Pictures over scale.... here is why :)

itsmira
itsmira Posts: 6 Member
Numbers suck!!!!! Just in case you are feeling discouraged by slow loss, it's important to remember that body composition changes and the scale doesn't communicate that. In 5 weeks I have a achieved 4.5 lbs loss.... I'm 5'2" so that also doesn't help but if it weren't for the pictures I might get discouraged. Buy a tripod (a little Bluetooth phone camera remote is also super helpful) and compare! Also, remember... 1 lb is equal to one cup of melted butter :)

afoykeyqvvu1.jpg

Replies

• Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    You make an excellent point! I do want to mention though that a pound a week (Or thereabouts) is an excellent rate of loss particularly for a smaller person. The less you have to lose, the slower it comes off, and your starting point is not that far away from my goal. So no need to be discouraged at all on any account.
  • itsmira
    itsmira Posts: 6 Member
    Rh1aB1a wrote: »
    Looking good, girl!!!

Why does butter have to be so delicious??? *Cry*

Haha Right?!? If I could survive on bread and butter I completely would lol

• Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    itsmira wrote: »

Thank you SO much! I guess in a world full of instant gratification we forget about moderate weight loss. I have to keep reminding myself of this.

You're welcome. I just wrote a whole thing about our skewed view of what real sustainable weight loss looks like - we all see the ads and the articles and everything about losing thirty pounds in a month or ten pounds in ten days or something equally insane. You are doing fabulously.
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 145 Member

Speaking as someone with body dysmorphia---excellent idea! I use tape measure to help me (lost to date almost 25 lbs and can't see change in mirror🤐). But photos being "one step removed" should help me see it!---Plus, kèping visual record of journey! Thanks for the timely input👍.
  • fitstrongfitlove
    fitstrongfitlove Posts: 58 Member
    This original post is inspiring. I am 53 yo and 5'2". I don't have a lot of weight to loose. The scale is moving so slowly.

I do a lot of yoga and Pilates. Sometimes I brush against a body part and it just feels different.

I think it's time to pull out the measuring tape and body fat callibrator.
  • sikorski
    sikorski Posts: 57 Member
    You're doing great! I'm 70, have a super-slow metabolism, and am 5'1". I've been persistently logging, eating mostly healthfully with some treats, and lost at a rate of about two pounds a month. I'd plateau for a while, then suddenly I'd be down two pounds. Keep going. You'll get there.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Now I'm thinking about homemade chocolate chip cookies... but also congrats, lookin' good!
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    I can sure see the difference and I’m glad you can too! Be patient. What you are doing is working.
  • jxk707
    jxk707 Posts: 2 Member
    That's fantastic! This is very encouraging. I'm 5'3", 60 yrs old, and I get so discouraged at seeing little to no weight loss that I give up and don't try to limit my calories. But this makes me rethink that. You are doing great!
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Numbers suck!!!!! Just in case you are feeling discouraged by slow loss, it's important to remember that body composition changes and the scale doesn't communicate that. In 5 weeks I have a achieved 4.5 lbs loss.... I'm 5'2" so that also doesn't help but if it weren't for the pictures I might get discouraged. Buy a tripod (a little Bluetooth phone camera remote is also super helpful) and compare! Also, remember... 1 lb is equal to one cup of melted butter :)

*BEST* post of the day! Thank you for the reminder.
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 92 Member

afoykeyqvvu1.jpg

Definitely see changes there. Congrats!

• PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 92 Member
    Sand_TIger wrote: »
    You make an excellent point! I do want to mention though that a pound a week (Or thereabouts) is an excellent rate of loss particularly for a smaller person. The less you have to lose, the slower it comes off, and your starting point is not that far away from my goal. So no need to be discouraged at all on any account.

Thank you SO much! I guess in a world full of instant gratification we forget about moderate weight loss. I have to keep reminding myself of this.

Agreed. This is why I don't really like reading those MFP articles that promote one form of weight loss that everyone says they shed 10 pounds per month. Slow and steady wins the race.

Instant gratification is everywhere. Moderation is out, excess is in. It takes effort to detach yourself from the constant push to indulge.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!