Do you eat before running? ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Options
Thoughts, experiences?
ยซ1

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I really prefer the feeling of running on an emptier stomach, so if I run in the morning I won't eat unless I'm doing more than twelve miles or so. If I'm running later in the day, I try to give myself at least two hours between lunch and the run.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Eating before running would upset my stomach. When I run in the morning, I run on an empty stomach. Sometimes I might have half a banana, but that's it. If I'm running in the afternoon, it's at least 3 hours since lunch, so I'm okay.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It depends. When I run first thing before work, up to about 8 miles it's before eating. Just some water before going out.
    Longer runs are currently anything from 10 - 20 miles, I really do much better if I eat an hour or more before doing those. I find it difficult to eat whilst I am running, (it kills my appetite), so need to have something to go on.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Anything < 10 miles, almost never. When I'm training for anything longer, I might have a banana or bagel with peanut butter an hour or so I before I run.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I really prefer the feeling of running on an emptier stomach, so if I run in the morning I won't eat unless I'm doing more than twelve miles or so. If I'm running later in the day, I try to give myself at least two hours between lunch and the run.

Similar for me.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Only something light, maybe a banana or some juice. The blood redirects to your stomach/intestines more-so after eating a larger meal, not ideal.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I don't run early mornings, so yes, I eat and run a couple of hours later, either late morning or early afternoon after lunch. There is always a minimum of 90 minutes between a meal and my run. The few times I have run in the morning I have coffee and a banana then run half an hour later.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    My best runs are on an empty stomach.
  • Analog_Kid
    Analog_Kid Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Yes. But it has to be something small. A protein bar (+/- 300 cal.) about 30 mins. before my run works good for me. There have been times that I "ran out of gas" during a run and I ended up walking all the way back to my starting point. So, I make sure I take in a few extra calories to get thru the run.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do better with carbs. My usual breakfast before a run is coffee with 1/4c soymilk and 1 tbs protein powder, half a banana, and some peanuts/pb and/or 1/2 graham cracker/granola bar. I ate egg once and felt a lump in my throat the whole run. If I'm out of banana, 1/2 apple.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    I can only run after dinner. But there are usually 2-3 hours after dinner that I go running. On runs of more than 10km I take some energy along as I run out of this. But I try to keep it down as acid reflux.
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Depends on when I run and how far. In the morning, no - unless I'm doing a longer race... half marathon or longer I'll have something light. I often run on my lunch break at work and then it's 50/50 whether I've eaten something beforehand. When I run in the evening - definitely. I generally give myself about an hour after eating before I run.
  • mariek1072
    mariek1072 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My best runs are on an empty stomach.

๐Ÿ‘
  • jeralar
    jeralar Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I ate a banana before running a 2 miles for a PT test in the army back in 2001. I ran it in 11:52 and promptly vomited after crossing the finish line. Never again. I run and exercise in a fasted state. Personally i feel better and perform better
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Depends on the distance. I will just have my coffee before an easy, mid week 10 km run but as the runs get longer during a training plan (ar the day of the race) I'll eat something carb rich and light an hour or two before the run. I hate the feeling of running with food in my stomach.
  • mariek1072
    mariek1072 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I've always just had water and coffee before running whether it's short or long:)
  • Godlord1488
    Godlord1488 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    my daily organic multivit(new chapter brand) and 2 biotin hair and nail gummis. then during i drink water and maybe a Bang and black.coffee.with splenda after. trenta size. helps me fast.from 6am to 5pm:)
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    It gives me stitch or makes me need the toilet if I eat too close to a run, so no.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    When I was running (hoping to get over this plantar fasciitis soon), it was always on empty stomach. And then I would even weight train fasted.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty cast iron stomach, so I can generally run within an hour of eating.

If I was doing up to about 4 miles I'd happily go out fasted.