New job is great for fitness but murder on my body!

Options
I became a postal carrier, foot route.
I average 10 miles per day, up to 13.
I love to hike so liked the idea. But while I can hit low 20s in mileage per day on trail, this is a whole new ball game! Pavement feels very different under foot.
After three weeks of 6 days per week my feet are so sore, my right one is swollen a bit, and they throb. I'm going to try new shoes, I've been using Merrill MOAB but have some Oboz on the way. I'd like to pick a light weight trail runner too, but have no experience. They warned me my shoes will last me about 2 months, so suggested I don't spend a mess of money on then.

What can I do, besides regular ibuprofen use, to help me adjust?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Podiatrist if you think you need one. Since it sounds like you've identified what's going on, that hiking on trail provides some amount of cushioning vs on hard concrete, I would try addressing that. Go to a running store and buy road running shoes. Not trail running, same reason. Don't buy them until you've walked around the store in several. You won't necessary be able to tell which will feel best at the end of ten miles, but you'll find some more comfortable than others. The people working there will help you narrow the selection based on your gait and need for cushioning.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Why would he buy running instead of walking shoes?
    I meant that generically as a place to get recommendations - they asked my husband what he would be using his for (one his feet on concrete at work). And our local store does a gait analysis to help find the right fit for your foot and considers your intended use during that process.

ETA: OK, never mind, you might not have been replying directly to me... I guess we were posting similar recommendations at the same time :D
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to offer some sympathy! I remember starting a job with constant walking and it took my feet a couple months to really get accustomed to that. But I worked that job for 10 years. Hang in there!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Why would he buy running instead of walking shoes?

He says he can hike 20 miles on a dirt trail but 10 on pavement is hurting him. The difference is that dirt has some give and pavement doesn't. If he's able to comfortably walk more than he needs to with cushioning (provided by the ground) and not without, then he needs a shoe with cushioning. Running shoes have more cushion as a rule because your feet are subject to more force running than walking.
  • wi1234567890
    wi1234567890 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like to wear Dansko or Orthofeet in my job as a nurse. I spend a lot of time on my feet during 12 hour shifts.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I like heavy cushioned running shoes for my 12 hour shift. its worth investing in a few pairs to rotate
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Whatever shoe you buy, also buy some cushioning inserts. They make a world of diference!! I love the idea of rotating two pairs of shoes too.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Compeed patches for blisters or rubs. They’re like witchcraft in a clamshell.

Invest in Balega socks. I never though socks would make such a difference in comfort, but they do!!!!!!!!!

Maybe go to a running store and get fitted? Yes it will be more expensive, but you’ll get a shoe that’s perfectly fit for you. If it’s more expensive, is $.50-$1 a day worth it to you? Maybe don’t buy a Starbucks a couple times a month to offset? You can use the product codes off the box or show tongue to find cheaper sources if the expense is a problem.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Tape your feet with KT tape for extra support. I'm here to report that learning to how to tape
    my feet was a game changer for me.

See @ninerbuff 's recent thread for more tips about painful feet.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10832183/damn-plantar-fasciitis/p1
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    10-13 miles per day might be a huge daily increase unless your hiking 20 miles was done very often or on week-long adventures. If you were more of a weekend warrior it might be due to the repetitive everyday nature of it as well as the pavement v softer surface.
    Look up walking form techniques. I’ve never explored it too much but have heard great things about Chiwalking. My brother practices Chirunning and swears by it. A lot of free info out there on form and specific stretches to relieve specific pains
  • juliemertines655
    juliemertines655 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would go for the Reebok Work Men's Postal Express shoes. From my experience, they are extra comfortable I love the comfort and style. It feels like I’m wearing a pair of sneakers. I recommend these boots for anyone Who will be on their feet at work for a long period of time.

Second on their list:
    https://footwearjoy.com/best-shoes-for-mail-carriers/