Hunger Busting Meals Needed!

Options
Help! I am tracking my calories and trying to make better choices about what foods I eat. However, I have noticed that some days, no matter what I eat, I am starving! I am getting sufficient calories throughout the day. This pattern typically starts in the mid-morning to lunch timeframe. Right now, I am not trying to cut calories, so my daily calorie goal is around 2,100. Even though I may eat 900 of those calories before lunch, on some days (its not every day, but I couldn't tell you anything special that marks these certain days) no matter what I eat I do not feel satiated. Does anyone have some good, easy to make hunger busting recipes or advice that could nip this problem in the bud early in the day? I'd like them to be under 500 calories. Thanks!

Erin

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    some people find meals higher in fat and protein to be more satiating, so not knowing what your avg macro breakdown is, maybe try eating more pro/fat
  • Jconner30
    Options
    Eat a TON of watermellon and other fruits like Pineapple and cantelope. Snack on grapes when you are wanting to eat some quick snacks on the go.

Eat a huge breakfast and during the day thrown in a whey protein and skim milk protein shake.
  • nirvana1
    Options
    Some people do get thirst and hunger mixed up, when your hungry try to drink some water first to see if that helps. I find porridge keeps me going till lunch, but if I don't keep myself busy I do start to think about snacking!
  • KatyLynn01
    Options
    If I don't eat protein for breakfast I am always ready for lunch by 10am! Try 1 egg, with a high fiber english muffin and half a piece of 2% cheese. I usually pair that with fruit or yogurt and a big cup of coffee and water and it tides me over much longer than cereal/oatmeal can. Then bring some pistachios to munch on before lunch if you need. Good luck!
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Lentils are your friend. I made myself a huge plate of red lentils flavoured with veg stock, coriander and curry powder (it goes like a risotto texture if you boil them in veg stock). Add in stir fried onions, garlic, tomatoes plus any other veg you fancy (just used a non stick pan, couple of sprays of 1 cal oil, some salt and pepper). And then stired it all together in the lentil pan. It made a huge (REALLY massive) bowl of food for around 300cals, really filling :)

If you're looking for snack food then try using 0% fat greek yoghurt like Fage Total (my fave food in the whole world), and add in what ever you like. Fruit, berries, protien powder, banana, honey, peanut butter. The high protein makes it filling, and really low in cals.

x
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is soooo filling and really low in calories. I can never finish my plate when I make this and am always under in calories :)
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This isn't a recipe, but it's a tip that might help. I find I get hungry long before lunch too, so what I started doing was eating a smaller breakfast and allowing myself that mid-morning snack. I've heard before that protein keeps you full longer, so I definitely include some protein with my breakfast, but I also find my brain doesn't register as full unless I've had some sugar, so usually my mid-morning snack is a bit on the sweet side.
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Help! I am tracking my calories and trying to make better choices about what foods I eat. However, I have noticed that some days, no matter what I eat, I am starving! I am getting sufficient calories throughout the day. This pattern typically starts in the mid-morning to lunch timeframe. Right now, I am not trying to cut calories, so my daily calorie goal is around 2,100. Even though I may eat 900 of those calories before lunch, on some days (its not every day, but I couldn't tell you anything special that marks these certain days) no matter what I eat I do not feel satiated. Does anyone have some good, easy to make hunger busting recipes or advice that could nip this problem in the bud early in the day? I'd like them to be under 500 calories. Thanks!

Erin

Had this problem when I started, and my calorie goal was the same. I stared eating 1 serving of oatmeal in between breakfast and lunch and another in between lunch and dinner. Its only 300 calories total, and is coats your stomach like cement. Its so effective at filling me up, that my wife has started doing it. Hope this helps.
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I also like egg, bread and cheese for breakfast. very filling
  • erinbynight
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips! I will definitely try the oatmeal tip, as that seems the most calorie friendly and practical way to not feel hungry. The lentils sound good too...and of course keeping protein filled foods around seems a better choice than a ton of bread (even if it is whole wheat). Sometimes...I feel like when I plan my meals around healthy foods for less calories, I can consume 40g of fiber! I try to drink lots of water to combat this, anyone else having this issue???
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I swear by drinking 250ml of water mixed with 2 table spoons of apple cider vinegar. It doesn't taste bad, it suppressed appetite and if you drink a glass before a meal it also doesn't allow carbs to deposit and store as fat.
  • abbyko
    abbyko Posts: 108
    Options
    Try this chicken and barley salad, it's just over 400 calories and is a TON of food and very filling.

http://lemonsavory.com/2011/07/10/a-pearl-of-a-salad/