Do I need a rock bottom?

Options
If I talk about my weight and body and relationship to food as if it is an addiction (which, it certainly is; my weight and body are ALWAYS on my mind... not five minutes go by without me thinking a negative thought about my body) then I have to wonder what it will take for me to finally start losing weight. I wonder if I need to hit a rock bottom, and it really scares me to think of what that could look like.
I know that I need to be the change, no one else can do this for me. I need to find a starting point.. I think that starting might be the hardest part. Routine tells me to sit on the couch and on the computer. I need to rewire my brain, to deprogram myself and find a "new normal." But how? When? What will it take?
Signing off... looking into myself for motivation

Replies

• Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    you need therapy to help those thoughts. they wont fix on their own.
  • haddock21409
    haddock21409 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Girl, I had those same thoughts, I couldnt even make love to my husband without thinking all those things and it ruined the mood obviously. Sorry if to personal but its the truth. You dont need counceling or therapy. I started out with slow changes like drinking water instead of tea or soda, eating an apple with a sandwich instead of chip, taking an evening walk because its nice out not because you need excercise. Do this for a week or two and then try working out 1 or 2 days a week and gradually work up from there. You can do it. I have been in your same situation and sometimes I still am, you just gotta dig deep down within and find the motivation you never new you had. If you need to talk or anything dont hesitate to message me.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Start small. We started by just committing to come here log on and go from there. After a bit you get confortable logging and being honest and if you have good supportive friends they help you start to reconcile what you eat and how it affects you. Then you pick one thing a week to change and before you know it you are on a different trajectory and you are now the change you wish to be. I believe therapy is helpful, but sometimes a willingness to stay on the path and take baby steps is a good place to start. It's possible some of those thoughts may begin to fade as you find your own formula for life and begin to like yourself again and who you are. I know I beat myself up more than I would ever let anyone else do to me and as I get healthier in both body and mind those thoughts have turned to confidence and increased sense of self. My wife (Hootsmamma 46lbs lost) and I started this journey together and this morning we were talking over coffee and it is amazing how far we have come and how successful we've been at this just by coming and logging everyday and learning as we go. It's the journey we have come to enjoy and the end result will be success for now and for life.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You're here, so you are clearly looking for a way to change. That's a great start.

Tje way I see it is that you have two choices - you could sit around and eat and wait for a crisis, or you could stop waiting for the right mood to hit and start making some small changes. Eat a healthy breakfast. Walk 20 mins a day. Cut out or down on soda/fancy coffee/alcohol/chocolate or other unhealthy snacks.

You don't have to change everything at once, sometimes picking a small goal and working towards that can get you started while you are waiting for "motivation" to magically appear.

(BTW, I'd rather have a rock bottom than a flabby one :smile: I thought this was going to be about an exercise DVD!)
  • TiffanyAnn127
    Options
    (BTW, I'd rather have a rock bottom than a flabby one :smile: I thought this was going to be about an exercise DVD!)

bahaha I didn't even think about "rock bottom," though I would love to have one!

Thank you all for your support.... its so hard to find motivation with friends and family who have never struggled with weight loss. Its so nice to have people to talk to who understand and don't silently (or not so silently) judge.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    You need to find some sort of motivation, a strong one that you can push yourself towards everyday. The best motivators are positive ones, like wanting to strive for a healthier weight, rather than saying you feel negatively about your body.

For me personally rock bottom was when I weighed myself and I had hit 195, which was WAY to close to 200 for me, and that was a weight I promised Id never reach. Since then I have been trying to lose weight, because I did not want to end up unhealthy and overweight like my family is
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

bahaha I didn't even think about "rock bottom," though I would love to have one!

Thank you all for your support.... its so hard to find motivation with friends and family who have never struggled with weight loss. Its so nice to have people to talk to who understand and don't silently (or not so silently) judge.

I'm glad that gave you a giggle, I hoped it didn't sound mean. But, it made me laugh!
    This site is amazing for support, I'm glad you've found your way here.