Losing weight while disabled

Options
Losing weight while disabled is so discouraging. People look at me and think I'm in a wheelchair because I'm fat and lazy. I was fit before getting sick and this disease has worn me down. I am determined to get in better shape to improve my health, ease my joints and have more fun with my kids.
Does anyone here have Dysautonomia or gastroparesis? How has this affected your weight loss journey?

I attached an image of myself and my service dog Babsi. If you are interested in service dogs and learning about them were are on all social media platforms @babsiforthepotsie

Replies

• g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 146 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hi there. I have Myasthenia gravis -among other things- and have very limited mobility (due to the limited energy and the limited time I can expend it). Both dysautomia and gastroparesis are part of MG. I am at stage IV and it is unremmitant for the past year now. I gained weight after children (due to love of food and too much sugar) and was only diagnosed later in life. There is much discrimination against the disabled, the overweight, and the aged, regardless of how we look. I am average size for adult woman in the States-and getting into size 12 now. Limited mobility has not hindered my weight loss, nor has hypothyroidism.

The difference has been my mindset and choosing whole foods rather than processed and refined. Sodas were my major downfall. Deciding to go slow and make this a permanent lifestyle change is making it easier. I have lost 20+ pounds over the past year-most of it in 2021. I am getting a little anxious to see some faster movement in the scale, but know that 'low and slow' has more chance of keeping it off and keeping me from getting discouraged.

Congratulations for deciding to work on your health! You have taken a good first step in joining MFP. Tracking has been a huge help to me and this community is filled with very knowledgeable and experienced folk:-)