Protein intake

Options
Hi everyone,
Im after some advice here. I am currently 4 months into my weight loss journey and have almost lost 4 stone so far which im really happy with.

Ive recently been trying to increase my protein intake as i have just introduced exercise into my routine but i have ready many things online suggesting i should be intaking anywhere from 0.75-1g of protein per lb of body weight (269lb in my case) which would mean i am recommended to intake 200g+ of protein a day which is mental considering i am on a 1800-2000 calorie structure right now.

How on earth can i take this much protein in on my current calories without sacrificing other essential nutrients. Ive also seen on multiple sites that your body can only absorb between 25-35g of protein per meal which would mean i have to eat 8 times a day..... Can someone please provide some clarity here or am i getting too hung up in the numbers.

Thanks everyone, keep up the great work with your journeys 🙂

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's .75-1 per pound of lean body mass, not total weight. This may help bring it into a more reasonable range for you.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    It should be per lb of lean mass, not total body weight. What does mfp give you as a protein goal?
  • JamieMiddleton689
    JamieMiddleton689 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That makes a lot more sense now, how can i figure out my lean body mass?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it didn't say "Per pound of lean body mass/weight?" that's what I've always read.

Yeah, 200+g is probably overkill.

Here are the Macros threads to read:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/
  • JamieMiddleton689
    Options
    MFP gave me a recommended amount of about 105g but after doing some research (reading it incorrectly clearly) i upped it to 150. Do you think i should just stick to the 105?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Yes, I think anything between 105-150 is probably good. It's not an engraved-in-stone amount, and you do have some leeway if you're getting exercise.

• JamieMiddleton689
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone, really appreciate it :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    That makes a lot more sense now, how can i figure out my lean body mass?

Have a guess at your body fat percentage. Everything that isn't fat is lean mass.
    Precision isn't required.

" Ive also seen on multiple sites that your body can only absorb between 25-35g of protein per meal which would mean i have to eat 8 times a day....."
    No that's twaddle!
    It's a mistaken crossing over of rates of absorbtion (which are of course an average, not the same for everybody) and doesn't take into account that your digestion slows to allow protein to be processed. Basically if it goes in your mouth there's a very high probability your body is going to use it.
    e.g. using purely made up numbers if you eat 75g at one sitting you might take 3hrs to process and absorb that intake. It's more nuanced than that but unless you are training very seriously total intake is far more important than fussing about dosages and timing.

Examine.com has some very good resources about protein without the mythology that, as you've found, is far too common.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on you, your needs, and learning to recognize you needs.

When I run below about 140 on protein for more than a couple of days, I get nibbly, snackish, and fatigued. That’s a lot more than recommended, but I can tell pretty quick when I’ve fallen below.

One of the joys of MFP has been learning to listen to my body. It still has to shout sometimes, though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,069 Member
    Options
    Arithmetically, if you have a healthy goal weight in mind (or just use the middle of normal-weight BMI for your height, for this purpose), 0.6-0.8g protein per pound of healthy goal weight is going to be pretty close to 0.8-1g per pound of lean mass, for quite a range of people. That's very ballpark-y, but once you do all the arithmetic, the protein gram difference from being a little bit off one way or the other isn't of very meaningful magnitude.

As far as how to actually figure out what to eat to get there, this thread is quite helpful:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also