An experiment in maintaining a 90 lbs weight loss

bubus05
bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
edited May 2021 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
So I lost roughly 90 lbs from May last year until April this year over a twelve month period, following my diet routine keto/IF/some hard core fasting. Age 50 male. I wanted to experiment with something.
Just to see what happens, for a week I put in 2500-3000 calories a day instead off the 1500 calories given to me by MFP. I pretty much eat everything from pasta carbonara pizza extra cheese to chocolate cake, fried chicken with chips. it was great. To counter the massive overeating I gave a challenge to myself, burn every single calorie on my road bike. I got on my bike every day equipped with my phone with the mapmyride app running. Some damn hard exercises, 50km rides followed by HIIT sessions on the hill. My fitness pretty much back to what it once was in my 20s I was able to pull this off, though after the week I am tired TBH. Guess what...I lost 3 lbs.
I love eating and that lead to my obesity in my 40s, I think this is the way for my weight maintanance. Eat what I want but burn the calories with exercise.

Replies

• mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Congrats on your significant weight loss! As for maintaining, the best thing to rely on is your scale (and/or the fit of your clothes). Data that you log and the projections MFP gives you are helpful pointers along the way, but the results of regularly weighing yourself will tell you unmistakably that Plan A doesn't work but Plan B is great.
  • sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    edited May 2021
    Well done on your weight loss and for keeping it off!

I'm fairly new to MFP and when I started in March my calorie goal was set to 1,200 to get to my goal weight (I'm female, 5ft 4inch, in my 40s). I've lost 9 lbs but am now maintaining at 118 lbs.

My daily calorie allowance is now 1,659. This is a lot more realistic for me, as I found that 1,200 wasn't enough and doesn't suit my exercise routine, as I need energy from food and can't function too well on low restriction.

I run around 30 miles a week, do 4 rebounding sessions and isometric workouts and go for walks. I do something daily (with the occasional rest day) and have done so for many years, but it was my diet that was preventing me from losing weight.

Now that I've fine tuned my diet, the increase in calories (from when I first started logging them), plus the deficit of exercise is helping me to lose/maintain. There are some days where I burn over 1,000 calories when I go for long trail runs, but I don't burn off all the calories I consume.

I don't eliminate any food groups and only eat back a small proportion of my exercise calories, however be careful burning off all the calories you eat. You don't want to end up over-exercising and getting injured.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I'd suggest checking out Audax events as riding on the same local roads can get repetitive - they are a great way to explore new areas and new roads using the expertise of the local organisers. They run events from 50km up to extreme distances.
    It's an interesting demographic on Audax events with riders of all ages including into their 80's still doing very long distances, at a decent pace, generally very slim.

https://audax.uk/
  • sweetdaisy13
    I'm looking forward to seeing your progress @bubus05 . I'd never be able to maintain without exercise, there is no way I could do it just by diet alone.

Glad you've found a sport that you love, as that makes a big difference doing something you enjoy. I run and mostly do trail/mountain running so for me I love the outdoors, seeing scenery that most people never get to see and I get a sense of achievement when I reach the top of a mountain too.

Re: bad knees whilst running. I've had knee injuries in the past and I cross-train by doing Rebounder workouts, it really helps as it's easier on the joint, plus it's a great workout and burns a lot of calories.
  • sweetdaisy13
    Hi @bubus05. How are you progressing with your maintenance? Are you still burning all of your calories through exercise?
  • sweetdaisy13
    That's great @bubus05. Well done on reaching your target weight too.