is this normal? or should I get a new scale

Options
If I weigh myself at night before going to bed I can be 2 lbs lighter than in the morning? Can weight fluctuate THAT much over night?

Replies

• CarolMorris66
    Options
    Mine does. Exactly 2lb every night... unless I have been very bad and eaten something very bad quite late at night!!
  • megmariew1
    Options
    If I weigh myself at night and then the next morning it can be a difference of about 3lbs. Usually I weigh more at night.
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    oh DEFINITELY!!! you weigh less in the morning naturally. at least 2 lbs less, id say. think about it, you have everything you ate and drank in your body at night, and by morning its more or less burned off because your body has had 8-10 hours to digest and metabolize.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    It sure can. Never weight yourself at the end of the day. Always first thing in the morning after you go the bathroom.
  • TayaHornsby
    TayaHornsby Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can normally be out by more than that, and i change day to day. I think its normal, it certainly is for me. If you find you are going up and down too much see your doctor.
  • bwesser
    Options
    I would try not getting on the scale more than a couple times a week. And of course, at the same time of the day.
    See if your scale makes sense then, if you are constantly on the scale, it will show major fluctuations.

But, I would always be happy with a -2 lbs. :)
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    yes, but I normally weigh more at night and less in the AM.
  • krystalrose07
    Options
    I find I am usually lighter in the mornings but I always wondered if it was because I ate during the day. Looking forward to learning what others think.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    If I weigh myself at night before going to bed I can be 2 lbs lighter than in the morning? Can weight fluctuate THAT much over night?

that happend to me a few times. i giggled like a little kid when i saw.
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself last thing at night, because I'm obsessed with the scales, and I'm always 2 pounds less in the morning.
  • whitehatguywi
    Options
    Yup. I did an experiment once to prove it. It was a particularity hot day and I decide to weigh myself before a long ride. It was 170 after the ride I had lost 2lbs. Just before bed I had gained back the 2lbs. A lot of it was water weight. The best advice is to weigh yourself in the AM after showering and a bathroom break. I also think you just pick one day a week to do it.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Yes, it's normal to weigh more at night - the foods you ate and liquids are still pretty much with you. In the mornings... well, (hopefuuly anyway) you have had 8 hours of body healing and production - hence hitting the john when we first get up. :flowerforyou:
  • slimmerchick
    slimmerchick Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Surely you mean you are lighter in the morning?

If so then that's perfectly normal, but if as originally written, that's quite bizarre!
  • Dandersonjr32
    Options
    Holy smokes can it fluctuate. The bigger you are, the more it will fluctuate. I can do 5 pounds a day.

Weigh yourself the same day at the same time. It's the ONLY way you can really know your weight loss or gain. Also, use the same scale in the same spot, because that can change it.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm consistently 2 lbs lighter in the morning as well.

Also, I've been weighing myself after my morning workout at the gym, and am generally 2 lbs higher after that (different scale though, and 2 bottles of water in me by then). Our weight definitely fluctuates all day long depending on sodium intake and water....