Fit to fat and back tv show

Options
Noreenmarie1234
Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
edited May 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Anyone ever hear of/watch this show?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMiHC9cSfHc

I came across it this past week on youtube and watched a few episodes. I was shocked they could find so many personal trainers to do this and how easily they gained weight!

I find it AMAZING how gaining weight really affects the trainers fitness level and how they feel. Pretty interesting to see them gain weight, but I feel like it is terrible thing to do. One of the episodes in the process of gaining, the woman developed severe hypertension, another guy had heart issues, etc. I know it is just for entertainment purposes, but you could not pay me enough to gain 40lbs and then lose it!

It was so hard to watch the trainers gain weight and honestly made me feel sick. I don't think this is healthy at all! Just wondering if anyone on here has ever seen it and what their thoughts were.

Replies

• yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I totally agree with you and I've watched it before.

Real easy for me to gain weight and drag out hard to lose it. I've lost 35 lbs so far and its been 9 months and still have 42 lbs to go. Couldn't pay me to put any of this weight back on either, these pounds are the main reason I developed type 2 diabetes.

No thanks to the tv show way, there is a better way to encourage their clients.

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I always found it interesting when I hear of actors having to gain weight to play a role. Not building muscle/bulking up, but actually putting on fat for a part, like Renee Zellweger for Bridget Jones Diary. She said she went on a 4,000 calorie a day diet to go from a size 4 to size 14 for the role.

I know people like that are very well paid, but still, it feels icky. This TV show sounds worse, since I assume these trainers are not being paid at the level of Hollywood actors.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I personally thought it was interesting. I'm not sure I could do it myself. But I think it removes all excuses for those trying to lose weight, and the fact that the trainers are willing to do that must IMHO have a greater impact than just saying "do it".

There was a thread back when the shows first came out....

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10319317/did-anyone-watch-the-show-fit-to-fat-to-fit/p1

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I've seen it. I am glad to see that some trainers are willing to gain weight to relate with their obese clients. That has been a gripe of mine for years. An always lean trainer trying to make a 300+ pound person do box jumps, walking lunges... ect. The one issue I have with it is, they most likely have a much easier time losing the weight than their clients. People tend to have an easier time getting off transient weight gain, than those with long term weight gain
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I find it very strange what people will do for entertainment... it doesn't seem very healthy to me :(

@psychod787 I agree, it's not really representative of the experience of a person who is overweight and has been for a long time.

The Personal Trainer has years of experience and training of having a fit and healthy body and also the slow build up of the right mindset to be fit and healthy. Gaining weight and losing it in a short space of time is not the equivalent of someone who has been struggling for their whole life and is also having a mental battle to change their habits.

It feels like by doing this the personal trainer is kind of rubbing it in and saying "SEE, it is possible! If I can do it, you can", when actually they are still on a completely different journey to the lifelong obese person.
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Car crash TV at its finest!

The awful Katie Hopkins also did it a few years ago to 'prove' that it was easy for fat people to lose weight, and anyone who didn't was just lazy/greedy.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen this show, but the descriptions here seem to tell enough.

Even though putting that weight on may give those trainers an idea of what it physically feels like to carry that much extra weight, they likely still have their old muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness level under there, and not all that goes away during a quick weight gain process. Even if some of it does, they still have their previous behavioural models, experiences and mindset intact. All this means they're likely stronger and in a better mindset about their weight gain and loss than someone who has a history with weight struggles.

I think a much better way of proving the point of physical weight to a trainer is weight vests and other extra weights. In the Biggest Loser, they had one of the trainers pack on weight vests, ankle and wrist weights etc. until he was the same weight as the heaviest man on that season, and it was enough to convince the trainer. No need to put his body through the stress of actually gaining that as fat. They also do a "put the weight back on" challenge where the finalists need to carry all the weight they have lost as a reminder.