Bicycling/Bicycling with kids trailer

It has been years since I rode a bike, mostly because with a three year old and one year old I had no means to take them along. I was recently given a bike trailer and was excited to get them all hitched up. MY GOD it was HARD! I'm hoping it was just pulling the two kids. I am going to try a run on my own. The bike I used was actually left here by the previous owners when we moved in and the tires were flat. I got air into them but maybe it would be worth taking it in to be looked at? I know little about cycling. Any tips would be awesome.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I've pulled a trailer behind a bike.

It IS hard. Once was enough for me. We had three of us on bikes and we had to keep rotating who rode the trailer bike and about 15 minutes was all I could do. Granted, I was out of shape at the time.

One thing for sure, it's great exercise if you can get used to it/get fit enough.

• skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    I can't comment on the trailer thing. Cycling is hard for us noobies (or returners) to it. But also - and forgive me if you'd already considered this - but by 'got air into them'... did you get enough air in? The first few times I went out on my bike after a long time off, it felt like I had zero power in my legs... then I took the bike to be looked at (chain kept slipping off) and he pumped up the tires properly. Oh wow, the difference!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    Oh yes, pump up the tires until they're really hard! And also: how hard is the cycling without the trailer? Maybe the bike just needs a proper maintenance, or is not worth it anymore at all.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Photos of the bike and the trailer might get you better advice.

I would take it to a shop and talk to the people there about whether it's worth a tune up and maybe some upgrades. If so, lower gears will make your job easier. I would get really nice, supple tires to offset some of the work the trailer adds.

What is your fitness like generally?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Actually, this is a problem also with using a bike computer or phone to monitor your ride. They give a calorie estimate assuming your body weight. There is no adjustment for winter clothing, etc. A child trailer adds a lot of work, as I recall vividly!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    What kind of bike? Does it have gearing? If it has gearing, make sure you're using them to your advantage. I would take the bike to a bike shop and have them take a look to see if it is worth an overhaul or not. If it's a quality bike, a full overhaul can make all the difference. If it's a big box type of bike, many of the components will eventually wear and they can't really be replaced without effectively building a new bike.

I used to ride with my boys in the trailer quite a bit...definitely adds some work, but I have such good memories of those times and they are both avid riders themselves these days.
  • smittybobitty917
    smittybobitty917 Posts: 19 Member
    You won't set any speed records dragging the trailer around. Hopefully it's flat enough where you live. With the small hills in my neighborhood, it was torture to me.

The good news is you can exercise with them around via the trailer and maybe make it fun with games of iSpy, etc. You'll also really appreciate the power you can build up using the trailer if you go for a solo ride.

As for the bike itself, check your wheels for brake rubbing. Turn the bike upside down. Give the wheels a spin to ensure they aren't being stopped when the brakes aren't engaged.
  • MrsCauleyflower
    MrsCauleyflower Posts: 16 Member
    You won't set any speed records dragging the trailer around. Hopefully it's flat enough where you live. With the small hills in my neighborhood, it was torture to me.

The good news is you can exercise with them around via the trailer and maybe make it fun with games of iSpy, etc. You'll also really appreciate the power you can build up using the trailer if you go for a solo ride.

As for the bike itself, check your wheels for brake rubbing. Turn the bike upside down. Give the wheels a spin to ensure they aren't being stopped when the brakes aren't engaged.

I actually realized just yesterday the breaks are rubbing. I tried going on my own without the trailer and it was very difficult still. I plan to take it to get it looked over.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Biking is hard unless you're fortunate enough to live in a VERY flat area!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    @lorrpb are you still enjoying yours?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    @lorrpb are you still enjoying yours?

Yes definitely!