Macro percentages

Whats everyones take on manipulating macro percentages do to goals, and what percentages do you usually use for each goal, fat loss, bulk, lean gaining phases, lets hear everyones take on this

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    I have pretty good results with the following:
    Protein - 1g/lb body weight
    Fat - 0.3-0.5 g/lb body weight
    Carbs - remainder of calories dictated by what phase I'm in, assuming 4 cal/g.

Percentage-wise that breaks down to about 40/30/40 to maintain, dial down carbs to cut, dial up to bulk. I keep a pretty narrow weight range of about 10 lbs so I also tend to cut and mass pretty gradually at +/- 250 cal/day, maybe up to -500 on a cut.
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    When gaining I go 50:25:25 c:p:f.

When losing I go 40:40:20 c:p:f

In both cases this is over 1g protein per lb.

So far so good, but I’m new to this.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    On a bulk

2.2g per kg protein
    1 g per kg fat
    The rest carbs

On a cut I’ll up the protein to a max of
    3g per kg
    I’ll Cut the down to as low as 0.5g per kg
    The rest carbs

Maintenance
    2.2 g per kg protein
    0.75g per kg fat
    The rest carbs
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Mine are 35/30/35, I can't say I always hit them they are goals. P/F/C

That gets me close to 1g protein per lb of body weight.

I started with 30/30/40 P/F/C, but I am cutting so I had to drop some cals and that also lowered my protein grama. So I stole some from carbs to up the protein %
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Currently 40%p 35%f 25%c
  • bostonpaul22
    bostonpaul22 Posts: 31 Member
    I usually like to keep my fats around 20-25%but thats just what i feel like my body responds better to
  • Jodear2122
    Jodear2122 Posts: 70 Member
    20% protein 5%carbs 75% fat
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    All over the place.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    All over the place.
    guess that means macro distributions aren’t really that important in the grand scheme of things
  • timsethna
    timsethna Posts: 10 Member
    Jodear2122 wrote: »
    20% protein 5%carbs 75% fat

Are you doing Keto or Paleo or something like that? How is it working?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2021
    wiigelec wrote: »
    All over the place.
    guess that means macro distributions aren’t really that important in the grand scheme of things

Just lower on the rung of majors in general.

OP, personally I don't sweat it for the most part. My caloric intake is high enough along with my diet that my macros fall easily into place.

I don't use % as a guideline because that just skews the goal when we add exercise calories into the mix.

For fat loss I will bump protien from a bulk. How much protien is needed depends on how male you are, age, quality of protien, etc...

A reasonable starting point for most goais in general is...
    P 1g=#bw
    F .4g=#lean mass
    C= filler

For mist goals just eat a well balanced diet and enough calories and you'll fall into place.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Percentages don't work with a highly variable calorie intake, anywhere between 2000 - 4500 is quite a common variation for me.
    They also aren't comparable between someone with a low calorie allowance and someone with a high calorie allowance.

I just keep in mind a minimum protein goal in grams, fat looks after itself, carbs make up most of the calorie variation in line with exercise.
  • Sportertje354
    Sportertje354 Posts: 50 Member
    I have food allergies and issues like IBS and lactose intolerance and due to diet changes because of that struggle to get enough slow carbs, so that makes carb targets tricky at times. The easiest to reach for me is protein, healthy fats can be difficult, as well as the balance between them. For example it can be easy to overshoot fats and protein while still being too low on carbs

Besides the help of a dietician I use calculators on calculator.net to calculate percentages, they also have different recommendations from different health organizations, what are minimal values for example for protein, carbs, and fat

I am still dialing in, but I tend to stay around official values for target goals. How good I adhere too that: some days are better than others, and over time I am getting a better idea of foods and combinations