weight loss goal

Options
I was just curious about my weight loss goal and weather it was a smart one. I would love to be at my goal weight by May and in order to do this I need to loose 10lbs a month, is this too much?

Replies

• squishysangel
    squishysangel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    no...this is a good goal...and healthy speed
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    That's over 2 pounds per week. Some people can manage that for a while at first but it's extremely difficult to maintain that kind of weight loss and stay healthy. For most people, 1-1.5 pounds per week is more realistic.

You're better off with slower weight loss. This gives you the ability to create healthy habits that you can stick with for the rest of your life. In order to truly be successful with your weight loss you have to make lifestyle changes that you can live with forever. It's not just about losing weight, it's about being healthy.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    10 pounds a month is reasonable at the beginning, but you'll probably start to taper down to 1lb a week after awhile. 1lb a week is a *more* reasonable goal, imo. Good luck! :)
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 1.5 pounds a week, but I've actually been losing at the rate of 10 pounds a month, which I'll take as long as it keeps happening.
  • MandyJaneRose
    MandyJaneRose Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm going to maybe disagree, just because I know how frustrating it is to not meet a goal, and how that can really throw you off track. When you are first embarking on a large weight loss, if you are overweight to begin with, the pounds will drop off. Part of it will be water weight, a lot of it will be your body being suddenly "shocked" into a new routine, and the weight loss is easy at first. However, the cliche that the last 10 pounds are the hardest is TRUE. I guess it would be possible to lose 10 pounds a month, but that's only if you are on a strict, healthy diet that you never stray from, and are also doing a strict exercise regime. That's doable for the rich and famous, but it's not easy for people with little things like a job, a family, holiday mistakes, weeks where you're too busy with chores/laundry/life to get to the gym 4 times a week, etc. I think a very healthy weight loss goal would be 8 pounds a month for the first 6 months or so, and then maybe 6 pounds a month after.
  • missbuterfly
    Options
    Look at it as a journey not a race. Its taken me 17 months to lose 110 lbs but in only 30 in the past 7 months but during that time I lost alot of inches so measure yourself its not all about the scale. Take the time to learn healthy habits dont diet change your lifestyle that way you wont be as apt to gain it back. I havent made any change I cant stick to for life.

Good luck,
    missbuterfly
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's fine to have big goals, but you need to be aware that you might not make it to that weight exactly at that time.
    That's OK, as long as you are well on your way, you will be able to see how much you have progressed and shift your goal if you need to.

As other posters have said, it is quite possible to lose this much when you first start out, but it's going to be hard to sustain that right down to the last 10 or 20 pounds.

My best suggestions is to keep this big goal, but set some smaller ones too - and not all about the numbers on the scale, if you are exercising you may see that you get smaller even if the scales don't move so much.
    How about seeing goals for a particular exercise program you want to start or complete, the next pants size down that you want to be wearing, swapping unhealthy snacks for healthy ones? These kinds of things are going to happen more quickly and easily than waiting to see the magic 100 pounds less on the scale, and give you milestones to celebrate along the way.
  • stacyrhoades11
    stacyrhoades11 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I can see how setting a goal this high can be hard to maintain and frustrating if i dont make it, so maybe it would be wise for me to lower it a bit!
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    10 pounds a month is reasonable at the beginning, but you'll probably start to taper down to 1lb a week after awhile. 1lb a week is a *more* reasonable goal, imo. Good luck! :)

what she said.... I've been up and down a few times in my life, for a variety of reasons. In the beginning 10lb is easy and healthy to lose just by doing everything right. It slows down and 4-5 lbs per month becomes much more normal and easy. Knowing this makes it easier when your 10lbs suddenly turns to 4lbs.