running advice

Options
I've been attempting to fit jogging into my exercise regimen.... I can't seem to get past 20 min! I usually go between 4.5 - 5 mph. How do I break this running "plateau" I really want to be able to adopt this form of exercise, and reap its benefits. I do this walk/run at least 4 - 5 times a week.

Thank you!!!!

Replies

• mrsmac69
    Options
    You might want to slow down your pace if you want to run for a longer amount of time/distance. Most runners do a long slow run at least once a week.

Check out Hal Higdon's training plans. They add time/distance gradually.
  • cmstuckart
    cmstuckart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Run with a friend. The time flys by!
  • laz22girl
    Options
    Are your outside or inside?

What is keeping you from going beyond 20 mins? Physical pain or mental pain?

Are you doing any progressive plan like c25k or just winging it?

--
    I've been running for about 4-5 yrs and it's still a mental struggle. I just started running outside after running on the TM all summer and I am having a lot of MENTAL pain, not physical pain while i rebuild my outside endurance.

Running is 90% mental, IMO. Maybe when you start nearing your threshold of 20 mins, you can reduce your speed a notch or two and aim for 22 mins, then 25 mins, etc.
  • kathiehughes
    kathiehughes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Try pushing yourself just 1 more extra minute each time you run, you can do anything for 1 minute. Then in no time you will be running for 25 mins and then 30 and so on.
  • aunt_hbomb
    Options
    I have never been a runner until I started C25K. I had to restart it 3 times this summer, but I finally made it to week 4. Loving it.
  • drdenise
    drdenise Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I assume you are doing this on a treadmill. I started out unable to run at 5 mph more than 5 minutes, and before May had never run more than 2 miles in my life (not run at all in 15 years). I now can run 4.5 miles at 6.5 mph (I vary the speed while running, up to 7 or 7.5mph) and just completed a sprint triathlon. I think the best way is intervals. Do your 5 minute warm up, then start off at 4.5 mph for a couple minutes, then do 5.5 mph for as long as you can, then back to 4 or 4.5 (resting phase), then back up to 5.5 or 6 for 1 to 2 minutes, then back down. By pushing yourself, your endurance will improve. Good luck!
  • frogleg88
    Options
    Try adding what are called fartleks (funny word, good results) to your workout. You will want to increase the speed of your run on occasion. Some days, you may just run at a consistent pace. Other days, add sprints and periods of rest to your workouts. When I hit a plateau, I like to both hit the weights with circuit training, and I add fartleks to my runs. I will see a spot in the distance, like a sign post, and sprint to it. Then I will either jog or walk to recover for 30, and then back to my normal pace. This trains your body differently, and it works!

Studies have shown that you can get just as an effective workout from doing 8 sets of sprints (run 1 minute, rest 30, run 1 minute, etc) as you can from trudging for miles! As your body gets in better shape, you'll be able to shorten the rest period between sprints. 20 minutes will feel like nothing in no time!

Good luck! And if you can't jog for 20 minutes, jog for as long as you can and walk the rest. The next time, jog/walk for 22 minutes, then the next week 25 minutes. You'll also see results!
  • ncgingerich
    ncgingerich Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Slow down... as you get more aerobically conditioned as a runner you will naturally increase your pace without even realizing it. You should be able to easily complete short sentences as you run... if not or if it is difficult this means you are trying to go too fast. It also helps immensely to have a partner to chat with and motivate you along the way. Good luck!
  • Jess22542
    Options
    Try doing intervals a few times a week. Do a warm up job. Then, walk for 1 minute and sprint for 30-60 seconds. Repeat as many times as you can. By running at a faster pace for short times, you'll build up your ability to run faster for longer. Also, strength training will help a lot. It will help build those leg muscles, so you can push yourself harder. Make sure you are doing a strong legs work out at least once a week. It should include lunges of different varieties, squats, etc.
  • lorjill
    lorjill Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your helpful advice! I love the quick response of all you dedicated MFP'ers.
  • lorjill
    Options

--
    I've been running for about 4-5 yrs and it's still a mental struggle. I just started running outside after running on the TM all summer and I am having a lot of MENTAL pain, not physical pain while i rebuild my outside endurance.

Running is 90% mental, IMO. Maybe when you start nearing your threshold of 20 mins, you can reduce your speed a notch or two and aim for 22 mins, then 25 mins, etc.
  • lorjill
    Options

--

I'm running outside, My legs just kinda give out.. I can still walk and breathe normal, so I don't think I'm pushing myself to hard. I'm just kinda winging it. I've actually built up to 20 min...just can't get past it.