Anyone gone through AIP (auto immune protocol)?

Options
moonangel12
moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
edited May 2021 in Food and Nutrition
It’s a long drawn out back story, but I have dealt with auto immune stuff for more than half my life (sick at 14, never got better kinda deal). I have trudged through flare ups over the years but this last one hit me hard. I basically lost a month of my life. I finally decided I was sick and tired of being sick and tired and took the bull by the horns by starting the AIP diet this week. (For those that haven’t heard of it it’s a strict 30 day elimination diet with a set reentry of foods to identify triggers). I have been gluten free for 9 years (gluten ataxia, possibly celiacs based on symptoms but I am not willing to eat gluten for weeks on end just to test... one piece of toast causes a week+ worth of issues).

I am not new to special dietary accommodations, my daughter has several food allergies/sensitivities that we work around. We are already tomato and pepper free so that’s not a big deal. Eggs are my struggle. And dairy. Those were my main sources of protein. I don’t dislike meat, I just don’t generally eat a lot of it. I am ordering some collagen powder which should help. I am finding ways to bump up the calories, but would love any ideas for both meals and snacks from anyone that has BTDT before. Sweet potato/cassava tortillas are my new favorite thing and will likely be a staple. Salads galore (found a recipe for an apple cider vinaigrette). Honey garlic sauce using coconut aminos for several meats (lunch today was bok choi and chicken). Going to try making some seasoning blends to add some depth and flavor. Made some toasted coconut butter (that will help the calorie intake... the first day I definitely was way under just because I didn’t know what to eat and was already due for a grocery store run. I haven’t actively tracked in several months but am going to start back just so I know I am getting enough).

Just hoping for some ideas and also maybe experiences. I already notice a change in swelling, I haven’t been able to make a fist with my left hand in a couple weeks but could today! Yay!

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I am not on this particular diet, but am currently more than 5 weeks into the LEAP Immuno-calm protocol based on my specific test results (working with an RD). I don't have auto immune issues, but definitely had signs of inflammation. It was actual my physical therapist (at least my 4th round in PT) that suggested I look into my diet.

Anyway, I have been gluten-free and (mostly) dairy free for the past 6 weeks, but was able to add in yogurt 1 1/2 weeks ago (it was a low-reactive food). I have noticed big changes. The chronic aches I had that I just thought were from getting older, working out and how my body is built are SO much better. I'm hardly bloated anymore, and if I am, it's from eating too much. Don't have headaches that need meds anymore (Other than those first few days without caffeine). I lost 11 pounds, even though I only wanted to lose 5 more. The crazy weight fluctuations I used to have are nowhere near as crazy. My mood is so much more even too. I'm also way less "stuffy." I just thought I had " bad allergies," but even now--right in the middle of spring allergy season (and I take almost daily walks), I don't even need to take allergy medicine every day.

I found the food websited Detoxinista and Minimalist baker have a lot of good gluten-free and vegan recipes.

What foods are you allowed to eat? With the exception of gluten and dairy, mine are kind of all over the place. The first week was ROUGH. After that I could add one food per day. I can't have all the seasonings yet (just added cayenne pepper yesterday and basil today). If you can have peas, I found a pea protein powder that only contains yellow peas. It's by Now Sports. It's not great and doesn't taste anything like the Whey powder I used to eat, but it'll do. I make smoothies out of it, or add it to my buckwheat or brown rice cereal. I've made brown rice flour tortillas that are decent. I also have been eating more lentils and beans (as I'm allowed)--making my own soups or even refried beans. I can't have chickpeas, because apparently I"m "moderately reactive" to those.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I did it years ago. I'd done GaPS Diet extensively before that so I had already done a lot of healing and had a pretty good idea of some problem foods before I started it. I don't really have any advice for you except to take it slowly and don't assume your problem foods are the same as everyone else's. I can eat eggs and nightshades all day long with no issues. A tiny bit of black pepper or anything made from coconut and I'm a wreck.

I do remember enjoying some recipes from hewon'tknowitspaleo and phoenixhelix. I'm not sure if either blog is still active.
  • moonangel12
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Unfortunately for the next 30 days no nuts, seeds, or legumes which covers a LOT!

I know dairy and gluten are issues for me, I figured that out years ago 👎 gluten was bad enough I nixed it from my diet (although I admit I don’t do well with watching cross contamination), dairy is inflammatory but not bad enough for me to stay away (which is a problem I recognize). Sugar is an issue for me as well, I just don’t know a baseline for it - can I have a little or no? Chocolate triggers migraines, and now that I have gotten rid of caffeine I am curious if it was hurting more than helping. I am pretty sure tomatoes cause issues - we don’t eat many at home due to my daughters issues, but I grew the sweetest cherry tomatoes last year - they grew right next to where my car was parked so I would grab a few every time I walked by 😂 realized my body wasn’t responding well and that seemed to be the link.

Really really hoping eggs won’t cause any issues 🤞 we have chickens and I eat (well, ate) eggs every day!

This is my starting point - grayed out foods are no go with AIP.
    sj57vyaraa0s.jpeg
  • krwestlund7
    krwestlund7 Posts: 13 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hi! Just getting started with AIP. I’m new to it, so I am also looking for tips and encouragement!
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for the next 30 days no nuts, seeds, or legumes which covers a LOT!

I know dairy and gluten are issues for me, I figured that out years ago 👎 gluten was bad enough I nixed it from my diet (although I admit I don’t do well with watching cross contamination), dairy is inflammatory but not bad enough for me to stay away (which is a problem I recognize). Sugar is an issue for me as well, I just don’t know a baseline for it - can I have a little or no? Chocolate triggers migraines, and now that I have gotten rid of caffeine I am curious if it was hurting more than helping. I am pretty sure tomatoes cause issues - we don’t eat many at home due to my daughters issues, but I grew the sweetest cherry tomatoes last year - they grew right next to where my car was parked so I would grab a few every time I walked by 😂 realized my body wasn’t responding well and that seemed to be the link.

Really really hoping eggs won’t cause any issues 🤞 we have chickens and I eat (well, ate) eggs every day!

This is my starting point - grayed out foods are no go with AIP.
    sj57vyaraa0s.jpeg

With the exception of no gluten, yours is quite different than mine, actually. I see 2 foods on your list that I should avoid as I am supposedly sensitive to them (turkey and grapes). I also am surprisingly reactive to acetaminophin, but not Ibuprofen. I'm also reactive to egg whites, but not yolks.

I've read conflicting information about dairy being inflammatory, but I suppose like anything else it's all individual. I just read today that yogurt can actually be anti-inflammatory, and interestingly I'm supposedly not reactive to yogurt. I added it in and wasn't sure it was causing issues, but I've eaten it a few more times and I seem to be good. I'm also supposedly not reactive to whey and certain cheeses, but am reactive to cow's milk. I haven't added in any more dairy products yet, though.

I really don't see any other good sources of proteins on your list besides meat/seafood, so I would think it would be harder to find other protein sources. Snap peas may have a bit more protein than other vegetables, but not a lot.

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    You might like listening to Dr. Sarah Ballantyne's The Whole View podcast

https://www.thepaleomom.com/about/about-sarah/
  • moonangel12
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

Thanks for the rec! I have listened to a few episodes of Unbound Healing and they have been helpful to mentally get set for this new phase in life - finding a “why” is so important! I listen to podcasts while walking and sewing 👍
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

Thanks for the rec! I have listened to a few episodes of Unbound Healing and they have been helpful to mentally get set for this new phase in life - finding a “why” is so important! I listen to podcasts while walking and sewing 👍

Thanks also for the one you listen too as well. Both of these podcasts 'support' eating meat, etc., and I'm a vegetarian. However, I still can find lots of little 'nuggets' of interest in educational/sound/solid scientific viewpoints.

Trying to make ones health better sure isn't a 'one size fits all' that's for sure....I sure wish it was😐
    Hugs to you and good luck -
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Just for some background, my wife had Fibromyalgia for years. We changed everything -- exposure to chemicals, diet, supplements. She had it so bad that one day she looked at me and said she just wanted to die. I spent nearly a year researching to see what we could do. Conventional docs, back then, told her to take opioids and gabapentin, which we knew would be horrible for her health, so she refused.

We green juiced for a year (celery, cucs, cabbage along with cilantro, ginger and pineapple), eliminated most sugar, all fried foods, cow dairy and gluten. We also really, really watched chemical exposure. As it turns out, many with Fibro also have MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity). My wife got better and better over time. Omega 3s, astaxanthin, magnesium and full spectrum methyl Bs helped a ton. So did making sure she got lots of cruciferous veggies and polyphenols.

She now works out 4 days a week (for nearly 2 hours!). She's 60 and looks amazing.

She, for a while, had a Fibro support group on Facebook. It got up to 3K members and got too much for her (and people wanted medical advice and she's obviously not a doc), so she shut it down. But before she shut it down, she noticed a very obvious trend among those that had recovered. And the people that did Paleo or keto didn't get better that often (at all to be quite honest). It was those that went gluten free/dairy free (or at least cow dairy free) and went to either a Mediterranean Diet or Dash diet that did the best (or GF/DF Vegan or the GF "Hallelujah Diet"). Very little meat and practically no red meat. Most that did that also recovered as well. I honestly think gluten is the most important, but cow dairy is close behind. I also think that those that did Paleo relied, too often, on meat. True Paleo is supposed to be all "grass fed" meat. The issue is that most can't afford all grass fed meat. I have known very few that actually do Paleo that way -- they buy the cheaper meat loaded with crap. Also, meat -- especially red meat -- creates an inflammatory microbiome. That's why all the docs are now saying that the Mediterranean Diet is the healthiest. They are seeing patterns in the microbiome that back that up. More scientific proof every day. I learned so much helping my wife that I now recruit (I'm a headhunter) in drug/microbiome therapeutics with some of the leaders in the field.

We eat limited sheep and goat cheese now. You really can eat well using those. P'tit Basque and Pecorino are both sheep cheese and P'tit Basque (you can get it cheap at Trader Joes) is a great sub for mozzarella. Pecorino is sheep parm. Manchego is also great and really cheap at Costco. If you look hard, you can find Sheep Feta (I just found some at Fry's).

Best of luck to you!
  • moonangel12
    Options
    Just for some background, my wife had Fibromyalgia for years. We changed everything -- exposure to chemicals, diet, supplements. She had it so bad that one day she looked at me and said she just wanted to die. I spent nearly a year researching to see what we could do. Conventional docs, back then, told her to take opioids and gabapentin, which we knew would be horrible for her health, so she refused.

We green juiced for a year (celery, cucs, cabbage along with cilantro, ginger and pineapple), eliminated most sugar, all fried foods, cow dairy and gluten. We also really, really watched chemical exposure. As it turns out, many with Fibro also have MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity). My wife got better and better over time. Omega 3s, astaxanthin, magnesium and full spectrum methyl Bs helped a ton. So did making sure she got lots of cruciferous veggies and polyphenols.

She now works out 4 days a week (for nearly 2 hours!). She's 60 and looks amazing.

She, for a while, had a Fibro support group on Facebook. It got up to 3K members and got too much for her (and people wanted medical advice and she's obviously not a doc), so she shut it down. But before she shut it down, she noticed a very obvious trend among those that had recovered. And the people that did Paleo or keto didn't get better that often (at all to be quite honest). It was those that went gluten free/dairy free (or at least cow dairy free) and went to either a Mediterranean Diet or Dash diet that did the best (or GF/DF Vegan or the GF "Hallelujah Diet"). Very little meat and practically no red meat. Most that did that also recovered as well. I honestly think gluten is the most important, but cow dairy is close behind. I also think that those that did Paleo relied, too often, on meat. True Paleo is supposed to be all "grass fed" meat. The issue is that most can't afford all grass fed meat. I have known very few that actually do Paleo that way -- they buy the cheaper meat loaded with crap. Also, meat -- especially red meat -- creates an inflammatory microbiome. That's why all the docs are now saying that the Mediterranean Diet is the healthiest. They are seeing patterns in the microbiome that back that up. More scientific proof every day. I learned so much helping my wife that I now recruit (I'm a headhunter) in drug/microbiome therapeutics with some of the leaders in the field.

We eat limited sheep and goat cheese now. You really can eat well using those. P'tit Basque and Pecorino are both sheep cheese and P'tit Basque (you can get it cheap at Trader Joes) is a great sub for mozzarella. Pecorino is sheep parm. Manchego is also great and really cheap at Costco. If you look hard, you can find Sheep Feta (I just found some at Fry's).

Best of luck to you!
    Very good info, thank you! I know I have read many many different experiences as to what works and what doesn’t... hopefully with trial and error I will be able to sort out what works for me. I know my dad has had the Mediterranean diet recommended for him but his addictive personality just can’t get away from his bread/beer heavy diet. I am definitely not a fan of the meat heavy aspect of AIP 👎 our local grass fed beef stock in our freezer is dwindling (bought half a cow) and who we got it from isn’t doing it this year. I do have some roosters I am growing out for the freezer.
    I am torn because with my thyroid issues, and family thyroid history, I have always been told to stay away from soy which eliminates a good chunk of protein options (need to research that some more I guess). I also get hives from several nuts (not a true allergy, but Oral Allergy Syndrome... but it’s enough of a reaction my allergist prescribed an epipen just in case). It’s so frustrating trying to muddle through what May or may not be best with so many different options and opinions. Definitely going to look into Mediterranean a bit more and see what exactly that entails.

Gluten, dairy, and sugar are for sure things I need to eliminate for the long haul...
  • MikePfirrman
    Options

Best of luck to you!
    Very good info, thank you! I know I have read many many different experiences as to what works and what doesn’t... hopefully with trial and error I will be able to sort out what works for me. I know my dad has had the Mediterranean diet recommended for him but his addictive personality just can’t get away from his bread/beer heavy diet. I am definitely not a fan of the meat heavy aspect of AIP 👎 our local grass fed beef stock in our freezer is dwindling (bought half a cow) and who we got it from isn’t doing it this year. I do have some roosters I am growing out for the freezer.
    I am torn because with my thyroid issues, and family thyroid history, I have always been told to stay away from soy which eliminates a good chunk of protein options (need to research that some more I guess). I also get hives from several nuts (not a true allergy, but Oral Allergy Syndrome... but it’s enough of a reaction my allergist prescribed an epipen just in case). It’s so frustrating trying to muddle through what May or may not be best with so many different options and opinions. Definitely going to look into Mediterranean a bit more and see what exactly that entails.

Gluten, dairy, and sugar are for sure things I need to eliminate for the long haul...

It's a lot to go through. Look into heavy metals as well -- cilantro, chlorella and spirulina (assuming the latter are from good sources) are great too for heavy metal detox.

Hormones also with women, in particular, are a major issue. Healthy hormones start with rest and putting down the devices at night, which is particularly hard when you're in pain at night. It's a vicious cycle. If you don't use Blue Blockers at night (or screen blue light app filters), you should.

Many women have success with HRT. We stayed away from that with the added cancer risks but my wife knew a lot of women that had great success with Pregnenolone/DHEA in combination. In short, they are precursor sex hormones -- they basically turn into whatever your body needs, whether it's estrogen, progesterone or testosterone. That might also be worth looking into as well.
  • moonangel12
    Options

Best of luck to you!

It's a lot to go through. Look into heavy metals as well -- cilantro, chlorella and spirulina (assuming the latter are from good sources) are great too for heavy metal detox.

Hormones also with women, in particular, are a major issue. Healthy hormones start with rest and putting down the devices at night, which is particularly hard when you're in pain at night. It's a vicious cycle. If you don't use Blue Blockers at night (or screen blue light app filters), you should.

Many women have success with HRT. We stayed away from that with the added cancer risks but my wife knew a lot of women that had great success with Pregnenolone/DHEA in combination. In short, they are precursor sex hormones -- they basically turn into whatever your body needs, whether it's estrogen, progesterone or testosterone. That might also be worth looking into as well.
    I feel a bit better about eating cilantro on nearly everything :lol:

Working on screen time before bed, a lot of times it’s me and my other homeschooling friend catching up via text so it’s hard to put it down. I do have the night screen mode tint on it so it cuts down on the blue light (was very obvious last night - I was working on our budget with my phone and iPad side by side, one with and one without the filter).

Hormonally I am probably a mess. Hysterectomy at 34, lost an ovary too. I am leery of HRT (and thankfully up until recently my lone ovary seemed to be holding down the fort, but I am wondering if it is starting to have issues as well. I had the longest hot flash yesterday and it was not fun! Plus the hair loss, skin changes, etc.) but have talked to a lady that does these creams that she rubs into her forearms that is supposed to be more natural (not sure the name of it, might be what you referenced?).
  • MikePfirrman
    edited May 2021
    Options

Best of luck to you!

I feel a bit better about eating cilantro on nearly everything :lol:

Working on screen time before bed, a lot of times it’s me and my other homeschooling friend catching up via text so it’s hard to put it down. I do have the night screen mode tint on it so it cuts down on the blue light (was very obvious last night - I was working on our budget with my phone and iPad side by side, one with and one without the filter).

Hormonally I am probably a mess. Hysterectomy at 34, lost an ovary too. I am leery of HRT (and thankfully up until recently my lone ovary seemed to be holding down the fort, but I am wondering if it is starting to have issues as well. I had the longest hot flash yesterday and it was not fun! Plus the hair loss, skin changes, etc.) but have talked to a lady that does these creams that she rubs into her forearms that is supposed to be more natural (not sure the name of it, might be what you referenced?).

Hotflashes are normally when your estrogen levels drop. Early in menopause, when breasts are tender and you can have endometriosis, it's usually too much estrogen.

What your friend is likely talking about is progesterone cream, which might help. For hot flashes, Black Cohosh supplements seemed to work better for her.

Pregnenolone/DHEA are supplements. They are taken orally and are precursor building blocks of hormones. So your body takes them and produces whatever you need. HRT is (somewhat) guesswork, based on testing levels, and trial and error with "natural" hormones, trying to imitate what your body should do on its own. Pregnenolone/DHEA actually use your body's own signals to produce exactly what you actually need (whether it's estrogen, testosterone or progesterone). The reason you don't hear about them more is that docs used to use them around 80 years ago, but then found out they could make more money off of synthetic hormones and continually bring women into to "monitor" their levels. Sorry, but it's all about money these days. DHEA is even illegal in Canada. Probably because it takes money away from big pharma and docs.

Still, always best to consult with a Naturopath or Functional Doc (Naturopath with an MD).

Here's a good article and some warnings on it (not for premenopause for some).

https://drsarahbrewer.com/dhea-and-pregnenolone-supplements#:~:text=DHEA and pregnenolone are both hormones that are,and is then converted into DHEA as necessary.

There are supplement blends that have both in them. Best to start very, very low with them and see if they even work for you.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I did the AIP and it was very helpful in uncovering some foods I was reacting to, and reassuring in finding those I can eat without fears of reaction. The reintroduction period is key; you’ll want to do it carefully, Pheonix Helix has a great guide for reintroductions, as well as a really nice weekly recipe roundup and years of old roundups on her website.

Be aware that collegen protein isn’t a complete protein, you’ll still want to find another protein source you can eat while you’re on the full elimination phase.

There are a couple sources out there for vegan and vegetarian methods on the AIP. It’s tough. Your best bet might be to reach out to Mickey and Angie at Autoimmune Wellness and ask, they have great resources.

I have many allergies that limited my options while on the AIP. I found it easiest to focus on what I *could* eat, rather than the limitations. And build meal plans from there. Make a list of everything you *can* eat (even if it’s not your favorite or preferred, it’s only for a month or two, you can do it). Find recipes with some awesome flavors that you love with those ingredients on AIP sites, and go from there.

Keep it simple, don’t go crazy with baking and desserts and specialties. You can buy those online if you really want. You’ll be spending enough time revamping your cooking style.