How do you change your mind set?

mo2go
mo2go Posts: 29 Member
I have tried losing weight for years and my mind is spinning with 'don't eat that' now 'eat that'. Don't count calories, do count calories; count points, now just avoid carbs; this will be bad for you, now its good for you. I could list every program I have tried on here but it would be tedious. How do you unclutter the old habits and forget the dos and don'ts. I am finding this time around so hard. Inspiration/clarity needed for this 63 yr old please.

Replies

• Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    OMG! I am right there with you. I am 61 and have seen so many fads; various foods and food groups demonized over the years. It is ridiculous! Fit for Life, The Mayo Diet, Atkins, South Beach, the Zone, paleo, Whole 30...the list is endless. The all "seem" like they work because people lose weight and say the felt better while on them. Of course they felt better if they ditched the junk food in favor of lean proteins, fruits and vegetables. It makes my head explode. The truth is food is not our enemy. I am trying to look at food as nourishment. We are wired to enjoy eating because we need to eat to nourish our bodies so we can maintain good health and stay alive. I hate tracking but I find it does help me so I am doing it. I am unapologetically enjoying my food and focusing on good health habits. Weight is but one measure of health..there are other measures as well. I am trying to maintain the mindset that I am taking care of my health with good food, hydration and exercise. If I do that, the number on the scale will take care of itself.
  • mo2go
    mo2go Posts: 29 Member
    The most disturbing thing about this business is clothes sizing. Buying clothes can destroy self-esteem and each time the number goes up the more I feel deeper into this hole. I can rage in the UK from 18-24 which is so soul-destroying. I am finding it a bit more difficult to exercise than I used to, have been working from home for 18 months now 9-5 and at 5 I just do what I would usually do in the house. At work I would go out at lunch for a walk or even walking from the car to the office, now I walk upstairs. My mindset is blown. But I am recognising this now and trying to figure out how to get back on track.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    edited May 2021
    Calorie counting works. It has to work, it’s how our bodies are designed. Eat extra calories and they will be stored as fat. Eat at a calorie deficit and our bodies will draw down the reserve.

But calorie counting doesn’t work the way many people think. Calorie counting has 2 parts- the calorie deficit and living with it. People tend to go all in on the deficit and try to beat themselves into living with it. Generally doesn’t work for long.

Start a food diary, get a food scale to crunch the numbers and set about planning a menu and logging what you eat. Don’t go to pieces when you go over your number. And eventually you will go over. If you find you routinely go over, reset your calorie target to reflect reality. Keep tinkering and adjusting until you find a calorie deficit you can live with. Then stick with it. Weight loss is mostly about problem solving and persistence.

Noise- it isn’t easy to tune out the diet noise. But take a close look at where most of it comes from and it can be traced to people trying to sell something. And that includes the media’s take on the latest research reduced to clickbait that usually misstates what the research actually says. Sometimes the clickbait headline is actually opposite the real findings

Time- a lot of diet noise is about the time factor. The calendar is not a weight loss tool. Once you find a calorie deficit that you can live with resulting in consistent weight loss, ride the trend. If that turns out to be 2-3 lbs per month fine. Don’t mess with a plan that’s working. Possibly your brain is already screaming that 2 lbs a month is much too slow. Think back to your first weight loss effort and where you would be now losing .5 lbs per week. Time can be on your side if you let it.

But the diet “secret” has been hiding in plain sight, it’s the calorie deficit. How you get there doesn’t really matter. No need to shock, or reset your metabolism with special food. Just a calorie deficit and enough time for it to work. Good luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    All diets have one thing in common when losing weight...................calorie deficit. That being said, HOW you do it to be CONSISTENT is something you have to find out on your own.
    I myself DON'T encourage any of my clients to diet. I help them figure out the calorie count they need to lose weight, then I leave it up to them not to exceed it or eat too far below it.
    But habitual behavior takes time and PATIENCE. Problem for most people is they only go a month or less on a program with some success, then fail because they just don't stick to it. You REALLY have to WANT to be on that program.
    I'll be the first to say that I DON'T adhere to any "clean eating" or eating style that's considered "healthy" by the fitness industry's standards. I eat fast food, chips, donuts, fried foods, high amount of sugar and salt, etc. that all are considered TABOO by many eating plans. But it's because I know how to CONTROL my calories, that I don't get overweight.
    Find a style of eating you like. Stick to it for at least 3 months. Then reassess if you're progressing with it. If not, you can tweak it more by making small adjustments.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png