Totally frusterated, where do I go from here?!

Options
So, I know how these threads start up debates and I'm not really sure of the response I want. But please keep it positive, I already feel very low.

I started tracking on this website 3 wks ago at 189. I lost to 185 and on this 3 week I am now back up to 188. Whats so upsetting is that this was my best week. I cut out alcohol completely, upped my workouts(5-6 days 60 min), and stuck to healthy calories. I netted around 1300 calories a day, making sure I accounted for even bites of a funnel cake at a festival (later hiked mountain to burn the cal).

I know some will say I need to net 1600 at least (BMR). And I guess this week I'll try that (although in the past eating at my BMR had me gain weight as well). I'm just so over doing everything right only to gain 2 lbs!!! I mean thats alot!

I used a measuring tape and have seen no changes, my clothes feel tight, and I don't know what to try next from here.

Replies

• gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    "I know some will say I need to net 1600 at least (BMR). And I guess this week I'll try that (although in the past eating at my BMR had me gain weight as well"

^^ I think you nailed it. You said that you upped your exercise, so I would try bumping the calories up a bit - 1600 is not extreme and you shouldn't gain on that many if you are exercising. I know that increasing calories when you are not losing sounds scary, but I'm just going by what so many here have tried and found success with.

In the meanwhile, focus on the positive changes you've mad - better diet, exercising - and how much healthier you are becoming. If you stick with that plan, you will see results - hang in there!
  • yoopergirl74
    yoopergirl74 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    With all of your exercise, you also may be gaining muscle but losing inches! I was on a two week plateau and nothing would budge the scale--today I was down 2#! Don't give up!
  • melkorxp
    Options
    Hey there,
    Depending on your type of workout, You may in fact be replacing that fat with muscle as your body adjusts to this new regime. Muscle is heavier than fat so relying on scales is a big no no.

If you are working out 5 -6 days a week for 60 minutes then you must be getting results regardless of the scales.
    Unfortunately I cannot see your nutritional information or exercise plan as you have a closed profile.

Providing you're not cheating yourself by putting something like "Washed clothes and hoovered" - 60 minutes, burned 500 calories , you should be fine.

Remember to restrict your CV to no more than 45 minutes and mix it up with some light weight, high rep weight training.

But stick to it and make sure you are eating the right kind of calories. 1300 is all well and good providing it is with good veg, lean meat and healthy fats found in nuts. 1300 calories of ready meals and cake is NOT the same.

Tony
  • soccerblocker66
    Options
    You also want to give yourself a little time, more than 3 weeks. Right now you have upped your exercise and you are building muscle. That is why the weight gain. Muscle is heavier than fat but also burns more calories than fat. Be patient. The weight didn't go on overnight, it won't (and shouldn't) come off overnight. If you stay the course and continue eating well, and exercising, it will happen.
  • koutroulakis
    Options
    Thanks, I fear eating 1600 everyday and seeing another gain next week, I think i'll cry. I also have been tracking my WW points and sticking to their formula and most people (I use to lose as well) have no problem losing weight using WW.

However in doing research their points has you maintaining around 1200 cal diet.

I appreciate your support.
  • Pagehemphill
    Pagehemphill Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer, but I just wanted to encourage you to not give up! You can do this. The pounds are what we want to shed, but like the person above me stated, focus on the fact that you are making healthier choices for yourself. You can do this! Keep it up! :)
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If it is any consolation, the same happened with me. I went about a fortnight not logging any true loss and then all of a sudden it started. It's still not regular but it's going in the right direction. My theory is that you are shocking your bod a bit and it's rebelling (I am basing this on the fact I think my body has a stubborn personality and not on science though).

For a while nothing shifted and then it did but came back and then one week I logged four pounds down. No rhyme or reason to it other than I think my bod was throwing a tantrum and that it has now given in to my demands.

Keep going! What you mustn't do (which is what I used to do) is see nothing happening and then give up. Give you bod a chance and I bet your 'angel' week this week shows on the scales next week.
    Keep going luvvie.
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    watch your sodium! its an evil culprit
    & dont forget to drink that water! LOTS OF WATER!!
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I go through this constantly. It seems that on the weeks that I am perfect with my diet I gain weight. It really makes no sense. The one thing I have learned from going through this for over a year now is that it takes time. You can't concern yourself with weekly fluctuations. There are a lot of reasons why our body may be up and down 2-3 lbs on any given day. You need to look at the big picture. Stick to your good diet and exercise and you will see results. It may not be the exact results you want from week to week, but trust me that from month to month you will see it. Stick to it and dont let a few pounds get you down. You are moving in the right direction and losing weight takes time.
  • RickinNH
    RickinNH Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Maybe its something in the air this time of year because I had EXACTLY the same thing last week - 185 to 188 despite following the plan.

Don't sweat it!!

These are variations that are within the margin of error of your scale, water retention, etc. If you eat something with a little soy sauce on it, then maybe a handful of salted peanuts, you "gain" water weight temporarily. But water weight will - hold it for the payoff - water weight will pass. (I crack myself up, ladies and gentlemen I'll be at the airport lounge all week.)

Just stroll through the threads and most of the people you admire for their weight loss and other transformations have had the same experience. The value of the site is that you can see you are not alone, and that other people who experienced EXACTLY (I only capitalize the word "EXACTLY") what you are experiencing got past the little bumps in the road and ended up where they wanted to be.

So the answer to your question is: keep going where you were going before.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that weight fluctuates and it's the rare person who will go the whole way to goal without seeing a gain (I know, I know -- easy to say when it's not me! lol).

If you upped your workouts, are you a bit sore? That signals that your muscles are retaining water from the heavier exercise. You might experience this if you're not sore, as well.

Look at your sodium intake and make sure you're drinking enough water.

And relax. It's one week, one gain. Keep exercising and eating right and see what happens.

I won't say it's definitely that you need to eat more (or even less). You have to work that out and see how much you lose each week and what and how much you were eating and you'll figure out what makes your body happy.
  • tristevie
    Options
    You've been doing so well so far by keeping a good balance of calories, exercise and reduced alcohol. Sometimes I find that my weight fluctuates drastically from week to week. It could be purely because your body is taking longer to adjust to the new sort of routine you have in place. But keep going with it! Don't be disheartened :)

Maybe try drinking more water? Sometimes when you're on a reduced diet, and eating more healthily, the body is cleaning itself of all the bad stuff and the water is essential in that process. I've also heard that changes in diet can cause your hormones levels to change, so sometimes you feel more bloated because your body is adjusting.

The important thing is to just be happy with the healthy changes you've made and try sticking with it. Losing weight is definitely a long term commitment, eventually I'm sure you'll begin to see results. I suppose if you're still concerned, maybe you should consult your doctor whether there's any tailored advice you may need with losing weight.

Good luck!!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Hey there,
    Depending on your type of workout, You may in fact be replacing that fat with muscle as your body adjusts to this new regime. Muscle is heavier than fat so relying on scales is a big no no.

If you are working out 5 -6 days a week for 60 minutes then you must be getting results regardless of the scales.

No one (especially a woman) is going to put on 3 pounds of muscle in one week, no matter how hard she's working out.

This is a MYTH.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Thanks, I fear eating 1600 everyday and seeing another gain next week, I think i'll cry. I also have been tracking my WW points and sticking to their formula and most people (I use to lose as well) have no problem losing weight using WW.

However in doing research their points has you maintaining around 1200 cal diet.

I appreciate your support.

The new WW system is a lot different than the old one. I still follow the last plan (Momentum). I don't think I'd be as successful on Points Plus as I was on Momentum, if for no other reason than the free fruit! Those calories add up. But I see you're watching calories and points (me, too), so that shouldn't be your issue.
  • ffrowning
    ffrowning Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did almost the same thing and wen't up to 196.4 and I;m only 5'2" I am and was working out 5 days a week, plus keeping cal in the 1300 to 1400 range so went to dr. and had blood work done found out I'm type two diabetic and have a thyroid problem so now Im on right track with when and what I need to eat Plus on med for thyroid. You might need to find out if there is problem and don't give up for sure you can do it
  • ffrowning
    ffrowning Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are right on Between my Dr. and trainer this is what they say
  • CocoNuttie
    Options
    Hi,

I find that on my heaviest exercise week (run 6 miles 4 times, same diet) I tend to gain weight straight away! Normally I gain 2-3 pounds after a whole week of running....them come panic then cried then stressed....u know the feeling -_-" but then after 4-5 days.. the weight just drop! whoop! all of it and more.....It happened to me 2-3 times now in exactly the same fashion before I spotted the pattern. I've been explained to that the overworked muscles hold on to water in order to heal itself...and i think it's quite true.

Be patient, if you're doing everything right u'll see the result soon!
  • koutroulakis
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragment. It really did help, I feel ready to go to the grocery store now without the fear of caving into buying all the junk, which is what I would have done in the past.

I go to the gym 3 days a week for zumba and step. On the other days I do 30DS and TJ. On saturdays I try to hike for at least an hr.

Food wise I'm not perfect. I can eat a salad and grilled chicken, oatmeal and banana, and then have 2 slices of pizza on saturday. I don't deprive myself but I try to keep it contained to a treat here or there.

I gave up alcohol b/c I thought that was maybe why I hadn't seen any results. Having 3-4 beers a night on the weekend was a waste of cal at the very least.
  • koutroulakis
    Options
    Thanks, thats interesting that you could pick up on that pattern. I may sound obsessed but I keep a excel spread sheet for that very purpose, to try and see whats working and going on with my body. thanks again...I am curious now to see what my body does in the next few days.
  • koutroulakis
    Options
    Thanks, thats interesting that you could pick up on that pattern. I may sound obsessed but I keep a excel spread sheet for that very purpose, to try and see whats working and going on with my body. thanks again...I am curious now to see what my body does in the next few days.