Whats the best kind of ice cream for a healthy diet?

Options
I can not live without ice cream! So I need some suggestions on exact kinds and brand to buy. Thanks and if you are looking for some motivational friends add me!

Replies

• KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    skinny cows arent to bad....
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    Homemade!!!
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Skinny cow is the way to go
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I eat Ice Cream like I drink water and it's not really had an effect....my wife and I go to UDF damn near every other day and I get a scoop of Ice Cream (whatever kind) in a waffle cone.
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I honestly have at least one serving (1/2 cup) of ice cream EVERYDAY! lol it keeps me going/looking forward to exercising as it is my "treat". I love frozen yogurt! Chapman's vanilla is 100 calories/.5 cup!
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Check out Arctic Zero. It's not technically ice cream, but if you're watching calories and want to lose weight, it's the way to go.
  • Southernsister
    Southernsister Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow ROCKS
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    skinny cow sandwiches are pretty good....I'm addicted to the weight watchers Toffee crunch bars right now...LOL
  • fitnesspirateninja
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant - I LOVE coconut milk ice cream! There are some chocolate-dipped bars that are out of this world.* Health food stores usually carry them, and some regular-type grocery stores as well.

*Do not attempt if you don't like coconut.
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Turkey Hill Light Vanilla is 100 cal / half-cup and is excellent. I avoid the sugar-free ice creams, even thought the calorie counts are lower, because they have all sorts of nasty crap in there.
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I found skinny cow. A container is like 150 calories and it's just enough. Homemade would be the other option too, that's already been suggested. That way you can control the ingreedients. Another post from a few weeks ago someone suggested Artic Zero, but I've yet to find it around my area. I even visited the store that supposedly carried it according to their web site.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero. 150 cals per PINT!

The texture is a little off, but it'll do the job.
  • Licacorona
    Licacorona Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love Luna & Larry's coconut bliss ice cream.
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Get any kind that has an ingredients list you can actually pronounce and know what they are. And then enjoy it in a proper portion size, no regrets or worries. Ice cream will never be a health food but a little bit of every kind of REAL food in moderation is ok! When the ingredients start looking like lists of chemicals and artificial crap, steer clear!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Frozen yogurts, sherbert and skinny cows are amazing!!
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I like the Skinny cow or the Klondike Slim-a-Bear
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Dazs
  • Healthier4Life
    Options
    I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but I've heard lots of good about this product which launches later today: http://www.fitfreeze.com/
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    It's actually kind of difficult to make decent home made ice cream without moderate amounts of fat to keep the ice crystals from getting too big. I've tried various combinations for years and can't get anything decent without at least 1/2 half-and-half to milk or a custard base which just adds fat. You can make a decent dessert by making sugar free pudding with twice the recommended milk, letting it set the running that through the ice cream maker. It's not quite ice cream, but it's pretty good.

As for store-bought, maybe it's just me, but I think Skinny Cow tastes like sawdust mixed with cocoa and the texture is all slimy from the excess of carageenan that they include in an attempt to make it "smooth."

I really, really like Breyer's Smooth and Dreamy. My favorite is the Dark Chocolate Velvet, but all the flavors I've tried are pretty good. It also quite natural, which skinny Cow is not. It doesn't even have HFCS if you care about that, just regular corn syrup.

Serving Size: 1/2 cup Servings Per Container: 12
    AMOUNT PER SERVING
    Calories 110
    Total fat 3.5g
    Saturated fat 2g
    Trans fat 0g
    Cholesterol 10mg
    Sodium 90mg
    Total Carbohydrates 18g
    Dietary fiber 1g
    Sugars 13g
    Sugar Alcohol
    Protein 3g
    Vitamin A 6%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 8%
    Iron 8%
    Ingredients
    Skim Milk, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Cream, Whey, Carob Bean Gum, Beta Carotene (Vitamin A).