The Diamond Challenge: Round 5: Wk 4 - Little Diamond's

Options
Hello Little Diamonds,

I apologize for the delay in setting up a forum for your group, but was not sure if Jamaica would be available or not so wanted to give her an opportunity to establish the forum first.

I am not sure if she was able to send you all an email with the link for the Weigh-In Form, but I have edited the form for Shinining Diamonds so that you can submit your information if you would like, please use this link (copy & paste): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGE2STVGS2xiZmVfbzZBdXNWcTBKT1E6MQ

Please make sure you mark YES to show that you are a Little Diamond to help me when viewing your submissions.

If you did not recieve the link for the Town Hall meeting...please visit and respond to the QOTD: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/340511-diamonds-town-hall-meeting-week-4

Here are the QOTD posters for the remainder of the week:

Tuesday 9/13 = Elle
Wednesday 9/14 = Ruby
Thursday 9/15 = Lisa
Friday 9/16 = Barbara

PLEASE be on the lookout for an email with information regarding Round 6 of the Diamond Challenge. However, with Jamaica being evacuated due to flooding, we may have to take more than a 1 week break so be prepared for a bit longer break than usual.

Replies

• shortee75
    Options
    BUMP
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Thanks Angie! I sent you my weigh in.

I hope that Jamaica is doing ok.
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Aprilstar480
    Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,910 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mandyw58
    Mandyw58 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks Angie for setting up the forum and taking care of the weigh-ins. I hope Jamaica's doing alright.
  • barbara1982
    barbara1982 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thanks Angie! You are a real angle, as your name recommands! :-)

Hope Jamaica is doing well!
  • ElleJay221
    ElleJay221 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hello Diamonds and Happy Tuesday! :smile:

QOTD: I tend to get stuck in a rut...A LOT! Eating the same thing each day, exercising the same way, etc. I fall into this trap because it is easy - I wake up each day, have a bowl of oatmeal (don't want to think too hard at 6:00 am), eat basically the same lunch, with the same snacks, and often have similar suppers week after week. Although I try to stagger my kinds of workouts through the week, if I am pressed for time I tend to turn to the same thing, or my favourites, more often. In the last 3 months, I have lost a mere 5 -6 lbs....how do you shake up your routine? What advice do you have to bust through a plateau? How do you keep your motivation up during these times?

Oops - realized that was actually 3 questions at the end....hope that is okay....:ohwell:
  • Rubyjjones
    Options
    bump
  • lablovr108
    Options
    how do you shake up your routine? What advice do you have to bust through a plateau? How do you keep your motivation up during these times?

Regarding food, I tend to buy the same things every week. They are easy, healthy and are working. However, this past weekend, I decided I needed a change. The same salad with grilled chicken five days a week was getting very boring. So I went up and down the aisles of the grocery store looking for new ideas. I will be having chicken quesadillas for dinner this week as a result! I also got some steak to put in my salad in place of chicken as a treat once or twice a week. I switched my bagel thins to the new blueberry ones.

Regarding exercise, I love to walk so a few weeks ago I started c25k to "up" my workouts.

I've been lucky, I haven't really plateaued just yet. But I guess all I can say is that for me, as I read what I just wrote up above, I tend to stay motivated by finding variations of what I know I already like, whether it be food or exercise.
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    how do you shake up your routine? What advice do you have to bust through a plateau? How do you keep your motivation up during these times?

So far I'm finding that consistency has been more important to me than shaking up a routine. I do vary my workouts throughout the week and have found that training for specific events has been helpful in making sure I don't do just the same thing every day. My strength training does vary every week thanks to being able to work with a trainer who likes to mix it up, so our cardio circuits have included other things like boxing, fencing and other things I would never have tried on my own. I guess I can also say I've started taking the dog on my short runs, so she definitely makes it more interesting.

I've not limited food choices (except for banning certain chocolate items from my home), so have not struggled much with variety so far. even when I eat basically the same thing, I'll mix up flavors and will purchase whatever fruit is on sale to keep it fresher.

Been lucky enough not to hit a plateau yet. But to keep motivated, I do put my workout schedule on a calendar that the family can see so they put pressure on my when I'm not wanting to get my butt up out of bed!
  • barbara1982
    Options
    QOTD: how do you shake up your routine? What advice do you have to bust through a plateau? How do you keep your motivation up during these times?

I usually try to cook different foods a lot! I choose a food that I would like to cook, e.g. chicken drumsticks and then I look for a recipe. I also buy seasonal goods and I always look for new ingredients.
  • ShiningDiamonds
    Options
    I have only received 7 weigh-ins and here is the information:

Losses:

WHITE DIAMONDS:
    Christina (lablovr108) down 1 lb
    Barbara (barbara1982) down 1 lb
    Ruby (rubyjjones) down 1 lb

BLACK DIAMONDS:
    Pam (pverbarg) down 0.4 lb

I did receive information from 3 of the RED DIAMONDS; however, 2 had no change and 1 cannot remember what they submitted last week so not sure if there was a loss or not.

CONGRATS to those that lost last week!
  • Mandyw58
    Mandyw58 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    QOTD Tuesday: How do you shake up your routine? What advice do you have to bust through a plateau? How do you keep your motivation up during these times?

I actually find that routine works for me. It keeps me on track, otherwise I tend to make excuses and not work out.

I have no advice on breaking through a plateau. I have hit a plateau so many times in my life and then ended up gaining back weight. The only time I broke through the plateau, I wasn't consciously trying to lose weight. I was just so busy with my activities and having so much fun that I lost weight without even trying. It probably didn't hurt that I didn't have a car then and the bus system in Hawaii was so horrible that I walked everywhere.

As for the motivation, based on the fact that I keep regaining weight after hitting that plateau, it's pretty obvious I haven't figured this out yet. My motivation right now is knowing that I've lost the weight before, so if I just keep going, eventually I'll get back there again.
  • stepbystep6
    stepbystep6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    QOTD Tuesday: How do you shake up your routine? What advice do you have to bust through a plateau? How do you keep your motivation up during these times?

I'm still struggling to GET consistent - so I'm not shaking things up, rather trying to re-establish routines. I love the same breakfast every morning - I think that's ok. Plateau - only from the posts here, it seems like you do have to make a change in fitness or nutrition. For instance, - increase the weights that you are using (the book New Rules of weight lifting for women - is really really an interesting book - it may help you change your fitness focus and allow you to start losing again), and often people say INCREASE your daily calorie goal - sounds counter intuitive, but countless people here have had sucess doing that. To keep my motivation, I try to look at my kids and remember that I want to be strong, healthy, around for all of their milestones in life and be an example of what to do!
  • Aprilstar480
    Options

Losses:

WHITE DIAMONDS:

BLACK DIAMONDS:

I did receive information from 3 of the RED DIAMONDS; however, 2 had no change and 1 cannot remember what they submitted last week so not sure if there was a loss or not.

Sorry, I weighed in using our link in our blog. I'm a Black Diamond and I maintained.
  • Aprilstar480
    Options
    I need to get back into a routine again. With all the kids in school at different times its been hard to fit in my workouts as I use to. I know I can make it work, I just need to slow down and figure it out. I like the idea of writing it on the calendar between my husband, my daughter, and myself that would definately help keep me accountable!
  • barbara1982
    Options

Losses:

WHITE DIAMONDS:

BLACK DIAMONDS:

Great results for the white diamonds! At least for those who submitted!

Thanks Angie for posting this for us!
  • shortee75
    Options
    Everyone,

Ruby posted her QOTD on the Town Hall Forum in error, here is her question & her response for you:

QOTD Wednesday the 14th

What is the craziest thing you ever did to lose weight?

My response:
    Back in the 90's there was this tea that my then boss was selling that made you go to the "bathroom" all the time which in turn helped you lose weight...OMG, it was aweful!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day today!
  • lablovr108
    Options
    QOTD Wednesday the 14th

What is the craziest thing you ever did to lose weight?

I don't think I've ever done anything crazy to lose weight. This is only the second time I've ever tried to lose weight. The first time was back in 2002 when I bought the Weight Watchers books from ebay and followed that program, minus the meetings. I was pretty successful at the time but got bored with it and eventually gained the weight back, plus some.