Weight Watchers

Options
2»

Replies

• louise_608
    louise_608 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, I didn't expect to get so many!
    After reading all your responses think I shall stick with MFP for now :-) As many of you have said there is a great support network on here and everyone has some great advice.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've done it many times over the years. They've recently changed the program to one that allows all the fruit you need to feel satisfied, without counting them toward your daily intake total. I had issues with the newest program and found my weight loss very inconsistent and painfully slow. I'd lose 1 pound/month but others around me were losing 5-10 pounds their first week and 2-3 pounds/week after. So, WW is a very good program for some but it wasn't good for me. I prefer counting calories, not figuring out points. I don't like having an ineffective, uninspiring leader and that's pretty common for WW. A good, motivating leader is a gem because they're hard to find.

Anyway, whatever you choose to do, good luck!

The fruit thing isn't quite accurate here. It doesn't count to your daily total, BUT you're limited to 5 portions of fruit and veg a day. This is the bit that I actually found really difficult as a vegetarian! I eat lots of fruit and veg. I ended up having to do silly calculations to work out what sort of point equivalent veg and fruit above this limit would be, and then had to quick add those. It just ended up messy and I found the mfp system easier.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My only real complaint about WW is that the new points system isn't as vegetarian-friendly as the old one.

I don't get that at all! I find the new program to be very vegan-friendly, so I don't see how it wouldn't be vegetarian-friendly.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I think we cross posted - I explained in my post above yours.
  • cwoods80
    cwoods80 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been on WW since February. I've lost 32.2 lbs and am now 15.8 lbs away from my goal weight. I did plateau for about five weeks recently, but have bursted through. I think a combo of WW and MFP helps a lot...I've been using it since the end of July with WW.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You aren't limited to 5 a day, that's the minimum. If I was limited to 5 veg/fruit a day, I would go crazy!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've done it many times over the years. They've recently changed the program to one that allows all the fruit you need to feel satisfied, without counting them toward your daily intake total. I had issues with the newest program and found my weight loss very inconsistent and painfully slow. I'd lose 1 pound/month but others around me were losing 5-10 pounds their first week and 2-3 pounds/week after. So, WW is a very good program for some but it wasn't good for me. I prefer counting calories, not figuring out points. I don't like having an ineffective, uninspiring leader and that's pretty common for WW. A good, motivating leader is a gem because they're hard to find.

Anyway, whatever you choose to do, good luck!

The fruit thing isn't quite accurate here. It doesn't count to your daily total, BUT you're limited to 5 portions of fruit and veg a day. This is the bit that I actually found really difficult as a vegetarian! I eat lots of fruit and veg. I ended up having to do silly calculations to work out what sort of point equivalent veg and fruit above this limit would be, and then had to quick add those. It just ended up messy and I found the mfp system easier.

I think you misunderstood the GHG. It's not a limit, it's a minimum. You should have a MINIMUM of 5 fruits and veggies a day, not a maximum.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Well, I'm pretty sure I didn't misunderstand.... When the programme was first introduced, the 'free fruit' thing became a teensy bit of a problem as people were going wild on it and stopped losing. So the leaders and the online community started talking about the five portion as a maximum. Five of each.

Perhaps the US is different, but this is certainly how the UK system was evolving.

Incidentally, I found that if I did treat fruit as 'free' without the portion limit, and still ate to my points... I stopped losing.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm pretty sure I didn't misunderstand.... When the programme was first introduced, the 'free fruit' thing became a teensy bit of a problem as people were going wild on it and stopped losing. So the leaders and the online community started talking about the five portion as a maximum. Five of each.

Perhaps the US is different, but this is certainly how the UK system was evolving.

Incidentally, I found that if I did treat fruit as 'free' without the portion limit, and still ate to my points... I stopped losing.

Definitely different in the US. But were they saying that as a guideline for those who were going overboard or were they saying it was a rule? There's a huge difference there.

That said, I seriously thought the free fruit was a mistake. Fruit is very healthy, but it's also pretty high in calories. It had points on the old system and should have had points on Points Plus. Veggies are different since the non-starchy ones are SO low in calories.
  • ivansmomma
    Options
    I was on weight watchers..it works...I stop doing it because I found MFP for free.:laugh:

Me, too! WW is a great tool, been a member off and on since the 70's (okay, so I'm a bit older lol). I do like MFP better, but that's just my opinion. It's whatever works personally for you.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I was on weight watchers..it works...I stop doing it because I found MFP for free.:laugh:

^^^ This applies to me as well. I was even a lifetime member for a few years before regaining some of the weight after a pregnancy that ended in a miscarriage late last year. I joined MFP a few months after the miscarriage and found that it works at least as well as weight watchers. MFP being free is a bonus to me!
  • JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have done weight watchers in the past as well, a few times.

The last time I lost 30 lbs, then hit a plateau I couldn't seem to break. Then they brought in the new program and I ended up gaining. So after a few weeks of that I had enough of spending money to gain weight.

I know it works for many people, but I am glad I have found MFP, for free and am able to track everything easier than I did with WW and counting points.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I did WW for almost two years and lost 84 lbs. The counting of points becomes second nature after awhile. I had to stop because of the price and boy did the weight come back on fast. I have been on MFP for almost a month now and find it easier than WW and just as effective, I have lost almost 15lbs in a month!!!! MFP is GREAT!!!!!!!