Lower Body Arc Trainer. Is this the way to do it?

Options
The Arc Trainer at Planet Fitness is an interesting machine. I used to like using the full-body Arc Trainers, but many gyms don't have them around here anymore. The lower body trainer has been a little bit tricky getting used to. I like how it has many different handles.

What I find is that when I use the handles right in front of me, it helps me stay upright but it's not easy to work hard that way. It's kind of an awkward stride. After watching youtube videos, I saw that leaning forward on the forward handles helps you work much harder.

But without finding that out, I would never have known that was the way to do it. I think it makes a big difference in how hard you can work. And the handles closest to you are good for when you're taking a breather.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If this is the swinging legs Arc Trainer (they've been around for years) You can both lean forward and lean back - to emphasis pushing muscles for upper body or pulling muscles when grabbing the moving handles tied to the swinging legs platform.

During that lean you can also usually feel a slight difference to engaging the hip flexors or glutes (or hamstrings if you have poor glute activation).

Core is usually engaged for it, so that's good.

If this is more the stepping version with non-moving handles, it engages legs more and upper body is merely there for support, lean how you will it's not really much engagement except while a new movement and gripping for balance. Leaning to swing arms on this one would likely engage more muscles.
    Much like the difference of walking on treadmill with arms swinging compared to gripping the handrails.

• pjayzfitness
    pjayzfitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Arc Trainer was always my fave at my old gym (still closed) and I saw real results with it in my legs and abs. Plus, it didn't torture my knees like some of the ellipticals.

The advice to lean backwards is spot on. I found myself "saving" my arms for the tougher, slower resistance periods to really make them work harder on the long handles. When my legs were going faster, the long handles were just kind of useless, so I'd switch to the shorties and really speed up. Sounds like you are doing it right! :)
  • FiberousJ
    FiberousJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    If this is the swinging legs Arc Trainer (they've been around for years) You can both lean forward and lean back - to emphasis pushing muscles for upper body or pulling muscles when grabbing the moving handles tied to the swinging legs platform.

During that lean you can also usually feel a slight difference to engaging the hip flexors or glutes (or hamstrings if you have poor glute activation).

If this is more the stepping version with non-moving handles, it engages legs more and upper body is merely there for support, lean how you will it's not really much engagement except while a new movement and gripping for balance. Leaning to swing arms on this one would likely engage more muscles.
    Much like the difference of walking on treadmill with arms swinging compared to gripping the handrails.

Thanks. I didn't know that you should lean backwards. If you lean far back, wouldn't it be hard to hold onto the handles if your arms aren't that long?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    I like this machine. It's much easier to do intervals on than an elliptical because you can change your stride which you can't on an elliptical.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • FiberousJ
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I like this machine. It's much easier to do intervals on than an elliptical because you can change your stride which you can't on an elliptical.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Do you lean backwards or forward on it?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    FiberousJ wrote: »

Thanks. I didn't know that you should lean backwards. If you lean far back, wouldn't it be hard to hold onto the handles if your arms aren't that long?

Well, I didn't say "should".

You "can" lean both directions - depending on what you want to emphasis - if it is the moving handles model.

And when leaning you don't need to attempt to create like a 45 degree angle to floor with back. Just lean back as much as your arms and grip strength allows. May not be much to really feel it in your arms.
    Grip will probably give out first, in which case don't push your luck leaning far back as grip is losing it.
  • FiberousJ
    Options

Well, I didn't say "should".

You "can" lean both directions - depending on what you want to emphasis - if it is the moving handles model.

And when leaning you don't need to attempt to create like a 45 degree angle to floor with back. Just lean back as much as your arms and grip strength allows. May not be much to really feel it in your arms.
    Grip will probably give out first, in which case don't push your luck leaning far back as grip is losing it.

Oh okay. Yea, I'm talking about the lower body ones. They don't have the total body ones here anymore. I find that the total body trainers are good for steady state. Lower body arcs are good for intervals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Do you lean backwards or forward on it?
    Neutral.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png