Weight Loss Rut

Options
This one is purely due to motivation. I'm around 195-200, trying to get out of the 190's right now. But every time I get close to getting out I say things like "Well I deserve a reward" and "Well I shouldn't restrict so much" andthen I spiral and overreat a lot. I want to be 150 by December, and this isn't helping! Can soembody give me some motivation tips? Thanks :smiley:

Replies

• Lhenderson923
    Lhenderson923 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! Every time I get to about 158, I lose motivation. For this reason, I haven’t made it to the “healthy” category of the BMI (154 for my height) in my adult life. I’m 158 again, but this time I will get there! You may not like my first piece of advice, but it has helped me in the past majorly. If you feel like you’re loosing motivation or that your deficit is too high, then go on a diet break where you eat at maintenance for a week or two (or how ever long you need to). Obviously in theory you won’t lose weight so it seems counterintuitive, but it gives you a chance to catch your breath, practice maintaining, and you won’t lose all motivation and start overeating again due to burnout. Then you return to your deficit when ready again. It’s much better to maintain than to move backwards! If that’s not for you, then maybe try to change up your food routine a little. If you’re like me, then you might eat many of the same things every day. Changing that up may help you feel less deprived and might make loosing weight exciting again. Final recommendation, make sure to leave room in your day for a treat or two! Today I ate a kit-kat, which obviously isn’t healthy but I was tired, my baby was very fussy and I just wanted one (I’m working on my emotional eating). I made it fit within my calories and the rest of the day’s food was fairly nutritious so I don’t feel like I’m missing out on something I want or nutrient dense foods. You can have both! Good luck!
  • kelMee2
    kelMee2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Don't restrict yourself too much, I find if I cut out foods or restrict myself too much I crave those foods and binge. I've been eating low calorie crisps and chocolate daily and I honestly don't feel like I'm missing anything and I haven't lost my motivation yet, also remind yourself of your goal and what you're trying to do I have a weight loss planner stuck to the fridge to remind me of how far I've come and stop me from undoing the work by eating too much or the wrong foods. I avoid trigger foods too because the reason I gained the weight is because I would regularly binge on sweets, cake, junk food and because I was an emotional eater I told myself it was making me feel better now I don't buy those foods, I order weight Watchers low calorie treats instead because I worry if I ate cake I would crave it and binge then be back to square one. I also don't reward myself with food for losing weight, I buy makeup, clothes, just things that I see as a treat for myself something that I'll get use out of, I'm trying to keep myself in the mindset that I eat to live instead of live to eat which was very much the case before I made changes.
  • susanlee53
    susanlee53 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with kelMee2. Food is not a reward. Consider it a punishment, because the "treat" will actually make you feel worse, not better. 1. Pick something not food related that you love for your reward, and 2. stick with your food plan.

I sit on plateaus for weeks at a time, then things finally break through if I just stick with the program. The MFP numbers say I should lose a lb per week, but it simply doesn't happen that way for me. I've been tracking carefully and honestly for more than 1 year. It's ok, though. the schedule doesn't matter; this is a lifetime program. I wore that ski outfit in the picture for the first time since 1989, and even better, I have a tennis skirt from 1983 that I am wearing regularly again.
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I totally get it. Unfortunately I have no good advice for you because I'm stuck in the rut too. I have weighed between 203-208 for 6 months! Its like I have a mental block against getting under 200, which is crazy because I believe I do want to! I think for me there are two problems. 1. I have the lost the intense motivation I had before when I felt miserable and couldn't stand how I looked and felt. Now, I do want to lose weight, but I also feel and look much better so its not as all-consuming of a drive that I feel. Also, 2., this will sound strange, but I think I have so much confidence in my ability to lose weight that I'm not actually doing it!! Strange concept i know.. I have learned so much about my own ability to get right back on track after I have a day or two of not tracking and overeating that its like I don't realize how. many. times. I'm doing it! And yes, I do get right back on track but what I'm doing is called MAINTENENCE not LOSING WEIGHT! I'll be great at maintenance when I get there 😆 ! Oh well, I work in the school system and summer is coming so maybe less distractions will help me really focus on these last 25 lbs I want to lose!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Forget the calendar. It’s not a weight loss tool. What’s needed to get to goal is a downward trend and staying power. That requires balance. Trying to do it all on a schedule just adds unhelpful pressure.

Focus on what’s in front of you. And that sounds like 189 lbs. And presumably staying there after you make it. Start trying to string together losing weeks and consider how you are living. You’ve already figured out that deprivation is a plan killer in the long run.

Keep trying. Keep tinkering and adjusting with your plan until you find the right mix. Time can be on your side in this if you let it.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I also agree - don't cut anything out of your diet, NOW. Don't plan to 'reward' yourself occasionally. Just make what you want and eat regularly - whatever it is - fit. I went through about 3 weeks of eating a candy bar EVERY SINGLE DAY. As long as you can fit it into your calories it works out -- without that 'I have to reward myself or give up on loss in order to have that thing'.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Also, 50lbs in 7 months is REALLY pushing it, particularly as you lose. Let the timeline GO. You don't get to stop doing what you're doing even once you're there. You'll only gain 250ish calories back at maintenance. Don't do crap to lose you're not going to be doing forever.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    This one is purely due to motivation. I'm around 195-200, trying to get out of the 190's right now. But every time I get close to getting out I say things like "Well I deserve a reward" and "Well I shouldn't restrict so much" andthen I spiral and overreat a lot. I want to be 150 by December, and this isn't helping! Can soembody give me some motivation tips? Thanks :smiley:

Sounds like every plan that I have ever had that failed. The pressure of a deadline plus a plan that was too restrictive always made me go nutso and eat as much food as I could handle. My brain always rebelled and deserving a treat was just one of the things that would uncork the dam.

Weight loss should be a mixture of some easy days, many normal days, and a few hard days. When we get in our own way we make it almost all hard days which then drains all our discipline and we cannot sustain it.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So I was struggling with this too. I overcame it by planning a reward day where I ate my normal deficit calories but I ate food I wanted modified for celebration. I used bunless hamburger, gluten and dairy free german chocolate cake and baked potato chips in moderation with veggies. My rule is the reward can't be a cheat day. I also renamed cheat days to self sabotage days.