New to exercise

Options
Hi everyone, I’m wanting to lose 12 pounds by the first week of October. I’ve never exercised before and am sedentary. What’s the best plan? The steps or a full body workout? What worked best for you?

Replies

• anna_lowe
    anna_lowe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i started off super slowly, but had much much more to lose than you do. i started with simply walking. as i advanced in speed/distance, i started doing a full body lifting program with weights 3 times a week, and cardio twice a week. but walking every day, i think i was hitting about 12k steps at first.

there's a thread somewhere about 'which is the best workout program for you'...or it might be lifting...i can't remember :neutral:

it's so individualized it's hard to say what the best plan is. that's how i began my journey...almost 3 years ago :smile:
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Start slowly. I find that much is just learning and experimenting to find what you like. It may take some time, but that ok because health is a journey! You can do it!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Best" depends on your goals and capabilities.
    My best plans have been massively different over the course of 45+ years of training depending on what sports I've been doing at the time.

Being sedentary is something you can work on by building more general activity into your everyday routines.
    If you truly have never exercised then I would suggest trying everything to discover what you enjoy the most, but start gently and build up the intensity and duration progressively.

Do be aware that the primary driver for weight loss is your diet.
  • joryrheanne
    joryrheanne Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I find walking and gardening to be what works for me and I was seditary for 2 years.