Low carb ideas please

Hi there, please can you all list whatever low carb foods you can think of?

I am in serious need of some guidance and a list of stuff would really help a lot. I have too much potato, too much pasta, too much dough and I really have to cut back. My support worker and people around me keeps telling me i have too much carbs, so here I am reaching out to the community for some advice.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    First of all, why do people tell you you need to limit carbs? Do you have diabetes or another medical condition? If so then a registered dietician might be the right person to talk to. Is there another reason? How many carbs are you eating at the moment, how much fat and protein?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    What makes you think those people are correct in their opinion?
    Just beware there's a lot of pop culture silliness around carbs and dieting which doesn't actually make sense when held up to scrutiny. If you have a medical issue that makes restricting carbs sensible best to let people know as that's a completely different subject.

Your food diary does show up some issues (incomplete and inaccurate logging plus under-cutting protein goal consistently) but TBH carbs isn't jumping out as being problematic.

BTW - you can vastly simplify your strength training logging (and probably get a better estimate) by just logging the entire duration of your strength training using the "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" entry from the CV part of the exercise diary.
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    There are different kinds of carbs and qualities of carbs for your body. Some are very healthy and useful in reaching certain goals. However, most Americans consume a diet of refined foods that are processed and contain carbs that do not integrate as well into the body. Be aware of what kinds of carbs can fuel you and which kinds contribute to the problem (of weight gain, brain fog, fatigue, hifh blood sugar, etc.). Vegetables, for example, tend to often have plenty of carbs. Fruits, too.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

I am in serious need of some guidance and a list of stuff would really help a lot. I have too much potato, too much pasta, too much dough and I really have to cut back. My support worker and people around me keeps telling me i have too much carbs, so here I am reaching out to the community for some advice.

The first question is why you want to cut back on carbs. If you are getting sufficient protein, healthy fats, fiber, and non starchy veg, and your cals are on point and you aren't hungry, then eat as many carbs as you like.

That said, if you do want to cut back, one way is to limit portion size. I briefly looked at your diary (not enough to have an opinion on your overall cals, but they seemed quite low on a couple of days), and it seems like you often have potatoes and bread at the same meal. Personally, I prefer to have one type of starchy food (or instead some fruit) at a meal and eat that with some protein (which it seems you often do) and a lot of non starchy vegetables. Veg have carbs, but since the cals are less, the total carbs are less too.

There are meal options that are low carb, like salads with protein, meat/fish and vegetables, vegetable omelet, so on (usually you would want to eat foods with fat at the same time so the cals aren't too low), but again you don't need to go low carb at all or worry about carbs if that's not how you enjoy eating.
  • Beccalouise09
    Beccalouise09 Posts: 128 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Just beware there's a lot of pop culture silliness around carbs and dieting which doesn't actually make sense when held up to scrutiny. If you have a medical issue that makes restricting carbs sensible best to let people know as that's a completely different subject.

Your food diary does show up some issues (incomplete and inaccurate logging plus under-cutting protein goal consistently) but TBH carbs isn't jumping out as being problematic.

BTW - you can vastly simplify your strength training logging (and probably get a better estimate) by just logging the entire duration of your strength training using the "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" entry from the CV part of the exercise diary.

mfps does not log the strength training, I've tried adding to that part of the log and nothing happens.
  • Beccalouise09
    Beccalouise09 Posts: 128 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

The first question is why you want to cut back on carbs. If you are getting sufficient protein, healthy fats, fiber, and non starchy veg, and your cals are on point and you aren't hungry, then eat as many carbs as you like.

That said, if you do want to cut back, one way is to limit portion size. I briefly looked at your diary (not enough to have an opinion on your overall cals, but they seemed quite low on a couple of days), and it seems like you often have potatoes and bread at the same meal. Personally, I prefer to have one type of starchy food (or instead some fruit) at a meal and eat that with some protein (which it seems you often do) and a lot of non starchy vegetables. Veg have carbs, but since the cals are less, the total carbs are less too.

There are meal options that are low carb, like salads with protein, meat/fish and vegetables, vegetable omelet, so on (usually you would want to eat foods with fat at the same time so the cals aren't too low), but again you don't need to go low carb at all or worry about carbs if that's not how you enjoy eating.

Thank you, you have helped a lot. I have chicken more than any other meat as I was vegetarian before I was eighteen.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

mfps does not log the strength training, I've tried adding to that part of the log and nothing happens.

Are you logging strength training under the cardio vascular section? You should be getting an estimated calorie burn there.

Look for - Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »

Are you logging strength training under the cardio vascular section? You should be getting an estimated calorie burn there.

Look for - Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)

Yes, it sure isn't obvious, but the Strength Training section in the exercise diary is just for recording notes and will not give you calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    edited May 2021
    I've lost 20 pounds since Jan 2 while eating over 200 grams of carbs most days, and sometimes well over 200 g.

However, *I* would not have been able to do that if most of those carbs came from foods like baked goods, ice cream, and pizza, because while I find those foods yummy, they are not very satiating to me. (Those foods also have a lot of fat, and those calories add up quickly.)

Getting my carbs from fruits, veggies, potatoes, rice, legumes, etc., helps keep me full and thus able to maintain a calorie deficit.

I do eat pasta and bread, but in small quantities, as I do not find foods made from flour especially filling.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Agree with above poster. Complex carbs (like vegetables from the produce section) and plenty of them are fine unless you are diabetic or have another medical condition that causes issues with carbs. Highly processed carbs tend to be calorie dense and not leave people satisfied for long.

On the other hand, if carbs make you feel nasty, or you have blood sugar issues, then lean meats, poultry, fish, eggs, nuts in moderation, and lowfat dairy are very satisfying and stick to the ribs for a long time. Then add a big helping of nonstarchy vegetables like spinach, broccoli, green beans, a big salad. Amazon (and other book sellers, and the internet) is full of low carb cookbooks.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

"logging the entire duration of your strength training using the "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" entry from the CV part of the exercise diary."

The strength part is just a notepad.
    Search the cardiovascular exercise database and you will find the entry I copied for you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,810 Member
    Large salad with lots of different vegetables spiked with egg and tuna. Filling, really filling.