Mental Health

Options
Is anybody else trying to lose weight and get fit to help with thier mental health?
I've suffered from depression for years and only recently started to use exercise as a way of helping my moods.

Replies

• xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've had anxiety and very mild depression - exercise has helped me a lot, it will do you good :)
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Routinely exercising definitely helps me deal with work stress, negativity, etc. So, in a way it all ties together. Exercise = good! :flowerforyou:
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I used to be medicated for my depression, (when I was a teenager) and as an adult my doctor determined that I no longer needed the medication, however I still feel "down sometimes" and exercise definitely helps. I feel so great afterwards :)
    And it gives you something to feel confident about, and that you're achieving something, both things to help you from feeling down.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hey hunny,

I was on meds up til about a month ago but recently decided that I don't need the meds anymore as the lifestyle change is helping so well with it (:
    And I'm feeling better than I EVER did when on the meds!

You can do it!!!
    I believe in you :)
    xo
  • spongebob2509
    spongebob2509 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Still on meds being bi-polar i will probably need them for life but i have found since doing consistant excercise my mood is more stable and if I feel I am dropping I know a good work out will lift me again.
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    exercise really helps my depression, I did not believe the doctor at first, but I am weaning off my anti-depressants and do not feel bad at all as long as I stay active! Now winter is coming the true test for me I am always grumpier with bad weather LOL
  • i have been in the same situation with anxiety and found excercise to help amazingly well
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It's got to be one of the best non-med / psych ways of managing anxiety and depression. I suffer from both, and I find that exercise in particular is the big thing that makes me feel better. When I'm active, I can get through the British winter without taking anti depressants - and this is a big thing for me.

There is a growing literature base in mental health research that supports the significant mental health benefits of exercise and being active. I do hope that, like me, you find it helps.

Best of luck
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Yup. Working out every morning definitely helps with my anxiety.
  • Shelleyld
    Options
    thank you to those who replied. it's great to know that i'm not the only one. i've only been at the diet and exercise for about 8 weeks and i already feel great. good luck to everyone. i hope you all achieve your goals.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    One of my daughters was clinically depressed and one of her treatments was exercise. It works.

Exercise raises endorphins and seratonin naturally.

Be a bit careful about extreme diets, though because they can sometime be lacking the building blocks for seratonin and would then be counterproductive. A bit of research will tell you what you need to keep eating.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I am a little obsessive compulsive and have anger issues-exercise gave me something to focus my energy on. Now, i HAVE to get to _____ number of reps, which feeds my OCD tendencies. And by the time i do, i really don't have the energy to threaten anyone with neck-punching. It also got me away from caffiene/sleeping pill cycles, which i had done for years.

I really feel like there isn't a problem exercise can't solve!
  • Shelleyld
    Options
    there'll be no extrme dieting for me, love food too much

tanks