Myfitnesspal

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Diabetes Type 2

mariakershaw123mariakershaw123 Member, Premium Posts: 12 Member Member, Premium Posts: 12 Member
Having just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I thought I’d post a topic re all things diabetes type 2. I am completely new to this and looking for as much support as possible

Replies

• spiriteagle99spiriteagle99 Member Posts: 3,153 Member Member Posts: 3,153 Member
    When my husband was diagnosed with T2D, he took a class on Type 2 that included a nutritionist who explained how his diet should change. It is a good idea if you can get access to one.
  • Kupla71Kupla71 Member Posts: 251 Member Member Posts: 251 Member
    I don’t have diabetes but I was recently diagnosed with pre diabetes. My dietician recommended a low carb diet. Not as low as keto but between 99 and 120 grams of carbs a day. I think the main priority right now for me is to lose weight as that is putting me at risk. Do you have a dietician? I’ve just been learning about all of this over the past week so really can’t offer much help. Just here to support you and wish you well! 😊
  • FishysAvengerFishysAvenger Member Posts: 2 Member Member Posts: 2 Member
    Hello, I am pre diabetic for the last few years. I am coming back here to have better health and the first step was to lose some weight. I can't really offer any advice as I am also looking for some answers too, but would be more than willing to give some support. I can tell you that I have been doing this for about 20 days now and lost almost 10 lbs. I had a friend of mine check my blood sugar and the number had dropped to 96. I have given up my soda which I think made a major difference.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970Megan_smartiepants1970 Member, Premium Posts: 22,266 Member Member, Premium Posts: 22,266 Member
    I was diagnosed with T2 back in 2019 when I was hospitalized for the flu/pneumonia for 9 days ...I was sent home with many meds including Insulin .... I am happy to report I am off all meds for T2 ...I am now considered pre-diabetic and I have lost 55 lbs .........You can turn yours around too .... wishing you much success :)
  • tsazanitsazani Member Posts: 758 Member Member Posts: 758 Member
    A T2D patient needs to drastically reduce BOTH sugar (insulin) and stress (cortisol) if he wishes to control or reverse his T2D without meds.

A LCHF / keto diet is a must. A good night's sleep reduces a lot of stress.

Being overweight, obese, pre-diabetic, and T2D are NOT diseases. It is your body's protective adaptations to decades of too much sugar and stress.

Be careful. Most physicians and dieticians do still do not understand this.
  • JadedragginJadedraggin Member, Premium Posts: 15 Member Member, Premium Posts: 15 Member
    My HMO offered classes and a meeting with a dietician first thing when I was diagnosed. My dietician recommended a book "The Joselin Guide to Diabetes." I think you can find it on Amazon.