SALT- DOES IT SLOW DOWN THE METABOLISM????

Options
Hi peeps. Someone send to me that putting extra salt on food can slow your metabolic rate, hence weight gain. Just wondered if anyone had any views on this.

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it will slow your metabolic rate, but too much can lead to water retention which makes it look on the scale like you weigh more.
  • jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I only know about the water retention for now. Not heard of the metabolism yet
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No, it just makes you retain water, which adds weight to the scale and may make you feel and look bloated.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Metabolism slowing is poppycock. Your metabolism will only slow after prolonged severe caloric restriction.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Since joining MFP I have learned a lot....mainly for myself personally, I am allowed 2500mg of sodium....anything over 1800mg and my scale goes up!
  • eidalac
    eidalac Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it having such an affect.

I can see it leading to water retention, and it's linked to high blood pressure, but it shouldn't be linked to your metabolic rate by any means I'm aware of.
  • jeskie76
    Options
    thanks guys.I am terrible for adding loads of salt to me food, and i do feel bloated all the time . Think im gonna try not adding any salt to my food for a week and see what happens. many thanks:happy: