Calories in home made stock

Vicky_609
Vicky_609 Posts: 17 Member
I want to make my own chicken soup stock. Now I'm not eating the skin I may as well boil it as roast it. How would I work out the calories as I want to make a soup with the stock?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    Maybe 30 or 40 per cup if you've removed the fat. Cooling the stock and refrigerating allows to easily remove the fat cap the next day.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    This seems to be a recurring question. I treat stock as water and don't consider calories.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited May 2021
    It all depends on whether you skim off the chicken fat. If you let it cool and pull off the fat is has 15 calories per cup. The fat has 9 calories per gram so three tablespoons is 345 calories. And, that is not very much for rendering out a whole chicken minus the breasts and thighs.

PS: The chicken stock is a by product of a stewed or braised chicken. Make both.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I make my own stock quite a bit and I always just used the calories for a commercial brand...I figure any difference is pretty negligible. It's mostly water.

Same.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I make my own stock quite a bit and I always just used the calories for a commercial brand...I figure any difference is pretty negligible. It's mostly water.

Same.

Same here too. I use Golden Laden chicken bone broth (Costco) a lot, but when I make my own, I log that commercial brand. No need to make my life more busy and complicated than already is. If in doubt about the calories, just skip the cookies that day and you will break even. Disclaimer: I don't like/eat cookies ;)
  • Vicky_609
    Vicky_609 Posts: 17 Member
    Thank you for the replies.