Gained 30 Lbs

Options
I was a badass a few years ago and let myself go. I'm completely void of motivation. It's not that I'm lazy. I can do the work, I just don't. I think I'm depressed. Any tips?

Replies

• gceinca
    gceinca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Please see your doctor as soon as possible! The sooner you seek evaluation and treatment if you are suffering from depression, the sooner you can get on track to reach your goals.
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Right. I agree. Just don't want to be told I need medication 😒
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    anti depressents made such a difference for me!!
  • lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have been there time and time again, I knew what I needed to do and knew I’d feel better if I did it but I just didn’t.

Not sure what finally clicked in my head but just made the decision to go all in and get going. I decided the life I was living I did not want anymore. I wanted to be healthy and look and feel great and to be an active person not a sedentary one.

Maybe just start by going for walks, walking does a lot of good for the mind as well as the body and that might get you going on the diet portion once you’re up and moving more.
  • dontforgetthemilk
    dontforgetthemilk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im in a similar spot, I know what needs to be done but lack the motivation. Depressions hard, you can see a Dr and ask for alternatives to medicine if you don't like taking meds, depending on your case they may be the most helpful, you never know!

When I have no motivation I basically force myself to work out, even if its just 10 mins of yoga or something. Try to put yourself in that position and just take one step, sometimes that's enough to keep going.

I'm not gonna wish you luck, cause you got this in the bag 💕💕💕
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Have you ruled out SAD vs depression? Typically you are asked to try vitamin D supplements before trying antidepressants depending on where you live and how often you're in the sun.
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks everyone for the comments!! I'll be making an appointment to discuss my options. I don't think I have SAD as I live in So Cal but not sure if that makes a difference or not.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    How sad are you? I feel depression at times too, but I certainly don't think that my lack of desire to workout is a reason to medicate (with something that has a side effect of making me more depressed).

When I get stuck in sadness, I seek out counsellors, I seek answers with my naturopath, I try to balance my hormones and get enough nutrients through healthy, whole, unprocessed foods.

I identify with being sad about not being my former badassy self of 2014 when I was really motivated to get ripped with my trainer.

What was your WHY back then? What's your why now? Motivation is a lie. I love the book Atomic Habits by James Clear. It's all about doing the daily things we need to do consistently to get to where we want to be.

I heard recently that in order to take action we need 50% desire and 50% willingness to learn/listen. Without the 2, it doesn't really matter how motivated you are, cause motivation is fleeting.

I hope something in here might help you, or spark a thought. And of course, listen to your intuition.
  • AZrising
    AZrising Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I’ve been in some extremely similar situations and am now getting serious about starting over and starting fresh. You got this! Don’t let the past dictate the future.