Losing weight for sugery

Options
donfief
donfief Posts: 2 Member
I have prostate cancer. They tried surgery in November of 2020, but it failed. They have to inflate your abdomen to see what's what in there, and then invert you on the table so that your feet are higher than your head. The combination of these two things caused my big belly to press on my lungs. My CO level went up, my O2 level went down, and they aborted the surgery. I woke up thinking I was cured, only to be very disappointed to hear it was aborted.

The surgeon said to lose 30-40 lbs and we would try again.

I really didn't try to lose any weight until January of 2021. With all of the holidays, and the 1-year anniversary of my dad's passing, it seemed just way too hard.

As of today, I am down exactly 30 lbs to 202.4! My new surgery date is 7/7/21. Sounds lucky to me! At the rate I am going, I can lose the last 10 lbs in the 6 weeks I have left. I feel great, and encouraged. The small victories along the way really help.

I am back to working out 3 times a week, and see great progress there as well, such as being able to do more reps on an exercise than I was able to when I started.

I will post my progress until that magic 7/7 day...

Replies

• hgedw1
    hgedw1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good luck with everything Don, keep at it! 46 days to go.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,132 Member
    Options
    That's one heck of a reason to lose weight! Keep up the good work, it sounds like you're doing great.
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hey Heather! Best of luck to you. Maybe think about a bicycle, either stationary or a regular bike. It has a very low impact and great calorie burn for the effort expended. Plus it's fun. You can do this!
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @heatherharris2006 you could also try seated workouts like the ones offered by BodyFit by Amy.

Her beginners and low impact workouts are also really good.

(I did the 10 minute cardio a lot last year when I was getting started with exercise.)

Edit: I was trying to post links to the relvant playlists, but they were bringing up specific videos. To find these, google BodyFit by Amy youtube, choose playlists and look for seated and for beginners. I'll link a couple of specific workouts below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztUKDDZZc28&list=PLMHMyl3oeyh2fkXQX2up-kUgSY7F40vlw&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H9qdpUzu4M&list=PLMHMyl3oeyh2X2Cf3kQ7RWJX2sb3CWZ_-&index=7
  • heatherharris2006
    heatherharris2006 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this information. I will definitely check her out. I really appreciate it.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this information. I will definitely check her out. I really appreciate it.

Good luck!
  • FABRICWOMAN
    FABRICWOMAN Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    donfief, first of all my prayers for your upcoming surgery. I too was given an ultimatum from my orthopedic surgeon to lose 100 lbs. before he would do a double knee replacement on me. That was 7/16/20. I lost the 100 lbs. as of 4/24/21. It was decided that I would no longer need to rush into surgery (I will always have arthritis at this point, but it is not as severe now). It is possible. Keep up the work you have already accomplished.
  • fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I had hernia surgery (umbilical) last year, then gained about 20 pounds very quickly, and the repair failed. I'm trying to lose the 20 (at least) before my surgeon will operate again. I'm down about six pounds now, but lordy, it's hard. You are an inspiration!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!