For my Dad... Success stories and suggestions for men age 55+

Options
My dad has gained a significant amount of weight since taking early retirement and his general health has been on a steady decline. He isn't doing anything active with his retirement, so his days consist of watching TV, drinking alcohol and eating.
He now has back pain, that I'm assuming is a result of his sedentary life style. I'm very worried about his health and when I've discussed it with him, he tells me that he feels "too old" to get back in shape. I would love to hear some success stories and suggestions that I can relay back to him.
For Father's Day, I would like to get him a gift that helps him get started with a healthier lifestyle, so any suggestions there would be helpful too!
TYIA!!

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My dad is 60 this year. All throughout my childhood he was a rotund guy, possibly close to 300lbs at his heaviest - maybe less, he's also not a tall person, standing about 5'5". 10 years ago he started going for daily walks and eating less*, and he's dropped about 100 lbs and kept it off all this time. It can be done.

(*My dad was also diagnosed with diabetes and high blood pressure at age 49. I don't know if he consulted with a dietitian to get that piece of it under control. He's always been a decent cook, and as far as I know he just started replacing Twinkies with vegetables, basically. But his diabetes and blood pressure are well-controlled through diet and exercise alone, I don't believe he's currently on medication, and I know he's not insulin-dependent at this point.)
  • tluisa311
    tluisa311 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    @goal06082021 Does your dad use any technology, like a fitbit or Apple watch to track the calories he's burning? I'm debating upon buying my dad some kind of tracker but it would have to be very easy to use, since he is not terribly tech savvy.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    @goal06082021 Does your dad use any technology, like a fitbit or Apple watch to track the calories he's burning? I'm debating upon buying my dad some kind of tracker but it would have to be very easy to use, since he is not terribly tech savvy.

No, I don't believe so. He never really tracked anything besides blood sugar and maybe blood pressure - his goal wasn't really "weight loss" as much as it was managing his diagnoses. The fact that he's half the man he used to be now is more of a nice side effect than anything he was purposefully aiming for. I don't think he even changed very much about his diet, aside from the aforementioned veggies-for-Twinkies sub, he just increased his TDEE by purposefully moving more. Once he had formed the habit of going for a daily walk, he got a dog, and now the two of them rack up probably about 15-20 miles a week together. That's a bad reason for your dad to get a dog, but I know there's also evidence to suggest that animal companionship is good for older people, so that might be worth looking into.
  • tluisa311
    Options
    @goal06082021 Lol his wife would never let him get a dog... they have a cat now.
    He has a treadmill now, in his house, but he stopped using it when his hip flexors started bothering him. I know he doesn't stretch at all, so I'm encouraging him to do that before and after he walks on the treadmill.

Thank you so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Me and my SO lost in our 50’s. Me first, 30lbs, and after watching me do it he followed as I hit maintenance. He also upped his activity, A shuffling run, as he puts it, and swimming.

With regards to the running. Why not sign you both up for a 5 or 10km charity race. That is what we did - he runs, I walked (I don’t run). Your dad could do the walking. I started training with a goal to do the walk in 90min, SO trained to do the run in 60min.

Although we didn’t do it together (different catagories) we had fun training on the track close to our house.

SO was a good swimmer so he did that for a while where I did aqua fit. One day he complained about lack of mobility, both his exercise routines were repetitive action forward motion, I invited him to join in the aquafit. He did! He also couldn’t believe what a workout you could get from it depending on fitness level and effort. He continues with it for the mobility aspect. Not sure how your dad would take to that as it is thought to be for doddering old ladies on some circles, it’s not, it’s good rehab for anyone.

Yoga, SO’s workmate talked him into trying that. I went too. SO did it for a year then the class times changed. I found classes that I could schedule in and continue, he didn’t.

At 67 I am forever trying different classes, at 60 SO sticks with his running, swimming, and aquafit.

I lift heavy (for me) weights. So has, unfortunately, no interest at this point, I wish he did.

Some type of weight lifting would be good for your dad as he ages.

Nether of us have ever used a tracker. I’m just not interested in data, SO finds his watch that gives timing splits is enough for him.

Maybe see if you can get your dad interested in something, then get him a nifty thingy to accessorize the activity.

Oh, what keeps me active is my love for travel. I decided it was no fun being old and seeing the world from a bus. If I was travelling I was going to participate and live the world full on.
    (Plan a trip that includes achievable activities)

Hope you can pick a couple of things from all this that may help.

Cheers, h.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Oh, as a PS but that, above, post was too long anyway.

My BiL early retired at 55. His 1st year he was lost and didn’t know what to do with himself.

He ended up taking up cycling country trails. He built up a whole new bunch of friends that met up weekly for coffee. Some of them also worked on a community garden, he got involved with that, more friends. Now, 10 yr on, he doesn’t know how he had time to work.

He, this past year, bought an electric bike for himself and my sister and a small camper so they can take off touring the Scottish (where he lives) countryside and islands doing some lovely, challenging, isolated, trails.

Cheers, h.
  • tluisa311
    Options
    @middlehaitch Thank you SO MUCH for all of your suggestions!!

My dad lives in RI and I live in VA, so unfortunately I can't do things with him in person. In addition, he's very sloth-like right now, and getting him off the couch is difficult, so getting him to run would be near-impossible lol. But I love the idea of finding an activity that he would like and then getting him accessories!! That just might inspire him....
    Lifting might also be an option for him, since he's not into anything that even looks like cardio lol. Unfortunately, he has zero desire to travel (I definitely didn't get that home-body gene from him, thankfully...I love to travel too), so traveling won't motivate him. Cycling is another good idea that he might be willing to try so long as it's indoors.

Thank you again for taking the time to give me so many suggestions; this was actually incredibly helpful and I'm going to bring this to him on our next call! <3
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    For someone who is really out of shape, a Fitbit can be really motivating. It helped me when I started here. It gave me an idea of how much I had moved in any given day (usually not much) and if he can take away the arbitrary 10,000 steps rule, and start where he is, he will probably increase activity naturally over time. I don't use mine anymore, and it's ancient. But that's because I am now so active, I don't need it. I keep track of steps for a work "step challenge" but in terms of being in shape, I don't need it. I found it really motivating (as opposed to depressing) and I eventually found other ways to be active that turned into workouts as I found things I learned that I liked. Early retirement sounds great, unless you kind of stop moving and/or taking care of yourself. There's to much life left to be unhealthy. And isn't enjoying retirement what we're all supposed to be working toward? Does he have an activity that he enjoys? Maybe the two of you could have a walking challenge, or get other family members to join?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Too old" really all too often starts in someone's head.

I'm fortunate in that I've always loved exercise and being active so that retiring at 57 was an opportunity to do more of the things I like without full time work and running my own business stealing most of my waking hours.
    Last year was my biggest ever cycling year with 359 hours / 5600+ miles and this year looks like I'll do more.
    I do long distance events where it's not unusual to see people in their 70's and even 80's cycling all day and at a decent pace, physically fit and mentally alert.

When I retired I knew the physical side would take care of itself for me just because I enjoy it but also had to consider how to keep mentally alert without the impetus of constant change that working for a living imposes on you. I started a completely different but part time and active job as a contrast and a challenge to learn new skills.
    I've discovered there's a big market for someone with a variety of skills from decorating, to fencing, to carpentry to tree surgery, general household repairs etc. etc.
    The demand is greater than I need (or want) so I can pick and choose interesting projects or choose to help nice people.

Your Dad needs to find a reason to engage his brain and do something with his time, hopefully the physical side of health would follow on.
    What skills or hobbies does he have or had in the past? IMHO the first step is just to get off the sofa and out of the house. I'm not convinced solo exercise indoors at home is the way forward (can't see it lasting long) - some social contact would be much better I would think. Would volunteering appeal to him? Helping others could be a big help to him too.

My birthday presents have included bike kit, sportswear and a variety of DIY tools.
    An activity tracker might provide some challenge and/or reveal to him how little he is moving.

• billybuff21
    billybuff21 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    As the others above have suggested a fitness tracker like Fitbit would be a good starter if you can get family and his friends involved. Being a sprightly 61 year old I have always exercised by walking and using gym so it’s just automatic for me each day. For your dad it’s getting engaged in something he likes or partaking in something with friends to get his mojo going.
  • middlehaitch
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Ooh @sijomial the latter half of your post hit on some of the things I was just going to post on- looking at past interests and social life especially.

Just from my observations, I am of that age group that friends and family are retiring/have retired like crazy. What I have observed in general is that my male friends have struggled more than my female friends with the adjustment. I don’t know why. I know my sister arranged with her company to back out of the job slowly reducing days per week. She had a retirement plan. Her husband retired, full stop and was lost so got a PT consulting job, then re retired.

If your dad isn’t into moving, exercise, or volunteering, maybe a part time job close to home would help jiggle him up a bit.

I say the above because it sounds as if he lives alone and doesn’t have the contacts/friends he had when working and that lack of social interaction can hit you hard.

There is also the whole thing of walking into a new environment when you are older (probably any age), it can be intimidating and, if some of those things are labeled ‘Pensioner’ specific, you can fight against the whatever because of that labeling, especially if you are on the younger side.

Another thing to look at is when he last had a check-up. He may be a little deficient on some vitamins, or he may be a little depressed.

It is a shame he isn’t into travel. Would he like to visit you? That could be a nice treat and you could plan some activities, at his level.

Oops, another thing. Read his local on line news paper etc and mention events upcoming in the area casually when you chat to him.
    (I did that with my mum in Scotland as I live in Canada. It ended up I’d suggest then she would report)

Cheers, h.

Ps, my son who is an iron man triathlete knew the last thing to do would be getting me a fitness tracker. I’m too contrary.
    I have never owned one so tend not to reccoment them.
  • tluisa311
    Options
    @girlwithcurls2 Unfortunately, he lives in RI and I live in VA. I'm an only child and he hasn't been close with his family since he re-married when I was 14. I think he suffers from depression, but would never admit it. Most of his siblings passed away before 60 and I think he just assumes this is the end for him, so he's not even putting in the effort.
    He used to like golfing, but I don't think he has anyone to play with at this point, and he wouldn't go alone. It's difficult when we're in 2 different states because I can't be there to drag him out of the house.
  • tluisa311
    Options
    @sijomial The only hobby he used to like is golf, but that was when he had people to golf with. His wife has kind of made it so that he is isolated and he seems to have accepted it. Essentially, he feels like getting drunk every day is what makes him "happy" and it really frightens me. My biggest fear is that it will be a huge health scare that wakes him up, but if that event puts him out of commission completely, then it will be too late.
    I'm hoping that if I share some success stories with him, he'll reconsider changing his lifestyle.
  • tluisa311
    Options
    @middlehaitch He lives with his wife, but she contributes to his isolation. She doesn't like him spending time with anyone other than her. I've tried to get him to visit me, but it's apparently a chore for him to travel, so he would prefer to wait until I come home to RI. When I lived in NC, he came to visit, and that's exactly what I did.... I scheduled activities that were active; mostly sight-seeing. He seemed annoyed that he couldn't just ride my couch for the week and he has never come to visit me since.
    I don't think he's passionate enough about anything to get him to volunteer, and I think the only place that I could convince him to get a part time job is at the pot shop lol. Although, it's actually not a bad idea since one opened up within 20 minutes of him. I will also take up your idea of checking the local events in his area and see if I can get him interested in anything coming up.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Oh @tpacheco311, I really feel for you. It is so hard when we can see a loved one needs help, but it is nigh on impossible to give any, or direct him to any.

Unfortunately, it really is down to him and his wife- all you can do is plant some subtle seeds and hope they take root.

This may not be immediate, but one day down the road your dad may come up with this bright idea and you will bash your head against a brick wall because you suggested it months ago and got poo-pooed, just be excited and cheer him on.

Try not to push, it’s hard because down the road you will always ask ‘could I have done more?’ Know that he is a grown man and able to make his own decisions, all you can do is leave a breadcrumb trail of hints and accept the choices he makes. (I know it breaks your heart)

I am assuming having a good heart to heart with his wife about your concerns is out of the question.

Cheers, h.
    (The bottle shop could get him out and socializing at least)
  • Get_Back_To_Feeling_Good
    Options
    Life is what we make of it and tell him it can be great! I retired at 52 and decided that I needed to get down from my strong 306 Lbs., frame, after 2 months of hard work down 27 but looking forward to the next 50 or so!
  • tluisa311
    Options
    @middlehaitch I do need to remember not to push, bc I think that will push him farther away from the idea.
    Unfortunately, a talk with his wife is definitely out of the question. She's always been insanely jealous of his relationship with me; to the point where she has accused him of cheating on her with me. She has tried going to counseling at his request, but didn't stick to it. She's just a few waves short of the beach and just despises my existence, so we don't talk.
    I might actually encourage him to ask the pot shop owner if they need any help the next time he is there.... he might actually like that idea. And then he would be socializing with people he has something in common with as well! Lol

Thank you again for all of your advice... it's been very helpful and you're right: I have to remember that he's a grown adult and I can't force him to make healthy decisions. That's the hardest part.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    This is a minefield.

1) Sometimes retired people believe they have earned the right to be sedentary (a nice way of saying lazy).
    2) You are his child. He may not appreciate the role reversal of you trying to parent him.
    3) For some people the more you try to encourage the more depressed or resentful they will get.

We see threads like this all the time and even when it involves a spouse it ultimately comes down to the fact they have to want to change. It is almost impossible to manipulate someone into it.

He sounds depressed and that should be the bigger worry right now. Depression is a downward spiral. You do less for yourself and others which makes you feel bad which results in doing even less which makes you feel worse, and down and down you go.

He needs something to start creating wins and moving back in an upward spiral. The easiest win is to help him find a purpose. A small manageable purpose that can build to something more. Try to think of a problem that he can help you with from his easy chair. Perhaps ask him for advice about something that he knows well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    My dad has gained a significant amount of weight since taking early retirement and his general health has been on a steady decline. He isn't doing anything active with his retirement, so his days consist of watching TV, drinking alcohol and eating.
    He now has back pain, that I'm assuming is a result of his sedentary life style. I'm very worried about his health and when I've discussed it with him, he tells me that he feels "too old" to get back in shape. I would love to hear some success stories and suggestions that I can relay back to him.
    For Father's Day, I would like to get him a gift that helps him get started with a healthier lifestyle, so any suggestions there would be helpful too!
    TYIA!!
    57 and in BETTER shape than many average 20 year olds. I workout daily and with the exception of leg day (my favorite workout day) my workouts are 30-45minutes. I only train one body part a day and DON'T diet but do watch my calorie intake.
    But it DOES take the desire to want to get in shape. He can be offered all the inspiration, encouragement, etc. but he's gotta want to make the change.
    Just start with something small like walking. If you have time, find a time that you can walk with him and shoot the bull to maybe inspire him. Sometimes just spending time with your family even if just for a 30 minute walk does wonders.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• tluisa311
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    TYIA!!
    57 and in BETTER shape than many average 20 year olds. I workout daily and with the exception of leg day (my favorite workout day) my workouts are 30-45minutes. I only train one body part a day and DON'T diet but do watch my calorie intake.
    But it DOES take the desire to want to get in shape. He can be offered all the inspiration, encouragement, etc. but he's gotta want to make the change.
    Just start with something small like walking. If you have time, find a time that you can walk with him and shoot the bull to maybe inspire him. Sometimes just spending time with your family even if just for a 30 minute walk does wonders.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Unfortunately, we live in 2 different states, so I can't be there to walk with him.
    He has told me that his appetite has really decreased over the past 5 years and he's not eating very much. Now, I'm not there to see it for myself, but I trust his judgement and I think his weight gain is really the result of the alcohol and his extremely sedentary lifestyle. I'm fairly certain that the only real movement he gets is when he cleans the house. He pretty much lives seated on his couch. His schedule is: eat, drink, nap, wake up, eat drink, bedtime. I feel like his body will go into rigor mortis at this rate!