike's arches fit my feet.

Linked below is the current model closest to what I have.
    https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/p/training/mens-ua-tribase-reign-2-training-shoes/3022613.html?start=0&breadCrumbLast=Men

The actual pair I have now are these: UA Charged Legend
    https://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Charged-Legend-Cross-Trainer/dp/B01GU92S3G?th=1

Though when I bought my last pair I searched ebay for NIB pairs of the previous model and lucked into a pair in my size at $60
  • dharbolt
    dharbolt Posts: 15 Member
    all the shoes you listed are good. I have some Rebok nano 9 currently that I love. Try some on and find the one that fits your feet the best.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Brooks Walking Shoes are wonderful for stability. Not particularly attractive, thick wide soles, laces, only come in Black and White, but comfortable and supportive. I have had two back surgeries and an spinal cord injury and they are my "go to" shoes when I exercise or walk longer distances. Brooks also offers workout and running shoes that are much more attractive. If you are going to be lifting heavy weights, you need to protect your joints.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Brooks Walking Shoes are wonderful for stability. Not particularly attractive, thick wide soles, laces, only come in Black and White, but comfortable and supportive. I have had two back surgeries and an spinal cord injury and they are my "go to" shoes when I exercise or walk longer distances. Brooks also offers workout and running shoes that are much more attractive. If you are going to be lifting heavy weights, you need to protect your joints.

But you don't do that by lifting in cushioned shoes. Yes, you want these shoes for running or other impact exercises but not lifting. Stability and energy transfer is the key so you want a hard sole and a wide toe box so your foot can effectively spread under load and your feet are firmly rooted to the floor. I even suggest exercising caution about the flooring; those foam puzzle piece mats are really popular but some may provide too much compression and not offer a stable enough foundation for movements like deadlifts, squats or any sort of standing lift.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Joeyd727 wrote: »
    Hello, I'm looking for recommendations for shoes. Pros/cons and your honest opinions. I don't plan on becoming a powerlifter, mainly for lifting weights and further getting Into shape. I was looking at the no bull trainers, metcon 6s, and just old fashion chucks. I don't really care about price and I'm.not looking to get 1 shoe mainly for squats and something else for DL . I'd like something all around good for weight training in the gym and ok for the treadmill but running isn't important

For the weight room, I like my Nike Metcons...I've also owned a pair of Reebok Nanos and they were good too, but my preference is Metcon just for how they feel on my feet. Metcons provide a good solid platform for things like squats and deads or other lifts that you need to push through your heels, but aren't as stiff as a true power lifting shoe (which I also have, but have since retired to the back of my closet) and are also much lighter, so they are just fine walking about the gym and doing other things like box jumps, etc. Mine are ugly as hell and look like the 80s puked all over them...and apparently, that particular color scheme wasn't very popular as they were substantially discounted from the others.

Side note, I have bad feet so I can't really use them for anything besides strength and conditioning type of stuff. I've tried doing short 1/2 mile warmup jogs on the treadmill with them and my feet hurt afterwards...but I've seen other people get away with doing short bouts of warmup/cooldown cardio with them seemingly without issue.

For lifting you really don't want to use a runner or trainer. They don't provide a solid enough platform...you don't really want any cushion or give in a lifting shoe. Competitive power lifting shoes for example are extremely rigid and feel more like a ski boot when you're trying to walk around as they have little to no flexibility or give and the sole is rock hard. Cushioned shoes zap power transfer as they compress with weight.
  • michaelsmithpa
    michaelsmithpa Posts: 22 Member
    I have been lifting for years, at times heavier squats and deadlifts, have always worn Rebok high tops (classic), past 6 years been using Rebok Exofit hightops, flat bottom with good solid base. Typically 20 mins of treadmill daily 3.5-4 MPH with occasional 6 MPH burst. On Sundays 90 mins of treadmill speed and incline vary and my Reboks are solid performers for both activities.Usually wear pretty well with good longevity. I order 2 pairs at a time and have a new pair in my closet ready to go. Tried Nike high tops once, to stiff in the uppers and rubbed a blister on my ankle. wore them twice and donated them to the YMCA
  • happyness4me
    happyness4me Posts: 58 Member
    I like converse for lifting.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    I run adidas powerlift shoes. They are great for lifting. Its a hard sole shoe and adds a lot of stability.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited April 2021
    I am a new person re: weights.

I wear, uh . my feet.

As in I just take my shoes off.

It's maybe not fancy but it works, it's comfortable and it's VERY cheap!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator

I wear, uh . my feet.

A lot of gyms won't allow that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Adidas powerlifters ..had this pair for almost seven years
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

I wear, uh . my feet.

Truth
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

I wear, uh . my feet.

There is a big sign at my gym (0k, it's a regular piece of paper size) by the deadlift platform.

Says people have to wear shoes to prevent FUNGUS.

It kind of makes me giggle. Fungus. Still a fun word.
  • invaderbree
    invaderbree Posts: 27 Member
    I use converse
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2021
    Wrestling shoes, indoor soccer shoes, vans, chucks all are good options for deads and squats. We want good arch support.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Adidas powerlifters ..had this pair for almost seven years

Not particularly good for deads unless you want to resole.