Hitting a wall...where do I go from here?!?!

Options
I was doing so well...and then I hit a plateau...and then I gave up...started to do well again...and now I've hit a wall...so I only have myself to blame...no point in saying it's my husband's fault, or anything...I've gained back 6 lbs in less than 2 weeks...that's horrible...uugh...

Help!

Should I do a cleanse, fast, kick myself in the butt?! I'm so lost...

Replies

• vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Don't cleanse, that's a waste of time and money and when you're done cleansing you'll gain it all back.

Just pick yourself up and start again. To break through a plateau, you have to eat more food. It doesn't have to be much, 200 calories more a day. I did it (went from 1300 to 1600) and lost 5 pounds last month.
  • viper18062
    Options
    you should read my blog... i put some supplements in there that you can take... they work awesome and all natural
  • shefali23
    Options
    WIth your workouts try using a weighted vest. It kind of helps you through.
  • GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree with adding a few more calories...and alter your workout routine as well.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Kick your butt...back into gear. Fasts/cleanses are not things I would suggest. Go buy some veggies and lean meats, and drag yourself to the gym/out on a run, and get your motivation back. You can do this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I was doing so well...and then I hit a plateau...and then I gave up...started to do well again...and now I've hit a wall...so I only have myself to blame...no point in saying it's my husband's fault, or anything...I've gained back 6 lbs in less than 2 weeks...that's horrible...uugh...

Help!

Should I do a cleanse, fast, kick myself in the butt?! I'm so lost...
    A plateau is no weight loss after 6 weeks or more of consistent calorie deficit. If you haven't been consistent, then you're in a stall.
    Get back to being consistent first. "Cleanses" are BS and a waste of money.
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    No cleanse ...... youll only gain back what you lose.....try eating really clean for the next few days.....let your body reboot itself....this works for me Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • abgoins512
    Options
    My big problem is that I don't even get closet o my calorie intake daily...I have to eat so much food and I don't normally eat that much. I barely eat 1000/day, and I'm eatting 3 full healthy meals some days, including 2 snacks, and it's still not enough. I don't want to overeat, but I want to reach my goals...
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Kick your butt...back into gear. Fasts/cleanses are not things I would suggest. Go buy some veggies and lean meats, and drag yourself to the gym/out on a run, and get your motivation back. You can do this.
    Agreed. Don't be a statistic! Imagine gaining all the weight back? Or even more? Not cool. Don't let it happen. Only YOU can make it not happen.
  • rachel_onamission
    Options
    I did the same thing..I went for an entire month without losing a single pound and still was eating good and exercising. I was so frusterated and discouraged!!!

I changed workouts..I went from running/jogging/walking every day and exercising on my elliptical to doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I think my body was getting used to my exercise routine, once I switched to something else I started losing again. :)

Chin up sweetie, dont give up and keep fighting! Try altering your exercising and see if that helps...I know everyone is different, but it sure worked for me!
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is to weigh/measure and log your food. Every single thing you put in your mouth.

I looked at your diary and noticed that you haven't logged anything all last week, and that's a key problem. its impossible for you (or us) to see where you are going wrong, and what you need to change if you don't see very clearly what you have done.

My best advice is to stick to a healthy eating program with lots of veggies, fruit and lean proteins. If you feel hungry or deprived it becomes too hard to stick to. If after a while of doing that you still aren't losing, then its worth a talk with your doctor as perhaps there are other things at place.

Best wishes! I know you can do this! :)
  • Dandersonjr32
    Options
    I agree, don't cleanse. It's all a bunch of bunk. There was an episode of Penn & Teller's B*llsh*t where they went over the cleansing phenomenon and every medical doctor they talked to said it's a fallacy. One was funny enough to say, "There's nothing that can clean the nooks and crannies of your colon. It's a smooth muscle, not an English Muffin, there are no nooks and crannies."

Plateau = change things up. Either eat more and intensify the workout, or eat less and intensify the workout. Either way, intensify the workout, change it. Go from a cardio-centric work out to a strength based workout, whatever, just change it up.

BTW - there's no scientific proof or clinical studies that shows any supplements / diet pills / acai juice or anything like that actually works. Remember, I'm talking science, clinically approved studies. There's a lot of claims, no studies. What works 100% of the time is sweat in the gym and eating a healthy diet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    My big problem is that I don't even get closet o my calorie intake daily...I have to eat so much food and I don't normally eat that much. I barely eat 1000/day, and I'm eatting 3 full healthy meals some days, including 2 snacks, and it's still not enough. I don't want to overeat, but I want to reach my goals...
    Then eat more calorie dense foods.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Congrats...you've caught yourself only 6 pounds in. That's a huge step. Next, I see you haven't logged in quite a while. Start logging everything. Starting right now. Now is the new beginning!! You can do it!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

You just answered your own question in a way. Eating 1000 cals a day is going to stall your metabolism, and that's the cause of plateaus. Eat more as some have suggested, and change your exercise routine a little.
  • dawnm92
    dawnm92 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

What can you eat in "3 full healthy meals and 2 snacks" that only adds up to 1000 calories? I certainly can't have 3 meals and 2 snacks for 1000 cals. I definitely need to know your secret because 1000 calories makes me feel like I'm starving to death!
  • abgoins512
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is to weigh/measure and log your food. Every single thing you put in your mouth.

I looked at your diary and noticed that you haven't logged anything all last week, and that's a key problem. its impossible for you (or us) to see where you are going wrong, and what you need to change if you don't see very clearly what you have done.

My best advice is to stick to a healthy eating program with lots of veggies, fruit and lean proteins. If you feel hungry or deprived it becomes too hard to stick to. If after a while of doing that you still aren't losing, then its worth a talk with your doctor as perhaps there are other things at place.

Best wishes! I know you can do this! :)

I haven't been able to log for the last week or so because of the stupid hurricane knocking out my power, lol. And on top of that we had no food in the house so we were having to go out to eat, which I was trying to get healthy stuff to eat, so it was just a sucky 2 weeks, lol.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i had three female cousins do a fast/clense/ juice diet. they saw great results. they lost tons of weight over the course of a month, at the expense of having any kind of energy or personality. seriously, who cares if you are in a constant bad mood as long as the pounds are dropping. oh, and then they gained it all back the moment they stopped the whole thing.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Calorie dense foods are going to be the best way to go. Add avocado to a salad, nuts/nut butter ( I really like Justin's Maple Almond butter) it add some calories to a banana or an apple without being heavy and it's delicious.

I feel you though, I started eating "clean" and trying to get all my calories in, especially on a high burn day, it feels impossible, but we can do it!
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Three letters..... G.P.S.

You're welcome