Why did you stop eating meat?

Options
Not sure if this is in the right topic group but what the hell.

I was just curious to know why all of you vegetarians/vegan/etc decided to give up meat?

I have recently given up meat. It started about a year ago when I noticed that I would be cooking meals for me and my then boyfriend and I would be dishing up my portion without any meat on it because I didn't fancy it. I preferred the veges and sauce. Then I just stopped cooking with meat and now the thought of meat gives me the actual boak!

I haven't eaten meat in a few months now and do not intend to. I am 25 and for some reason when people ask if I am vegetarian, I say no. I never thought I would be... I always loved meat. I feel like a faker!
Anyways, what's your stories?

Replies

• mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have not stopped, but I am "trying" to limit myself to chicken and fish....

Why? Well.... Partially because of the movie "Fork over knife"
  • haileemou
    Options
    Me toooooooooooo

I try to eat the meat, but if i have a bad experience i wont eat it for a long time!
  • knighthood77
    Options
    I wouldn't consider my self a veggie either, but I only eat meat outside of my home. I just don't care for it honestly. I am also starting to feel sympathetic to all the way animals are raised and slaughtered. I believe their sadness and stress will be passed along in the food products that they become.
  • u04kmm5
    u04kmm5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Partially because of the movie "Fork over knife"
    Never heard of it or seen it... I can imagine though. I seen Gordon Ramsay slaughter a pig once on tv and that was almost enough for me to give up meat forever
  • u04kmm5
    Options
    I wouldn't consider my self a veggie either, but I only eat meat outside of my home.

Yeah I was thinking I would be the same. But actualy even when I'm out eating now (which to be fair, isn't often) I still wouldn't order. It just sucks cos most places have a poor vege choice
  • threeringedgirl
    Options
    i stopped in college.. a friend of mine was vegetarian and i thought if he could do it so could i! i was vegetarian for less than a year before i went vegan... i was having issues w eating cheese or drinking milk etc if i wasn't eating the cow as i have always been motivated by moral/ethical reasons.

i did not have much support at all when i started. my parents thought it was a fad and that i couldn't stay healthy. i have now been vegan for almost 10 years and have never been MORE AWARE about what goes into/onto my body!
  • u04kmm5
    Options
    i have now been vegan for almost 10 years and have never been MORE AWARE about what goes into/onto my body!
    I think this the stage I am looking to get to!
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I quit meat about 6 years ago and lasted a few months. Then I got preggo and all I craved was cheeseburgers from Friendly's. Now that I'm done with the kiddos I'm actually only eating beef and pork on the rare occasion. Mostly it is chicken or turkey - because they are better for me and because they don't have the same fillers that other meats have.

My kids don't eat red meat - never have. Not sure why but I don't push them too.

We get turkey dogs and veggie burgers. I have a regular burger once in awhile b/c my hubby still eats red meat. Or I'll make beef stew with half the beef cut into tiny chunks. I don't usually miss it. The thought of what's in hamburgers kind of creeps me out and i have a hard time eating them - bologna and hot dogs too.
  • msaap
    msaap Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't really consider myself vegetarian either. Although I haven't eaten meat in a very long time, I haven't really given up on meat either. I just don't have the desire for it. When I thought about the vegetarian/Vegan lifestyle I went to a local group to talk about it and they were so mean to me. They kept preaching animal rights and hated the fact that I didn't view eating meat as wrong and barbaric. Needless to say I never went back. I feel that it's okay to stop eating meat just because you want to, and it doesn't have to have anything to do with animal rights. I'm a Georgia girl and I grew up eating and loving my meat. When the desire hits me, I may eat meat again, but I refuse let anyone make me feel bad about the choices I make for my body. I know people who stop eating meat for health purposes.
  • Bethany_leigh
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian (still eat fish, but only very sparingly). I guess my story is that I moved to austin, tx into a huge shared living home called the treehouse (14 people lived there at the time). I shared a studio at the top of the house with two girls, one a veggie and one a vegan... so it became easy for me and now I'm glad. The initial reason i wanted to was when I read the book "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, which I recommend to everyone! I guess, technically it's a diet book, but it goes way beyond that... it gives all kinds of statistics about how America is eating itself to death and the main point was that meat causes the most serious diseases that Americans die from... heart disease and cancer.

So now I feel much healthier, I feel great... I lost 20 pounds very easily right after I gave up meat. I recommend vegetarianism to everyone.
  • apsmith51
    apsmith51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I quit eating meat mainly because of the impact it has on the environment to produce it. Here is a link to some information on this:

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/meat-wastes-natural-resources.aspx

I know that some people have issues with PETA and I sometimes question their tactics so you can Google the topic and find other resources that will give you the same information.

Plus I have never been a huge meat eater anyway. I have children and grandchildren and I truly want them to have enough food to eat during their lifetimes. The rest of the world is trying to emulate the way we Americans eat and that will strain the earth in many ways. I can foresee wars being fought for food in the future and want to do what I can, as small as it is, to keep that from happening.

Also, watching Food, Inc., reading Fast Food Nation and Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating sealed the deal.

Just my 2 cents.....
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I sat behind a girl in 10th grade Chemistry class, she was a vegetarian, and I wanted to impress her. That was in 1993, and I don't even remember her name.

After that it kind of made sense for me. I couldn't think of myself slaughtering animals, so what right do I have to do it. I think everyone who wants to eat chicken should have to grab a hatchet once a year and chop of a head. Pig, lamb, awl though the skull.
    I also feel a lot better and healthier knowing that I won't get all those cow chemicals in me, mad cow, etc.

I do eat fish now (after 2005), I got a fishing license and tried to go catch one. I just suck at it.

We are too far removed from our food.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I have always had a soft spot for animals and just couldn't turn my head anymore, I figured if i couldn't go out and hunt and kill it myself because I couldn't stomach the thought then I shouldn't be eating it. I think a lot more people would be veggies if they had to go out and kill there own food.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I felt guilty eating animals, plain and simple.

I'd been trying to go veg for a few months, but was struggling giving up chicken and was about to just forget the whole thing. Then I was in a hotel suite with a friend and our kids. She was in another room watching the news and the story about the ASPCA slaughterhouse footage came on. I didn't see it, but she kindly described what she saw in horrific detail and that was it for me. I can't even think about eating meat again without my stomach turning at the idea.

She, of course, still eats it. lol
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about 30 years. I stopped eating meat because animals are my friends and I don't eat my friends! I feel especially repulsed by some of the contemporary 'farming' practices concerning animals. Also because I learnt that I could live a healthy life without eating my friends.
  • fieldfare
    Options
    A £2 vegetarian recipe book bought on impulse about nine years ago stopped me eating meat. After looking through it before the week's food shopping trip I decided to see if I could go the week without meat, not too difficult as wasn't eating much meat by then anyway, only a small amount of white meat, fish and bacon.

Literally never ate meat or meat products again from that point on ... I bought the ingredients for some of those recipes and they turned out so tasty yet simple enough for me to make that I didn't want to go back to eating as before. Also, about three weeks into eating these new veggie meals noticed I had so much more energy, my skin was clearer and I felt so much fitter in general; could only be due to the huge increase in my intake of fruit and veg etc. as nothing else had changed.

Always been aware of the ethical arguments - the factory farming and environmental issues surrounding meat and dairy production - and these became more important to me as I found out more, to the point where I've now given up dairy products too. Loving my new diet and how much healthier it's made me.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    My dad made a really twisted joke when I was 10 about our hamburgers. I proclaimed that I would never eat meat again. 17 years later, it still holds true!
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I am a semi-vegetarian. I do not eat red meat or pork. I enjoy chicken, turkey and all seafood. I can remember as a child having steaks and burgers and just getting the worst stomach aches after. I think it is more of a digestion issue. I haven't touched it since and don't miss it. I love animals so its not a moral/ethical issue.
  • kcmg0730
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian, but I (and my family) are selective omnivores; not only do I want to know what I'm putting in my mouth, I want to know where it came from! So, we buy our meat from a local place and they can inform us exactly which farm our meat is coming from, which is good, since most of the meat they get in is free range or at least higher welfare than we'd get in the grocery store. Also, I live in the UK, and a lot of farming practices that are legal in the US and Europe are not legal here, so I feel like when I buy free range meat in this country, I don't have to worry about intensively farmed, pumped full of hormones food!

I did give up dairy gradually over the last year or so, and I feel like that balances my decision to keep eating meat (I try to eat only one meal with meat per day), since dairy is also pretty environmentally/ethically questionable, and just not very good for us (or necessary).
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I no longer wanted to eat animals, simple as that.