Gaining weight in a deficit

Options
Ry4ntcb
Ry4ntcb Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
So I weigh and track everything. To the point of obsession. MFP allows me 1500 a day for a 500 deficit. I also work out with weights 5-6 times a week. I rarely eat my exercise calories but if my watch tracks me as burning 600 calories I don’t sweat it if I go over my daily 1500 to say 1700. This is rare but I don’t worry cos even without any exercise at 1700 I’m still in a deficit of my BMR of around 2000 calories. For the last 3 weigh-ins I’ve gained each time a total of 0.7kg. I know this isn’t huge but when trying to lose weight and following the plan it’s very unmotivating. When I google all the online posts claim I need to do something I already am. So I’m here to ask those who have been where I am and who can advise. How can I be gaining weight whilst accurately tracking food and working out? My scales also track (taken with pinch of salt) that my body fat is increasing each weigh it too.

I am currently 110kg 193cm

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    You mention three weigh-ins, but you don't mention the frequency of your weigh-ins. So what kind of period are we talking about? Three days? Three weeks?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Go through this chart, for starters. We need more info.

nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,955 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options

Did you just start this? 6'3" and 242 pounds (I converted for the U.S. crowd) and eating 1500?

You're going to need to eat a lot more.

BMR is not the number from which to create a deficit, TDEE is.

Here's the info from MFP on how they calculate your daily goals. Use the tool as it's designed, as instructed:

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    If your watch is using heartrate to estimate calories during a weights workout there's a very high chance the estimate is badly inflated. That can account for some of the delta between your results and your expectations.

Making your diary public and giving a timeline would help enormously. If you have only been doing this for a week you don't have enough data to come to any conclusion.

Don't put too much faith in your scales either, they can't actually measure fat. They are measuring electrical resistance (maybe just in your legs?) and making a lot of assumptions. If your training routine is a new thing water retention from soreness/inflammation is a strong possibility - which messes horribly with both seeing a weight trend and also the numbers BIA scales guess for your fat percentage.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that not only how much I eat but what I eat can cause the scale to fluctuate wildly. I can hold a lot more water weight and food waste if I eat more if certain foods. Also, are you taking any medications? Certain meds,like allergy meds and stuff like Aleve can cause constipation, thereby possibly impacting the number on the scale.