Healthy diet to reduce cholesterol

Options
In advance of my cholesterol check tomorrow I was wondering if anyone has any tips, links to websites etc that could help me reduce foods that are not good from a cholesterol point of view and replace them with foods that are good, or even that could help reduce cholesterol.

I have a family history of heart disease and high cholesterol. My mother has been on meds to reduce her cholesterol for years and I don't want to go down that route.

I have my first ever cholesterol check tomorrow but at 5'1 and at least 25lbs over my ideal weight, I know this could be an issue too.

Any nutritional advice welcome as I really want to avoid drugs.

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    For the majority of people the more cholesterol you eat the less your body has to make - therefore your cholesterol will lower.

Also for people that eat a high carb, low fat eating plan they are more prone to have high cholesterol and triglycerides..............

If you go to the link for each of the numbered items below is more education and information about the cholesterol myth........

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm#a

Here are the facts!

Click on the blue arrows if you want references to the scientific literature

1 Cholesterol is not a deadly poison, but a substance vital to the cells of all mammals. There are no such things as good or bad cholesterol, but mental stress, physical activity and change of body weight may influence the level of blood cholesterol. A high cholesterol is not dangerous by itself, but may reflect an unhealthy condition, or it may be totally innocent.

2 A high blood cholesterol is said to promote atherosclerosis and thus also coronary heart disease. But many studies have shown that people whose blood cholesterol is low become just as atherosclerotic as people whose cholesterol is high.

3 Your body produces three to four times more cholesterol than you eat. The production of cholesterol increases when you eat little cholesterol and decreases when you eat much. This explains why the ”prudent” diet cannot lower cholesterol more than on average a few per cent.

4 There is no evidence that too much animal fat and cholesterol in the diet promotes atherosclerosis or heart attacks. For instance, more than twenty studies have shown that people who have had a heart attack haven't eaten more fat of any kind than other people, and degree of atherosclerosis at autopsy is unrelated with the diet.

5 The only effective way to lower cholesterol is with drugs, but neither heart mortality or total mortality have been improved with drugs the effect of which is cholesterol-lowering only. On the contrary, these drugs are dangerous to your health and may shorten your life.

6 The new cholesterol-lowering drugs, the statins, do prevent cardio-vascular disease, but this is due to other mechanisms than cholesterol-lowering. Unfortunately, they also stimulate cancer in rodents, disturb the functions of the muscles, the heart and the brain and pregnant women taking statins may give birth to children with malformations more severe than those seen after thalidomide.

7 Many of these facts have been presented in scientific journals and books for decades but are rarely told to the public by the proponents of the diet-heart idea.

8 The reason why laymen, doctors and most scientists have been misled is because opposing and disagreeing results are systematically ignored or misquoted in the scientific press.

9 The Benefits Of High Cholesterol
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    I actually just finished watching the documentary, "Forks over Knives" about how diet can truly effect heart disease and cancers. It's based on a whole food/plant based diet. There was a lot of research on how effective it was with Cholesterol, Heart disease, T2 Diabetes, and tumor growth. I found it EXTREMELY fascinating. Although I'm not willing, at this point in my life, to give up the occasional t-bone, it did make me think of small changes I can do to add more whole grains, plant proteins and fruits and veggies into my diet.
  • Northantsman
    Options
    Hi Sara

If I read it correctly, I think Grokette's advice is very dangerous and is absolutely 180 degrees about from the facts. As someone who has had high cholestrol, had heart issues, and now has low cholestrol and a healthy heart, I might feel I can safely state that!

As for how to lower cholestrol, I would suggest a low meat, high veg diet. I followed no particular diet other than to reduce my fat intake and let my body burn off the cholestrol in my arteries in the process. Mine dropped from 8.6 to 4.4 by doing this. And I lost a load of weight, too. All without using statins, as well.

Happy to talk further if you want.

Good luck with your test!

Richard
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    This is going to end nastily (sorry about that because you seem to be a nice lady, genuinely concerned about your health). I would check out your local (UK are you?) heart foundation website for information. Unfortunately, high cholesterol is often predominently genetic, so it may be that medication will be required regardless of diet but it is worth also putting the dietary principles into practice. Best of luck to you.
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    You should watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vr-c8GeT34 and read The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf.
  • Northantsman
    Options
    Just want to add that I am claiming nothing other than what worked for me... (other diets are available!!)
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Just want to add that I am claiming nothing other than what worked for me... (other diets are available!!)

Your comment is partially correct but please note not all fat is unhealthy and some even fight against cholestrol such as fish and omega 3 fatty acids which reduce blood pressure and lowers the risk of developing blood clots. Also soluble fiber such as oatmeal reduces low density lipoprotein (LDL, Bad Cholesterol) by reducing the absorption of cholesterol into the bloodstream.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Another thing to add polyunsaturated fatty acids found in nuts keep the blood vessels healthy.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Unless your numbers are over 300 for total cholesterol, the total cholesterol is not a good indicator for coronary heart disease risk, and no... Grokette's advice is not off. Better key indicators would be your hdl/triglyceride ratio, crp, and vldl.

If you lose weight, your numbers will improve. Cutting down your carbophydrates and sugars will lower your triglycerides and crp numbers. Consuming omega 3's will boost your HDL.

Women should never be put on statin drugs!!!!! There are way too many side effects for close to zero benefit.
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options

Well you did say
    Grokette's advice is very dangerous and is absolutely 180 degrees about from the facts.

I agree with Grokette's comment. I lost over 30lbs of fat and it did not lower my LDL. My small LDL count did go down more than half though. My HDL went up about 20 points due to exercise. I decided to go on a really high fat diet high cholesterol diet to raise HDL. I consumed mostly saturated fat, coconut oil, and took niacin (B3). To my surprise, my LDL went down 65 points, my triglycerides went down 26 points, and my HDL went up 8 points.

I know everybody is different and that one diet may not work for another, so I'll just recommend avoiding processed carbs (bread), artificial sweetner, and high fructose corn syrup.

Statin sucks. It will show the bad cholesterol going down but it is not true. I have personal experience.

Edit:
    I forgot to mention that I too come from a family history of high cholesterol and heart disease.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Another thing to add polyunsaturated fatty acids found in nuts keep the blood vessels healthy.

PUFAS are not heart healthy and cause inflammation. Saturated and monounsaturated fats are the fats that we should be eating and staying far, far away from polyunsaturated fats.

Vegetables oils (pufas) are a processed food and should be removed from our eating plans, especially if heart health is in question.
  • PBJunkie
    Options

PUFAS are not heart healthy and cause inflammation. Saturated and monounsaturated fats are the fats that we should be eating and staying far, far away from polyunsaturated fats.

Vegetables oils (pufas) are a processed food and should be removed from our eating plans, especially if heart health is in question.

Thanks I learned something
  • Grokette
    Options
    Hi Sara

If I read it correctly, I think Grokette's advice is very dangerous and is absolutely 180 degrees about from the facts. As someone who has had high cholestrol, had heart issues, and now has low cholestrol and a healthy heart, I might feel I can safely state that!

As for how to lower cholestrol, I would suggest a low meat, high veg diet. I followed no particular diet other than to reduce my fat intake and let my body burn off the cholestrol in my arteries in the process. Mine dropped from 8.6 to 4.4 by doing this. And I lost a load of weight, too. All without using statins, as well.

Happy to talk further if you want.

Good luck with your test!

Richard

My suggestions are on point and I can supply much much more clinical and scientific information than the one I posted by a very well respected Dr.. Did you even bother to go to the link and read the information that is posted by a DOCTOR???? Check out the Framingtham Heart Study by the Doctor posted in my signature.

My step sister, my dad and my step-mother all are off of statins after going on the Paleo / Primal plan with me and with the blessing and approval of my dad's cardiologist.

My dad HAD massive scarring from a heart attack a little more than a year ago and amazingly with a high fat, moderate protein and low carb plan the scarring has healed and there is no indication that my dad ever even had a heart attack. I have been asked by both my own Naturopathic Dr and my Dad's cardiologist to work as a Nutrition Educator for those people that truly want to heal their bodies and get back to good health free of medications and unnecessary procedures.

My love for my current career is keeping me from making the switch, so for now I am coaching and educating my family and close friends and a few clients on the internet.

I didn't go and become a Naturopathic and Holistic Nutrition Educator to tell people wrong. I did this to help my family that has suffered the effects of the typical American S.A.D. diet.

I take GREAT PRIDE in doing extensive research, reading and educating myself as to not tell anyone the wrong information.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Exercise will lower LDL and triglycerides and raise HDL and is really the best thing you can do, but since you asked about food:

There is study of what is being called a "portfolio" of foods that when eaten everyday (all of them) have been shown to reduce LDL values as much as statin drugs. The foods are soy, almonds, plant sterols, and sticky (soluble) fiber found in foods like oats, barley, psyllium, fruit and beans.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20110823/portfolio-diet-beats-low-fat-diet-at-lowering-cholesterol

Monounsaturated and Omega-3 fats have been shown to raise HDL values.
  • Grokette
    Options

Thanks I learned something

The thing with PUFA's that make them unhealthy is the undesirable Omega 3:6 ratio is backwards..........For optimum health, our Omega 3:6 ratio should be a ratio of 2:1. Most people that consume a lot of peanut oil, Canola oil, Flax oil, Corn oil or other vegetable oils is about 3:6 - very backwards............

And the other thing with PUFA's is that they are almost immediately rancid, so you are essentially purchasing rancid oils and then taking them home and heating them to high temps which makes them more rancid and in your body starts to oxidize and cause inflammation.

The oils we should be eating in great quantities is Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Olive Oil, Walnut Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, Fish Oils and Avocado Oil.............