First day! Looking for MOTIVATION

Options
iiTSNOW
iiTSNOW Posts: 1 Member
**A little bit long i’m sorry!! :)**

So…I’m not even sure where i start.
My siblings have always had more slender body types (they have a different father than me, maybe that’s why lol) so growing up my weight has always been something i’ve struggled with. I don’t recall having poor eating habits as a child or even into my teenage years. I was always just “chubby” i guess.
As i’ve grown into my mid-late 20’s i’ve noticed i have a problem eating. It wasn’t up until February of last year (2020) that I was able to admit that to myself let alone anyone else. I spoke up about it to my boyfriend, my sister, my best friend & my mother. I spoke up in a way as to say i was seeking some sort of help. I went for a physical, something I hadn’t done in years and I had found that even though i gained about 75 lbs, i wasn’t as unhealthy as i had thought i was! I was ready to take on everything, really turn around my life or lifestyle choices i should say.
Then Covid & quarantine happened and i fell into a crappy pattern. What meals i was planning to eat for the day started consuming me. It was one of the first things i thought of when i woke up. I’m always thinking about what food i’m going to eat/make next.
I gained another 30 lbs over this past year.
I’ve started actually feeling unhealthy..i’ve noticed i’m always out of breath, even when just walking up the stairs to bed. I’ve been so glued to my couch and i’m finding it so hard to be motivated. All of me knows i need to make changes and quickly. I want a long life and there’s no way that’s in the books for me if I don’t clean up my act RIGHT NOW!
Now i’m here. I’m making the first step and i’m just hoping to stay motivated. I want to stick to this more than anything..
I’ve suffered from depression & anxiety since my early teens, i know that’s played a huge role in most of it but i’m tired of it being an excuse!!
I just deleted all the food apps on my phone and Put in my first food login for the day. I’m looking to start a calorie deficit and ease my way into a steady workout routine. My goal is to lose 100lbs within at least a year. If anyone has any tips on staying motivated and keeping on the right path, send them my way please!! I love that there’s a community to talk about these things, to see people struggle with the same things i do. Sometimes the people around you just don’t understand and don’t know how to encourage you in the way you feel you need and that’s OKAY!! I don’t expect people to understand how i feel when sometimes I don’t even understand it myself. So this is really nice.

Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• Jackiefrost1013
    Jackiefrost1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your story on so many levels. I suffer from anxiety, and bipolar depression. I have battled with my weight since after having my children, 28 years. And I finally, because of health reasons and having to help raise my grandson I had to make changes! You can do it. You have made the first step. Make sure you continue to log you food. Every thing! Get a food scale if you don’t have one and weigh your food. It is the most accurate. Yes exercise is important but nutrition is 80% of your weight loss. Just try to be active. Stay motivated and you can do that with like minded people. Find you some friends on MFP. I have an open diary, post daily and try to be very positive and motivational. I will send you a friend request.
  • Manga23
    Manga23 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say but nobody can motivate you because motivation is a temporary thing.....you've to create new habits.......motivation will not keep you on track for long.....something will happen on your way and boom gone is your motivation.....habits and a change of lifestyle is key....search for people you can learn from......but don't wait for people to cheer you just go girl 😘😘
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Motivation might get you up but it's discipline that keeps you going. The key to success is doing the thing even when you don't want to - "the thing" might be weighing/tracking your food, might be going to the gym, might be staying out of the kitchen after X:00, it might just be logging in to the app to maintain your streak.

100lbs in a year is a pretty aggressive rate of loss - about 2lbs per week. I have a similar goal and I'm planning/expecting it to take at least 2 years, which works out to about 1lb per week. That's much more sustainable for most people. But getting there is more important than meeting some arbitrary deadline, so I'm consciously choosing to be OK with losing slowly. I know we all want that extra fat gone, like, yesterday, but suffering is not required for weight loss, so I choose not to suffer. I've basically always been fat; there are photos of me in kindergarten and I'm visibly thicker than the other kids. So I'm learning a new way to be - becoming someone I haven't been before - that's necessarily going to take time and require tweaking along the way to make it sustainable for me indefinitely.