Gluten-free diet?

Options
Someone just told me to try a gluten free diet or cut out most gluten in my diet. she said everyone has told her that they lose so much weight by doing that.

Im wondering if anyone else is on this diet or have any opinions about this.. i really need to lose 50 pounds by the end of this year.. the military is calling my name but my fatass needs to catch up lol

Replies

• kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Usually a gluten free diet is higher in calories and a lot of people gain weight when they are forced to switch to a gluten free diet. It's also not healthy to cut it out if you don't have a compelling medical reason to do so. Do your research, but if you're not sick from gluten, don't do it.
  • patronussky
    Options
    In my experience (I'm gluten free because I have to be, not by choice) it didn't help at all. I actually gained when I first went gluten free. It's much more expensive too. Stay under your calorie limit and stick to low carbs - you'll do fine :)
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    When people lose a lot of weight when they stop eating gluten it is because their body has problems digesting gluten. It is not a diet or a healthier way to eat if your body can handle the gluten.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Usually a gluten free diet is higher in calories and a lot of people gain weight when they are forced to switch to a gluten free diet. It's also not healthy to cut it out if you don't have a compelling medical reason to do so. Do your research, but if you're not sick from gluten, don't do it.

There's a gluten-free thread, do a search, there are quite a few on this (myself included). Some as a personal choice, some due to allergies or intolerances (I fall into the second bucket). Also, googling celiac will bring up a ton of really good sources for researching this lifestyle.

I would disagree with every single point this person has made. I live a gluten free lifestyle, I lost weight from it (I do think it has to do a lot with my body's reaction to gluten, but not entirely). My diet is definitely not higher calorie than many others, because I don't depend on bread, and there is nothing wrong with cutting out gluten as there is a whole world of wonderful gluten free grains out there.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I've heard of a lot of people doing this and my thoughts are that it's really no different than cutting fat or carbs from your diet. When you eliminate something, you always lose weight initially because it's water weight. However, to keep it off, it all basically boils down to calories in and calories out.

I have friends that do Isagenix and cleanses and I really think it's all craziness.

Shannon