Weight Watchers

Options
I was just wondering if anyone is on weight watchers or been on weight watchers? I just wanted to know what people thought of it before I sign myself up for 3 months online. Hopefully if I sign up it will give me that extra bit of motivation I need.

Replies

• ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 15th week of Weight Watchers and I really like it. I've lost 42 pounds using a combo of WW, MFP, and, of course, exercise. I go to a meeting every week and track online. The meetings are a great community of people. The leader is awesome. There are some really inspiring folks there. I think the science behind it is pretty sound. It's all about: eat what you want, but in moderation. Be honest with yourself about what you're eating. Be aware of emotion-driven eating. Be active. Rely on healthy foods, but it's o-kay to have the foods you love. Ice cream? No problem. Cheeseburger? No problem. I haven't deprived myself of a single thing. Now, I will say that the foods they sell at the meeting are pretty yucky as far as preservatives, crappy ingredients, etc. But you don't have to buy those. I can't speak to the online only experience because I haven't done that; but, my experience so far has been great.
  • xjlishey1
    Options
    I was on weight watchers..it works...I stop doing it because I found MFP for free.:laugh:
  • alc720
    Options
    Personally, it did NOT work for me. I found it harder to count because of the point values (I think calorie counts are MUCH easier!)...I have lost 24 lbs. in 40 days on here! Good luck!!!!
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I did it twice, and failed miserably both times. :blushing: I think it was more that I wasn't ready to change than anything. I've got coworkers that it has really worked for. MFP seems to be a better fit for me, but that may just be because I'm ready now and wasn't 6 months ago.
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have never used it myself but I know people who have and it's always the best thing since sliced bread for the first few months. But personally I think it does nothing that yourself and MFP can't do. A massive waste of money in my opinion. Good luck. x
  • JuneGem6471
    JuneGem6471 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I liked WW but it does cost a lot. I did it it online only so its not that much different than this is and this is free. It does work, but it can be a bit more complicated with points vs calories.
  • YoungGma29
    Options
    I have done weight watchers several times in my life. It is a very healthy program, but I just couldn't quite get with it. I didn't like having to carry around books to tell me how many points everything was. It was a whole lot of work. I am finding better success with just using MFP.
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it works. BUT i would say stay here :smile:

I lost 30 pounds in 6 months doing weightwatcher (and no exercise really - that probably would of speeded it up)

Here i have lost 39 pounds in 5 months and generally find this site so much better for friends , support and information.

We can learn from others here not just abide by the points plan which you have to work out! its annoying!

And mainly......its FREE
  • XiaoRuRu
    Options
    WW assigned me 30 points and that was actually more than I eat in a day and I gained weight in the most miserable ways. Furthermore, their online food database is pathetic compared to MFP--especially when it's something you're paying for. You aren't going to get anything terribly different there from here, just a hole in your pocket.
  • I have done weight watchers in the past and it is good to teach you to eat in moderation, portion sizes (you will be amazed what you start to feel full of compared to what you used to eat) and they have great recipes which I still use to this day. They teach you to use different spices to create great tasting food. Planning where you can also save on food bills, and cut out the possibility to binge. Also you will learn what you can have plenty of which will fill you up for longer.
    I continue to use their ideas now whilst using MFP and exercise, and it works. No feeling hungry by just cutting down and staving yourself.
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    Options
    i lost a lot of weight doing that 2 years ago its brill im thinking of joining up again its that good goodluck with it x
  • labrat26
    labrat26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had WW work for me in the past, if meetings were involved..Now that I live in a small town with no meetings, I found that online did not work as well for me, and it still costs a fair amount. MFP has support and encouragement like no other site...just find some friends in the same boat as you, and encourage them, and wow....all the support you could imagine.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I just re-signed up yesterday, because I needed the structure and the support.

WW works really well for me, and for many others. :flowerforyou:

Of course, so does MFP, but for some of us, WW is a slightly better fit.

I lost 76 pounds in about 2 years on WW, then tried to do "my own thing" for a few weeks and gained 9 pounds... then didn't want to go back to WW yet so joined MFP and lost 7 pounds in 9 weeks... and now am back on WW and will be tracking both places for a bit.

I say that if the wonderful free and supportive community of MFP is working for you, there is no need to try WW. But if you think that WW may be a better fit for you, go ahead and give it a try. :heart:

edited to add: I did/do Weight Watchers online only! I hate the meetings...
  • roxiedo
    roxiedo Posts: 154
    Options
    I just recently rejoined and am love the new Points Plus program - I am losing weight much better than I did with MFP. I am a lifetime WWer who regained 10 pounds (due to not following the program for years). I find the PointPlus program to be the healthiest food choice program out there. Best of luck in whatever you choose! :drinker:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I love Weight Watchers, but I did Flex and Momentum.

I haven't done the new program, but I know a lot of people (mostly the less-to-lose crowd) are struggling on it, since it allows more calories than the older programs did.

I had great success with it, but you have to follow more than just the points and focus on the healthy eating part (the Good Health Guidelines) as well.

However, it boils down to a calorie-counting program dressed up. A lot of people really like the support group aspect, though. I know a few who aren't actually following WW, but attend the meetings for the support. You still have to pay for that.
  • Enginette
    Enginette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who did Weight Watchers and basically taught me the system to where I followed it on my own (this was 9 years ago after having my first child). I did lose weight, but I think the most important thing I learned was portion control and how many calories were in the typical foods I ate. That was a big eye opener! I think the main thing is to watch your calories. Whether it be watching calories or points, you still need to be cognizant of portions and what you put into your mouth. If you need the motivation, perhaps WW will help in that regard. However, I see so much motivation and encouragement on MFP, that this may be all you need! Keep in touch and let us know what you decide!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I was on weight watchers..it works...I stop doing it because I found MFP for free.:laugh:

Exactly.

I was on WW for some time, and lost my first big lot of weight on it.
    I found this site, and for two weeks logged in both places. When I felt secure that there wasn't a big difference, I closed my account with WW.

My only real complaint about WW is that the new points system isn't as vegetarian-friendly as the old one.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've done it many times over the years. They've recently changed the program to one that allows all the fruit you need to feel satisfied, without counting them toward your daily intake total. I had issues with the newest program and found my weight loss very inconsistent and painfully slow. I'd lose 1 pound/month but others around me were losing 5-10 pounds their first week and 2-3 pounds/week after. So, WW is a very good program for some but it wasn't good for me. I prefer counting calories, not figuring out points. I don't like having an ineffective, uninspiring leader and that's pretty common for WW. A good, motivating leader is a gem because they're hard to find.

Anyway, whatever you choose to do, good luck!
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've done WW several times and think it's a great program. However, when I started getting discouraged I'd quit going to meetings because I felt like I was wasting money and then I'd stop watching what I was doing and the weight would creep back on. I believe one of the main reasons MFP has worked so well for me is because it's free. I can always log my food and exercise easily and I can vent to my friends or the entire MFP community when things aren't going well. I don't have that guilty feeling of wasting time and money when I go for several weeks without losing anything.
  • bmd1011
    bmd1011 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've lost 42 pounds using a combo of WW, MFP, and, of course, exercise.

What sort of combo do you do? Do you track both Points Plus & Calories on MFP?