Tips for keeping track of calories when you haven't time

Options
I have 2 small kids very little time to keep track. Is pro worth it with the photo option or any tips?

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I don't have premium or an iPhone so I can't use the meal scan feature even if I wanted to, but knowing what I do know about the database and the, ahem, quality thereof, I don't think it would actually be faster to use.

I also don't have kids, small or otherwise, so I don't know how feasible it would be for you, but what I do is prep my breakfasts and lunches ahead of time and pre-log them, so that at least I have those meals accounted for. Sometimes I can even pre-log an entire day, dinner and dessert included, and then it's just a matter of sticking to the plan - I've already done my thinking about it and it's already logged, I can just grab this granola bar that I was already planning to eat and get on with my day.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I have tried the photo option twice. It was right about the food but not the calorie amount one time, the second time it didn't even get the food correct. After that the novelty had worn off and I honestly forgot about it until just now.

It takes longer to log when you start but it gets easier and faster. I am not even sure I spend 4 minutes logging most days but I have been doing it for more than 3 years.

• teamhugcpt
    teamhugcpt Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Do you mean the meal scan feature or the barcode scanner? The meal scan feature has been hit-or-miss for me. It seems to work best for common, distinct foods that are well-separated on the plate. I LOVE the barcode scanner, but occasionally it matches to a listing with incorrect or out of date stats, so you should still check the product label.

My best tips are:

Log what you THINK you're going to eat the night before, then update your diary as you go or at the end of the day. (That doesn't magically create the time to do it, but it's a lower-chaos time.)

If many of your meals are variations on a pattern, you can set up a single meal entry for that pattern with several options in each category. For example, for "meat/starch/veg", you could create one saved meal with roasted chicken breast, grilled steak, baked salmon, mashed potatoes, baked potato, rice, roasted broccoli, glazed carrots, side salad, etc. Then if you eat chicken, baked potato, and a side salad, you add the whole meal and delete the items you didn't eat. That can be faster than adding each item for every meal, or setting up a meal for each combo.

Using fewer ingredients and repeating meals more often makes logging a lot faster, but that's NOT a good choice if you easily get bored with your food.

You MAY be fine not tracking your lowest-calorie foods, like non-starchy vegetables, lemon juice, mustard, etc. I recommend tracking everything carefully for a week or two, and deleting those items to see how much that causes you to underestimate. If it's enough to matter (and pretty stable on average), you can adjust your calorie target to compensate. This is not for everyone and can become a slippery slope, so it's a good idea to verify it every few months.

If you know some foods have nearly identical stats, it doesn't matter which one you log. 2oz of pasta has the same stats, whether it's spaghetti or bucatini. Olive oil and corn oil have different types of fat, but very similar calories and fat grams.

BTW, you only mentioned tracking calories, so that's what I assumed in these tips. If you're also tracking macros, vitamins, etc., that may not all apply.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You could have logged all your day's food in just about the time it takes to make a new thread, seriously.

It takes me about one minute per meal to log food.

You could just write it down in the kitchen and log it later, that's sometimes what I do. If I'm out for a meal I sometimes take a picture of it and then guess the calories later.

I find it impossible to believe that an app would be able to give you calories from a picture.

Oh, yeah, that's a good tip too. At least make a note of what and approximately how much you ate *somewhere,* whether that's in your phone or on a scrap of paper someplace, and put it into the app later. If you don't have the time to weigh out, say, ingredients for a sandwich as you assemble it, at least note volume/quantity measurements as best you can. If you can carve out an hour or so to yourself, take the time to weigh out, say, a teaspoon of mayo (about 5g) to get an idea of what that looks like. Or how much butter you typically put on toast, that kind of thing (for me it's about 5-6g).
  • kendallpeak101
    kendallpeak101 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hear your struggle and I’m right there with you with 2 littles (6 and 1). I do have the pro version of MFP and I think it’s well worth it. I don’t always log everything I eat. But I think about it like this: “Today is a new day to make different choices. What can I do differently today that will help me reach my goals?” And don’t give up because of a bad day, week, month, few months, etc. Give yourself some grace and don’t obsess over the process. Your kids will learn from what you do and how you react. If you’re too obsessed with the app and eating perfectly every day, what will that teach them? If you’re constantly looking at the scale and getting frustrated, how will they handle that number when they’re older? Set good examples now and do the best you can. Good luck momma. You’ve got this!!!
  • LtHammerhead
    LtHammerhead Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Very simple: live a boring and predictable life. Make a menu for a calorie total and eat only what’s on the menu, no variation.
    No need to log.

But does it really take you that long to log?
  • DeButterflyx
    DeButterflyx Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for advise everyone very helpful tips. I happened to have a few mins to write that while holding my baby over my shoulder burping him earlier. I've a toddler I need to have eyes on at all times as they are into everything and trying to feed them is a struggle as they are gone so fussy and then a small baby who drinks bottles frequently but also lately wants a lot of attention. It's more the weighing out when I'm in a hurry I find a pain and then to search through the app trying to find the items etc
    It's now 1am I'm coming back onto the app which tells you ha
    But maybe writing down what I've had or taking a pic to remember and logging will work I'd just have to try to log it before the next meal because I'd be afraid I'd go way over not realising or meal planning for the week might work as it might give me a plan I can follow that I could also plan around the toddler as they are eating anything I can eat at this stage.
    Just has to be pastas lately won't eat mash, could eat rice one day and turn the nose up the next but I keep trying different foods as pasta everyday isn't great but that's a different battle ha
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    It's not always easy getting littles to eat! In my experience I continue to offer foods and eventually children eat them. I only offer very small quantities of new things first. Kids also like being involved in cooking (and clean up, though their version of cleaning up often involves more mess!) When they feel like they contributed, they're more likely to eat it, too. :)

I definitely recommend meal planning and routine setting. It's good for everyone's health, budget, and peace of mind!
  • rosiekin
    rosiekin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Logging only takes a few minutes out of your day, and for me it’s so worth it. Most of the time I pre log the night before so I have an eating plan for the next day, or sometimes the next few days. Any adjustments/amendments in my pre logged diary takes very little time. Even on my busiest days, I always find time to log. Logging is one of the main things that’s helped me maintain a 90lb weight loss for over 6 years so I’d definitely recommend trying to fit it in to your busy schedule.